The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » King Rising » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
With practice, the foot farthest from the audience shouldn't look weird at all. I've never had anyone say that yet. Could it be the shoes you are using?

-Corey
Link
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Link
I am wearing a pair of nike gym shoes is there a better shoe to wear!

PS:Both feet are seen to come off the ground Smile
Rod Lages
View Profile
Loyal user
Brasilia, Brazil
250 Posts

Profile of Rod Lages
King Levitation is very good. The only problem is the angle I have to agree. Balducci all over the place! A great variation. Congratulations Corey King

Best Regards,
Rod Lages
"Confusion isn't Magic" - Dai Vernon
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
506 Posts

Profile of JJP161
I would like to start by thanking Mr. King for releasing this video to the Magic Fraternity and not keeping this all to himself as I think many would have considered. As mentioned before at $17 you cannot go wrong, for the video is under priced substantially.

My personal opinion is that it is way better than the Balducci, the Wild Levitation, and Fearson's Box. Please don't get me wrong I do like Fearson's Box, but it is a much different effect, more of a stage or parlor effect, as no one is going to carry a gimmicked milk crate all over with them. I also like the Wild Levitation, but again with it you must have a coat or some sort of cover in front of you during the levitation and I think you have more angles to worry about. As with all of the above levitations there are angles that you need to avoid, but as of yet I have not come across the "perfect trick". All of the effects we perform have something, otherwise it would be real magic.

In closing I would like to add that I as well as everyone here I’m sure has bought many effects that have proved very disappointing. I’m sure many of us has fallen victim to the creative writing talents that many posses when they write about their own effects. In this case if you have seen the video, then you have seen how amazing this effect really does look, and as long as you understand the limitations of the effect you will not be disappointed. I highly recommend the King Rising and I hope this post may have helped.

Thank-you,
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
The main proplem I have with Kings Rising is the way it is being marketed. I bought it hoping to do exactly what is seen on the video which isn't really possible.
I think it's crazy to not have just shown the guy in the video wearing a jacket, If they had I would feel a lot less cheated on my purchase.
I have read where Mr King says the set-up can be done with out the jacket but I find it impossible to believe that the clean-up can be done that way and go unnoticed by any spectator that has a pulse. Smile
Just my thoughts!
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
It's definitely possible...I've done it many times!

Before the jacket idea came around, which was very recently, KR was a misdirection-based effect -- All misdirection, no cover. There are many ways around the jacket. There have been some good ideas posted on the KR Forum at ellusionist.

The reason why the jacket was not shown in the video was done because of the emails that we receive saying "I watched your video 7,456 times and figured out how to do your trick! Haha, now I don't have to buy it!!". We wanted to make the effect as foolproof as possible.

The main point is that the spectators don't remember the jacket -- they just remember that you levitated.

-Corey
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Corey, I believe spectators would remember the jacket especially outside in 100 degree weather. Smile
I also believe if there are many ways around the jacket these should have been mentioned in the video not as a later side point in a forum.
Isn't this a lot like marketing a video with a lot of sleeving in it but filming it in short sleeves as to not "tip" the method?
I feel ellusionist has false advertised the effect, and continues to due so for one simple reason the same reason the use other peoples material and give no credit till they are called out on it.
They simply do not care about magic or the costomers they make angry, as they feel there is always another sucker surfing the net trying to learn "street magic".
I do not think Kings rising is a bad effect I just think you choose the wrong people to sell the rights to, and that in turn makes me leary to suggest people spend money on it with out knowing the full facts.
If Ellusionist really cares I will be eagerly waiting for my video of the "real work" of this effect. As I am sure they will email it to everyone who ever perchased their lame version.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Brent,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But please, don't "bash" the effect until you try it on someone. It seems like you bought it and immediately made your decision that you don't like it, that it's a rip-off, and that it's falsely advertised without giving it a try.

Also, it's obvious that you wouldn't use a jacket as cover in 100 degree weather. Ever think of a beach towel? A short sleeve button down shirt?

The methods of misdirection that are on the forum came out way after the initial release of the video, so I'm sorry that we couldn't include these in our "lame version" of the video.

One last side note... If ellusionist really didn't care about their customers, do you think that they would have a full support team working literally 24/7 answering questions that people have?

-Corey
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
"----You can rely on misdirection for it, which was how the effect was originally done."
"---The methods of misdirection that are on the forum came out way after the initial release of the video"
Corey you made both these statements don't they contradict each other?
Also when did giving my honest opinion become "bashing?"
I have tried Kings Rising several times and I feel that the way it is taught on the video is lame. I mean telling someone that you are about to levitate and then covering up your feet for a few seconds then levitating only to cover your feet again is in my opinion lame.
I have no doubt that IF it is possible to do this effect in the real world without the jacket and never get caught it is a great effect. But I am yet to have received that info.
If anyone has a video of them performing this for a group of people and getting away with it using just misdirection I would love to see it, and I think ellusionist owes me that.
Again I feel this is a lot like marketing a video with a lot of sleeving in it but filming the demo in short sleeves as to not "tip" the method?
Again just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
They don't contradict each other. The way I originally did it was misdirection, and although I wasn't caught, it was very un-reliable. The jacket idea was used on the video because it was 100% reliable. If we would've used my method, there would've been a lot left to be desired.

Again, there are videos that people have submitted on the KR Forum. I really advise you to check it out. Let me know if you need the password.

I'm not trying to change your opinion on anything, but I want to get the facts straight here.

-Corey
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
Here is my assessment of self-levitations as I have been able to glean them - the Balducci and King Rising are the best "impromptu," close up and small group while Fearson's Box and Wild Levitation are more for parlour and larger groups. Comments?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2952 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2002-09-28 14:18, Corey K wrote:
It's definitely possible...I've done it many times!

Before the jacket idea came around, which was very recently, KR was a misdirection-based effect -- All misdirection, no cover.y

I totally agree with Brent Braun and I was going to post this even before I saw his posts. Infact I already posted this in another forum.
This effect looks very good and I like such clever ideas, but I hate it when not all facts are shown and things are hid from us. I find it totally unfair.
First of all, as good as the misdirection may be, I cannot possibly imagine how anyone could do the dirty work and afterwards clean up, without the audience noticing it. (With that misdirection you could palm an elephant and produce it. That would be a much better effect)Let us get it straight. You MUST (and it's a must) cover your feet, in any way or the other, be it a towel or a jacket or... I have also come up with another way to do that. But you must cover your feet.
Secondly, it is impromptu, but not totally and not even "almost totally impromptu". The totally impromptu levitation, be it exposed or not, remains the Balducci. The set up behind the jacket needed doesn't make it totally impromptu.
Thirdly, apart from the jacket, or the other thing you are going to use, you will need to wear two more specific things in order to get the optimum out of the illusion.
I agree with Brent Braun that Ellusionist have false advertised the effect. They "hipnotize" magicians with their Flashy site. I tried to warn a friend, but he wouldn't listen, until he bought an invisible deck and its rough and smooth didn't work. It wasn't even bicycle. The only good thing ellusionist have got is their Ninja series, which I highly recommend for anyone trying to learn the pass. The KR is good too, but if done at the right moment and at the right situation. This is one of those tricks. that you have to wait for the right situation to get the most and away with it, just like the Healed and Reseald can, although it is also very cool.
Sorry if I sounded very negative, but as I said I hate such things and the KR remains worth a look, because the idea is very ingenious.
Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2002-09-28 14:18, Corey K wrote:

The reason why the jacket was not shown in the video was done because of the emails that we receive saying "I watched your video 7,456 times and figured out how to do your trick! Haha, now I don't have to buy it!!". We wanted to make the effect as foolproof as possible.

I've just started to read about this effect and it does sound good. I've watched the video and it looks great. I do have one question though. If the jacket used to cover the 'set-up' was shown in the video, how would people be able to figure out the method? If it is used to cover the method in real life, surely it would cover the method on the video? If it can't do that on video, how can it do it live?

Appreciate any help.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
I'm not sure if I'm permitted to post these links here, but I think it'd be good to let people know the effect of it.

Demo 1: http://www.magicities.com/kibbles18/KR_Show.zip

Demo 2:
http://www.magicities.com/magicmax/vids/risingmax.wmv

And the last one, very cool! that's a complete performance including the setup!
Demo 3:
[outdated link]
Enjoy! Smile
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
This thread is turning into a broken record, because I continue to repeat the same thing over and over, yet noone seems to want to believe what I am saying.

The jacket is NOT NECESSARY, period. I am telling you from personal experience that the jacket is an added feature that makes performing King Rising easier. What you see in the demonstration video is what the spectators see, whether you use a jacket or not. In the jacket method, it is held in front of you for about 2 seconds, usually less. It is never remembered, and attention most certainly shouldn't be focused on it. One person showed me a good idea, where he just moved his jacket out of the way, and was ready to go in that short amount of time.

That's why the jacket was not shown -- because it is NOT part of King Rising. With the Pocket Levitator, Wild Levitation etc, the jacket is held in front of you for the entire duration of the effect, from start to finish. IF you should choose to use the jacket with King Rising, it is held in front of you twice, for a few seconds max.

The jacket method came about because we wanted to give people a foolproof method of performing King Rising, for those 'afraid' of using misdirection. I performed it for a year plus, never utilizing any kind of cover to perform the effect. Never, and I repeat, NEVER, was I ever caught. The jacket just makes things all the easier.

On the King Rising Forum, there are many methods of misdirection explained, all there for you to choose from. If you don't want to use misdirection, you have the jacket method to fall back on. Keep in mind that ANYTHING could be substituted for a jacket -- a button down shirt, a towel, a small cloth...the possibilities are endless.

Again, the demonstration video IS what you get. That's the effect. It is quite possible to accomplish without the jacket, it's just that noone wants to read into those methods. They are all there for you in the King Rising Forum, I advise you to check it out.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
The jacket is NOT NECESSARY, period. I am telling you from personal experience that the jacket is an added feature that makes performing King Rising easier.

If it makes it easier to accomplish the effect, I am unsure as to why it isn't shown in the demo video. Surely you would want to make something as easy as possible for prospective purchasers and show it? You said the reason you didn't include the jacket was that it would mean people could figure out the method if they watched it over and over. If, as I am led to believe by some people, you cannot do the levitation as it looks on the video, i.e. the set-up isn't shown, surely something is being hidden from the viewer i.e. the set-up.

Quote:
What you see in the demonstration video is what the spectators see, whether you use a jacket or not.

Surely what the video shows is what people see after the 'dirty work' is done? It seems to me as though this is like showing a video of bottle through table once it has started to go through.

Quote:
Again, the demonstration video IS what you get. That's the effect.

But it is not the whole routine. I am just interested to know why the whole routine couldn't be shown? The cover would make things invisible to the person who wants to figure it out from watching over and over and people would know the whole routine, not just the visual part which needs a get ready that is not demonstrated.

Quote:
They are all there for you in the King Rising Forum, I advise you to check it out.

But I can't do that until I buy it!

I guess I will have to see the full routine done live before I decide on this one.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
Jon, did you tried the Demo3 link above ?
It shows a complete performance, all the setup is done in front of the video camera.
Yes, it's standard version that with the jacket, but I think it'd be difficult to misdirect people in the video, as people can watch it over and over again, and usally they won't care about what the performer is talking about (or what he's trying to misdirect), they'll just watch still ...

Though I know it can be performed without any cover, someone in the password protected forum said they can do that sucessfully, and some of the methods I also think are workable, but my misdirection skill is poor, and I found that the standard version is good enough, so I've tried only the std one, and probably will use that one only. In fact, the so-called "with cover" version only use the cover to misdirect during the setup and/or the ending, but it does not needed during the levitation, spectators can see the magician levitate directly, of course from certain angles.
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
Quote:
On 2002-12-19 20:16, Jon Allen wrote:
Quote:
The jacket is NOT NECESSARY, period. I am telling you from personal experience that the jacket is an added feature that makes performing King Rising easier.

If it makes it easier to accomplish the effect, I am unsure as to why it isn't shown in the demo video. Surely you would want to make something as easy as possible for prospective purchasers and show it? You said the reason you didn't include the jacket was that it would mean people could figure out the method if they watched it over and over. If, as I am led to believe by some people, you cannot do the levitation as it looks on the video, i.e. the set-up isn't shown, surely something is being hidden from the viewer i.e. the set-up.

Quote:
What you see in the demonstration video is what the spectators see, whether you use a jacket or not.

Surely what the video shows is what people see after the 'dirty work' is done? It seems to me as though this is like showing a video of bottle through table once it has started to go through.

The jacket is not necessary, however without it, it would take misdirection to set-up....If Corey released a demo video of KR without the jacket, it's not possible to misdirect on film (Try fooling someone watching you do a card under glass on a video tape...it's impossible)

The video shows well enough as is..any other argument is moot.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Hrmm how about doing this instead of covering up your feet.

For those that don't know how it's done this wont make sense, however. Remove your shoes and hand them to a spekky for inspection after the effect.. Plenty misdirection after the initial lift I would think.

Euan
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
I think the most arguable thing is mainly the initial setup, the easiest method is to use a jacket (or any similar, as a cover), what doing after the levitation is not that noticeable to spectators, I think.

One more thing, the manual/video of the KR does mentioned that patter has to be accompanied when using a cover, something like, "most magician using a jacket to cover the feet when levitate ...", then wave the jacket and do the setup, and then take away the cover and said "but I ..... oou ! can't you see ? I don't need any cover !", land to the floor, removes the shoes and show them to the spectators.

Worrying about the exposure of the secret, so I'll stop here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » King Rising » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL