The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tacky spray for fingers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Hi, is there something I could spray or rub onto my fingers to get a tackiness on them. I sometimes have a tough time with the Three Shell game, and other props with my fingers not getting a grip.

Actually I'll piggyback another question on this post which could also be related, does anyone have a recommendation for any easy to grip Shells, for the Three Shell game?
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
If you go to Staples, this is what I use when I need a better grip for cards, coins paper money etcc....

http://www.staples.com/Lee-Sortkwik-Hygi......t_901561
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That 'SORTKWIK' is great stuff! --and readily available!

I also have had good luck with "Bowler's Grip". Find it at bowling alleys.

60 yeas ago, I bought a piece of cloth (like a shoe shine rag)impregnated with a slightly sticky material--bees wax + ?--from Will Lindhorst (old dealer in St. Louis). It finally wore out, and I've never found a replacement.

CHAMBERLAIN'S 'GOLDEN TOUCH' hand lotion is what I use today. I gave some to a pal, Jon Racherbaumer, and he is now my friend FOREVER!!!

It's available at some drug stores. Here's the info:

http://www.chamberlainlotion.com

I think I paid about $5.00 for an 8.5 ounce bottle, a couple years ago. Put some in an 'atomizer' spray bottle and a "little dab will do ya!"

The only reason that I mention Chamberlain's, it that people's 'body chemistry' varies. What works for 'me' may not work for you.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Ron Conley tells me he used to use toothpaste for his manipulation act; never tried it myself.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I went to a local music store and picked up a small box of rosin for a violin, I rub the edges of my Morgan dollars across it and they palm like a dream (they darn near hold themselves in place) you can crumble a wee little piece between your finger and thumb and hold shells easily. Only $5 for a pretty good supply
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey, I SHOULD have thought of rosin! (Circus background) Thanks! Poof Daddy!

I'll 'file' this in my 'things to know' file.

Happy to hear that you are recovering. (You are now in my 'prayer' file!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
A friend of mine passed along a tip for manipulators. He pours a bit of Coca Cola over his fingers!!! I haven't tried it, but am just passing it along.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Neutrogena hand cream norwegian formula is what I currently use. It doesn'trub off on your props and it dries quickly.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
If my hands are dry when doing card work, I've keep a small spritzer spray bottle of glycerin and rose water handy. It gives you a bit of a tacky touch. A small pre-mixed container of this from Walgreens is only a couple of dollars.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Darn it, forgot the actual name of this item that I have - any hardware store - painting section, a cheesecloth coated in some tacky solution. yellowish in color.
I use sortwick and rosin also.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's simply called a "Tack Rag"

It's used to wipe off sawdust and fine bits before painting/varnishing.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Bingo, thanks Dave V!
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
Corn huskers lotion works great for me...
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 01:32, Ojasa wrote:
Corn huskers lotion works great for me...

I agree with this also, I use the just for general purpose and it does leave a bit of grip to your skin.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Home Depot has an excellent product called "O'Keeffes Working Hands". It helps to heal cracks and splits in your skin and lubricates the skin gently providing a mild tack. Excellent for coin or card work.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Do you really want to apply a chemicle to your hands? If you need a little bit of stick do a fake cough then lick your fingertips in the process. The last thing I want in my prop case is a can, doesn't matter what it is, just for making my fingers sticky. It just seems heavy and bulky.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
I have it on pretty good authority that this stuff:

http://www.greenlightoffice.com/office/s......ink.html

...is the same formulation as Michael Skinner's Edge Card Creme.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tacky spray for fingers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL