The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » I'v Had An Odd Training Ground (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I have had an odd training ground for magic. For over 45 years I have been a professional photographer doing mostly school work. I have been shooting opening color sections for yearbooks in colleges and High Schools as well as the group and candid work. This has entailed spending days in a school roaming classrooms and hallways with a few of my yearbook staff kids.

It has given me the opportunity (necessity) to spend a lot of time talking with students in both private and public schools. I have always done impromptu magic as I roam the schools, and my “photo jackets” have provided me with ample “pocket management” for magic.

I started doing more formal magic shows in class rooms about 30 years ago and small stage and walk-around jobs shortly afterwards. I was very lucky to have been able to sit with kids in the lunchrooms of the schools after doing a paid show to find out what they liked and did not like. It changed the way I evaluated what was working well or not so well. I was still doing this until about two years ago when approaching blindness started taking over my life.

I still do magic, but have to limit it to smaller venues like small parties. I still do work with teachers in classroom magic for History and Psychology classes. And I will always do Special Ed classes without charge whenever asked. I also spend some time in a magic shop teaching and demonstrating magic.

Nice meeting you all,

Bob Johnston

(Wellington is my user name here on the forum and the name of my rabbit…Wellington is the one the kids remember.)
Smile
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Hi Bob!

Welcome to the Café!

It sounds like you've got a lot of good experience in magic (especially with handling kids--I'm fourteen and I know what high-schoolers can be like).

I think you'll make a great addition here and I look forward to reading your posts.

Emily Belleranti
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Bob,

What a nice introduction about yourself. Emily is right it sounds like you have a wealth of information you can share with the other members. The Café is lucky to have you join.

Pull up a chair,grab a coffee and get comfortable and prepare for lots of reading. Don't hesitate to ask or post questions.

Welcome! Smile
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Bob,

Welcome to the Café. I have found this group to be wonderfully supportive. With so many people that come with knowledge such as yourself, it is fun to glean for you guys!

Thanks,

John
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Great to have you here, its nice to see how everyone has different interests and common indulgences like magic.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Bob Smile Smile Smile
Wlcome to the family. WOW I am amazed . Your magical bakground is older than me. Smile so if we expect too much it should not be a surprise for you. We all expect you to share your experience with us. Please enjoy a cup of strong Turkish Coffee on my bill while you begin to type your next posts.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » I'v Had An Odd Training Ground (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL