The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What police officers think (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 22:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 22:23, landmark wrote:
Then are the people of a state or city allowed to define what those limits should be? Such as the people of NYC or Chicago or DC?

No. "The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution."

The people can take a crack at it, but ultimately, it's not their call.

But Woland just admitted to Bob that there were limits--no fighter jets, etc.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
By the way, please explain to me why "universal background checks" for the purchase of a firearm are not an infringement on the people's inalienable rights, but showing a picture I.D. before voting would be.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 10:37, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 22:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 22:23, landmark wrote:
Then are the people of a state or city allowed to define what those limits should be? Such as the people of NYC or Chicago or DC?

No. "The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution."

The people can take a crack at it, but ultimately, it's not their call.

But Woland just admitted to Bob that there were limits--no fighter jets, etc.

The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of what those limitations are, NOT local authorities and states.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, thanks for the clarification--then we are back to square one it seems to me--either everyone has the right to a gun without restriction, or there are limitations that may not vary from state to state.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 11:03, Woland wrote:
By the way, please explain to me why "universal background checks" for the purchase of a firearm are not an infringement on the people's inalienable rights, but showing a picture I.D. before voting would be.

The gun control lobby just wants to make sure that only white people can afford guns. At least that's the explanation when it comes to voter I.D.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What police officers think is that everywhere should be a police state.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-14 12:01, landmark wrote:
Ah, thanks for the clarification--then we are back to square one it seems to me--either everyone has the right to a gun without restriction, or there are limitations that may not vary from state to state.

Sort of, but not quite. The Supreme Court has held that reasonable regulations of firearms are constitutional. What those "reasonable regulations" are is the issue that constantly goes before the Court. They don't issue advisory opinions and only rule when there is an actual case or controversy before them. Very often their decisions will be limited to the specific facts before them in a given case.

That said, a State may grant its own citizens rights that are greater than those granted in the Federal Constitution, but NOT the other way around. (I.e., they may not have greater restrictions.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 12:25, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 12:01, landmark wrote:

Sort of, but not quite. The Supreme Court has held that reasonable regulations of firearms are constitutional. What those "reasonable regulations" are is the issue that constantly goes before the Court. They don't issue advisory opinions and only rule when there is an actual case or controversy before them. Very often their decisions will be limited to the specific facts before them in a given case.

That said, a State may grant its own citizens rights that are greater than those granted in the Federal Constitution, but NOT the other way around. (I.e., they may not have greater restrictions.)

Well-explained.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ye shall know them by their fruits.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The final straw when I dropped my NRA membership was when they attacked McCain for wanting instant background checks available for gun show sales. I was in no way a McCain supporter but I thought instant background checks were a good idea.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
The gun control lobby just wants to make sure that only white people can afford guns. At least that's the explanation when it comes to voter I.D.

As you may know, Lobo, that was in fact the reason for the first "gun control" laws in the United States.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And it's not exactly ancient history. The NRA famously flip-flopped on gun control back when the Black Panthers were around. Interestingly, I'm not aware of any similar NRA attitude toward White Supremacist's or right- wing militia group's right to bear arms.

Quote:
In the 1960s, the NRA continued to support gun control, a wave which was fueled by the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy, Senator Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, and the racial strife and violent uprisings in the nation’s urban centers.

The organization actively lobbied in favor of the Gun Control Act of 1968, which banned gun sales by mail, and enacted a system of licensing those people and companies who bought and sold firearms. Franklin Orth, then the executive vice president of the NRA, said that although certain aspects of the law “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

During that time, the NRA and conservative politicians such as California Governor Ronald Reagan supported gun control as a means of restoring social order, and getting weapons out of the hands of radical, left-leaning and revolutionary groups, particularly the Black Panther Party.

Responding to the perceived failures of the nonviolent civil rights movement, the Black Panthers took a more militant and uncompromising approach of the fallen leader Malcolm X. Led by figures including Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale, the Panthers’ “by any means necessary” approach included a most aggressive gun ownership policy to protect their communities from police abuse.

Beginning in 1966, the Panthers carried out police patrols, in which they rushed to the scene of an arrest with their loaded weapons publicly displayed, and notified those being arrested of their constitutional rights. California state legislator Don Mulford introduced a bill to repeal the state law allowing citizens to carry loaded guns in public if they were openly displayed. Mulford had the Panthers in mind with this legislation.

On May 2, 1967, a group of Black Panthers protested the bill by walking into the California State Capitol Building fully armed. In response, the legislature passed the Mulford Act. And Gov. Reagan, who was a major proponent of disarming the Panthers, signed the bill into law, effectively neutralizing the Panther Police Patrols.

Yet, in the 1970s the NRA began to shift their direction rightward and actively lobby for gun rights. Their chief lobbyist, Harlon Carter, was a former border control agent and staunch supporter of gun rights. In 1977, Carter and his faction staged a coup within the NRA, against an establishment that wanted to shift away from gun control and crime in favor of conservation and sportsmen’s issues.

With the Black Panther Party and other left wing gun control foes out of the picture, the new hardline NRA feared the government would similarly take away their guns. Further, these predominantly white and conservative gun rights advocates in the NRA shared the Panthers’ distrust of the police.

Full article, which also discusses the attitude toward gun control in the early years of the Republic (which was NOT reflective of the NRA position today) at: http://thegrio.com/2013/01/11/nra-was-pr......anthers/
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Here is a somewhat more scholarly review of the history of racist gun control laws in the US. And here is one from the George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal. And another review is here.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

By the way, the NRA in the 1960s was a very different organization than it is now in many respects. As noted in the article you cite, the NRA had become another hunting and sportsman's club at the time it supported gun control measures such as those you now think it was wrong to support, because of the racial angle. It was in the late 1970s that the NRA began to see itself as primarily a civil rights organization, dedicated to preserving those of our inalienable rights that are protected by the Second Amendment. If I were to point out to you, for example, that it was the Democratic Party that was the traditional home of the Ku Klux Klan, and that it was the Democratic Party which preserved Jim Crow for many decades, you would tell me that the Democratic Party today is not what it was, and you would likely think I was being unfair for tarring the present Democratic Party with that old brush. Same thing here.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

No. I'd just point out that those Jim Crow era Democrats simply left the party and joined the Republican party, who welcomed them with open arms. Smile

But I always laugh when I see the NRA promoting itself as a civil rights organization, because the term usually is used in reference to minority rights bestowed under the 13th and Fourteenth Amendments.

When is the last time, if ever, that the NRA marched for the equal rights of minorities?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When has the NRA - since it redefined itself as a civil rights organization - ampaigned for any racial or minority limit on the Second Amendment? And why should only minorities have their civil rights protected?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
As the lethality of firepower and technology in Western military forces has increased over the years, Eastern military forces have found ways to counter this through better tactical technique utilize tiny surprise oriented manuever elements. These tiny surprise oriented manuever elements which are also proficient in the use of military deception can be a formidable foe against even the most lethal and technologically advanced forces.

Tiny surprise oriented manuever elements which are mobile, fast and proficient in deception are good in both conventional total war as well as unconventional 4th generation warfare. It is my view that overwhelming firepower and superior technology can only do so much and that Western military forces must follow suit in adapting better tactical technique and make better use of light infantry.

I have heard that Israel in one of it's wars had to learn the hard way about the importance of the infantry. I think in many cases, Western military forces under-estimate the value of light infantry and tiny surprise oriented elements because we tend to think big rather than think small. Thinking small can actually accomplish big things over time.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi General Magician, it seems that you are familiar with the writings of Colonel John Poole.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Let's take to heart the posting guidelines from 2002, which Mr. Brooks was prompted to underscore in a private message that I think went out to all of us:

Quote:
If you're tempted to:

Post a funny message

Send or post an angry message

Be sarcastic or ironic

Criticize others in The Café

Post a message late at night

Post a message about a person that you wouldn't want them to see

Post a message full of spelling and grammar errors

Post a message that is inflamatory, or possibly offensive to others

Post an article you copied from another website.

Please think twice. Ask somebody else to talk you out of it. Ask a Café staff member.

These posts will be edited or deleted with no questions asked

Over and out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What police officers think (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL