The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Comments to my card manipulation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 17:57, elliottmagic wrote:
I'm sorry, I am obviously mentored by Jeff McBride, but my personal feelings are that split fans are less convincing if you don't re fan the stack. If you just toss them away immediately after like cardini, then it works, but if you don't throw them away immediately and let them see that you are closing the fan, it gets secpicious.
On the other hand, I do agree that there is no correct way to do manipulation, everyone is different, so it's what ever works for you and looks good. But if steals arent convincing, then you should practice more, or change it.
When working with McBride, he taught me that it is better to do table steals than flash body steals. But if you look at Ahn Ha Lim, he has obviously practices his butt off, and thus his steals are practically invisible. If you don't use a mirror and a video camera during rehearsal, then you will not got good steals in the end. I recommend that right now in your career, that you minimize the amount of body loads you use and work out of a table. It is much more practical. Because the truth of the matter is, there are few magicians today that perfom in theatre situations, today there are a lot of commando situations that body steals wouldn't work in. So prepair an act that people will be able to see at the events that you perform at instead of flashing steals to people at bad angles. Be prepared I'd all I'm saying.
If less professionals use table steals, then I would recommend it to give you some variety. But make sure to practice in a camera and mirror to perfect them

Oh I definitely agree with you about the spilts. If you're going to use the Cardini method you MUST throw and split in 1 motion. Otherwise as you said, you have that suspicious opening and closing action prior to the toss.

-Leo
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
Exactly Leo,
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 06:51, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Actually, I like the shoulder shrug, it shows some humor and that says, "Oh, Well!" What this needs a more acting, emphasis on why you are shrugging your shoulders. Look, hold for a beat, then shrug. A smile will help at this point. Then look at the audience. Then continue.

The Shrug shows and indicates indifference or lack of knowledge (from the dictionary), so through acting this should be conveyed to the audience.

The reason I hate this particular movement is that nearly noone who does it actually bothers putting ANY acting efforts into it whatsoever. They just mimic the move they might've seen old-school guys doing (And most likely doing it right) and it ends up looking old-fashioned (On a stinky, full of dust sense), therefore unpleasantly anachronical, as well as mind-numbingly arrogant. This kind of expression is something one must earn through being overtly awesome, and not just throw around like confetti.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Wow, thanks guys. Hmm... Where do I start, I can't change my act, as Elliot said, the performance is in 5 days. I will work with my split fans. It's time to practise!

RJH
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
You need to work on you performance skills. In the future, take acting classes to improve your body movement and facial expressions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Comments to my card manipulation (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL