We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » One Handed Oxy Clean Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Always a day late and a dollar short... yea... I know... Oxy Clean and the various manufacturers of the requisite coins have been probed, peeled and dissected for a number of years on the Café and I've done my due diligence by trying to read all those threads, watch all the videos and I've even purchased a copy one of Eric Jones' notes and purchased a used set of the gaffs.

By expertise I've been a performing comedy magician, mentalist and show producer. I can get by with 20 minutes of very entertaining close up, but most of what makes my close up act watchable is the "sleight of mouth" (as said by Arthur Emerson) more than sleight of hand. Even after 50 years piddling with magic I still can't do a decent "pass."

Which brings me to the topic of this thread... a One Handed Oxy Clean Routine. Of course, one handed, I'm not sure it should still be called Oxy Clean... but I digress. I was trying to work out the "moves" in Eric's "Fingertips" lecture notes, and between struggling with his text describing the routine from the perspective of a left-handed person and my general ineptness with finger flicking... I came up with something a bit different. Except for the appearance of the first coin and the vanish of the last coin, I'm producing and vanishing all of the other coins while they lay flat on my outstretched fingers of my left hand.

Question... has anyone worked on a basically one handed routine of this sort? Am I reinventing the wheel? Why is the price of gasoline so high?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
But you have TWO hands??? Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 12:12, David Neighbors wrote:
But you have TWO hands??? Smile

And the extra one gets in the way.

So maybe this idea shouldn't even be referenced as a "one handed Oxy Clean" routine. It's more addressing using a OXF set to produce three coins, in one hand, with the other hand ONLY coming near the hand holding the coins at the initial appearance of the single coin and the final vanish of the single coin. The coins are not held at the fingertips, simply laying on the fingers of the hand, palm up, and with a simple twist of the wrist... a second coin appears lying on top of the first coin and again... a third coin appears... and then they vanish... one at a time. What I'm curious about is has anyone attempted a similar routine... either with gaffs or pure sleights?

But thank you for the anatomy lesson Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Can you show this on a video?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 13:46, Mb217 wrote:
Can you show this on a video?

Er... no... I'm just asking a simple question... has anyone tried using a OXF (or similar) coin set to perform something like a one handed, on the fingers appearance of 3 coins and then back to no coins? I'll describe what I've been working on...

1) Make a single coin appear using your favorite method.

2) Open your left hand, palm up and lay that coin on the fingers (not in the palm)

3) Leaving your left hand open (don't close it) twist your wrist, palm goes down facing floor, twist your wrist, palm facing up, you have two coins laying side by side.

4) repeat step 3... you now have 3 coins laying on your fingers, overlapping, side by side.

5) reverse the moves.

6) vanish the single coin using your favorite method.

Capice?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Giocomo bertini (sp) does that kind of thing in his lecture/dvd using EG.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 14:35, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Giocomo bertini (sp) does that kind of thing in his lecture/dvd using EG.

Ah... an answer... I'll look into finding that material. Thanks.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

No not An anatomy lesson, But I see these guys Using one Hand just to SHOW OFF!!! But if you are holding the coins in the outer hand As you say it's not one handled ! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 18:02, David Neighbors wrote:
No not An anatomy lesson, But I see these guys Using one Hand just to SHOW OFF!!! But if you are holding the coins in the outer hand As you say it's not one handled ! Smile

My idea wasn't to show off... I'm so far from that good with sleights that showing off never entered my mind... what I routined was because I found it much easier to produce the 2nd and 3rd coins using one hand. And David, you're splitting hairs... perception is 90% of the magic... the spectator(s) will perceive that all the magic is happening in the left hand.

And besides... what's wrong with showing off? If it's entertaining and it fools the spectators, then you've accomplished your job. I don't think we are following a "bible" of what we do and how we do it. You're always spouting off about individuality and making an effect your own... so that's what I'm trying to do... in my feeble way.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Spouting Off ??? Sorry If it sounds that way!!! Smile Yea they will see That the magic Is all done with one hand But it's not like your saying " Look I but the other Outer hand Behind my back and this all happens With one Hand! " And There is nothing wrong With a little Showing off!
You almost Need that these days! Smile But I think that some of these kids take it to way to far ! But hay Maybe That's just Me. Smile
I am from the old school And want it to all to just to look like magic! And I see that you are From Conifer Co. I live in Denver Co. If you ever get down here let me know And we will Hang! ")
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 18:40, David Neighbors wrote:
Spouting Off ??? Sorry If it sounds that way!!! Smile Yea they will see That the magic Is all done with one hand But it's not like your saying " Look I but the other Outer hand Behind my back and this all happens With one Hand! " And There is nothing wrong With a little Showing off!
You almost Need that these days! Smile But I think that some of these kids take it to way to far ! But hay Maybe That's just Me. Smile
I am from the old school And want it to all to just to look like magic! And I see that you are From Conifer Co. I live in Denver Co. If you ever get down here let me know And we will Hang! ")

Then we come from the same school. Except my first qualifier is I want it to be entertaining. I've seen a hell of a lot of stuff that looks REALLY magical... and the entertainment value is nil.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

David, imagine a thirsty performer holding a glass of water. A coin, then two more appear in his free hand. As he talks the coins vanish one at a time. when he takes a sip of water again he finds the coins in his glass. It can be about entertainment. It's up to the performer to choose what to present to his audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 18:40, David Neighbors wrote:
[snip]

And I see that you are From Conifer Co. I live in Denver Co. If you ever get down here let me know And we will Hang! ")

[snip]

If I evah git down their? Well sometime ma and I git into the big city.... usually ta buy some provisions that we can't kill up here. Ya know, the utter day I made ah whole set of expandy shells by wackin' on some garden hose couplin's and then gluing a kendaddy half on the tops of the couplin's. I'll take you up on the offer some day... as long as I kin bring along my pet baer.

I'll PM you mah telephony number... sometime we kin talk.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-08 18:56, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

David, imagine a thirsty performer holding a glass of water. A coin, then two more appear in his free hand. As he talks the coins vanish one at a time. when he takes a sip of water again he finds the coins in his glass. It can be about entertainment. It's up to the performer to choose what to present to his audience.

Hay You Have hit On it! Smile You not Have a reason To do it with one Hand! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Hi Al,
Cool Man Yea We will Go out And Kill A cow!!! Smile

And sorry I don't know how the not Got in there! Smile

And Al it's sent!

And Jonathan that not one handed the outer hand Is holding the Glass! Smile But that sounds cool man! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
So... as a side note... I got this OXF coin from Schoolcraft (I'm not crazy about the quality, it's nice, but not super nice for the price... but that's a different story)... what in Houdini's name does OXF stand for?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » One Handed Oxy Clean Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL