The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Christmas Film List (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Hi, my name is Beetroot and I'm a Christmas Nut!

I love watching Christmas films (i.e. films about or based around Christmas). I don't get time to watch as many as I like, but here is my run-down for this year (it's the same as any other year, plus any additional films that are available).

1. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (YES! I know it's not a Christmas film but I always watch it when the Christmas decorations have gone up in the local shopping centre).
2. The Santa Claus Brothers - animated film. Not great, but it was cheap so we watched it at the weekend.
3. Elf - Saw it at the weekend. It was so-so, but got me in the Christmas mood.
4. Scrooged
5. Miracle on 34th Street (90's version)
6. Scrooge (the musical) - I usually watch this when putting up my Christmas tree.
7. It's a Wonderful Life. One of the things that "engaged" my wife before we started seeing each other was me trying to replicate James Stewart's defense of his Dad to Potter after Potter went on about having a "discontented, lazy rabble instead of a thrifty working class" (if my memory serves me right).
8. Scrooge (Alastair Sim)
9. The Santa Clause (my wife's favourite)

Not sure if the Santa Clause II will be on the list for this year. Possibly rental, but I've bought all of the above (except for Elf of course).

I'll also be looking out for any feelgood movies. Note that I've never seen White Christmas.

If only The Man In The Santa Claus suit was available (Fred Astaire in, I think, a TV film where he plays Santa in seven different guises) - that would really make my day.

No responses necessary. Just thought I'd share Smile
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
I can't believeyou didn't put "A Christmas Story" on there! I love that movie. The Ralph's old man is so *** funny.
Who is John Galt?
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
I've never heard of it! (I'll do a search on Google).
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
My must see Xmas movie list

Scrooge, I too put this on whilst putting up the tree.
Black Adder Christmas. The first apperance of Hagrid is on this special.
One Magic Christmas. Love the Santa in this one.
Miracle on 34 Street. The glorious Black and White one not the 90's travesty.
A Christmas Story. I had a Red Ryder BB gun!
Mr. McGoo's Christmas Carol. The spouses favorite.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Oh!!!! I forgot A Muppet Christmas Carol. I don't own it but I always try to watch it - "Heatwave!!!"
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
1. A Christmas Story (I triple-dog-dare-ya not to see it!)
2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
3. A Year Without Santa

Although I always get those puppet-stop-motion movies mixed up. Which one has the Abomitable Snowman and which one has the Heat Miser?
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Quote:
On 2003-11-24 19:20, Payne wrote:
Miracle on 34 Street. The glorious Black and White one not the 90's travesty.

I was surprised to find I preferred the 90's version. However, both are light years ahead of the TV film version with Roddy McDowall (if my memory serves me correctly) which I couldn't bear to watch much further than just past the titles.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Don't forget National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Don't forget Santa Clause 2

Also, "Christmas Every Day" is good. One of my favs
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I can't believe no one said "A Charlie Brown Christmas"!! Smile My holiday season does not start until I watch that! But then, that might be because I'm a Peanuts Gang fanatic Smile It's a good thing I have it on video, although the DVD version is on my birthday list.

Other Christmas movies on my list"

It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th St (Natalie Wood version)
The Santa Clause (I and II)
Scrooge (Albert Finney version)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animation w/ Boris Karlof narrating)
Rudolf
Frosty
Santa Clause is Coming to Town

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Silent Night, Deadly Night.
Smile
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
472 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Home alone.

Håkan

Smile
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Jingle All The Way
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Margarette, I forgot! I love the animated Grinch movie. The live-action Jim Carey one doesn't even COMPARE to the original!

Go Grinch! Smile
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
The Ref
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Just two gotta see's on my list.
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. A Christmas Story
Beetroot, do yourself a favor, watch A Christmas Story this Christmas season, you will never regret it and I'll bet you buy a copy of your own and will never consider it Christmas until you watch it at least once every Christmas season.
For those who may not know the significance of The Wizard Of Oz characters in the Christmas parade in the movie A Christmas Story. The Wizard Of Oz was traditionaly shown on television during the Christmas holiday season. I don't know when that tradition came to an end but I am glad that I grew up at a time when tradition really ment something in America.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Jingle All The Way with Arnold Schwartzenegger.
Another funny Christmas movie. Sinbad is very funny in his role as a mailman, Phil Hartman is in it and plays a very seedy character and Robert Conrad has some funny scenes in it too. It is worth a viewing if you have never seen it.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Iven! Christmas Story takes place before television. I always thought the Oz characters were in the parade because the movie was still a hit in the theatres.

Also, I just saw Santa Clause 2 last night and must officially add it to my "Awesome Christmas Movies" list. What a hoot that one was!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Quote:
On 2003-11-25 00:08, dpe666 wrote:
Silent Night, Deadly Night.
Smile

When I started this topic I had two thoughts in mind:

1. What films will I watch
2. I wonder what dpe666 will say Smile

I'm trying to track down a PAL copy of A Christmas Story. If anyone has any pointers that would be good.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Firedice27 stated "Iven! Christmas Story takes place before television. I always thought the Oz characters were in the parade because the movie was still a hit in the theatres." Yes, you are correct Firedice but I am partially correct. As a kid growing up in the 50's and early 60's The Wizard Of Oz was shown on television every Christmas season. My Mom tells me that The Wizard Of Oz was played in the theaters every Christmas season also. As many times as I have watched A Christmas Story, I am suprised that I forgot that the time period of the movie is the late 40's. My memory is not as good as it should be, I guess the 60's were very good to me Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Christmas Film List (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL