We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triception - coin #1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
390 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Just picked up Mark Mason's Triception at the Real Magic Roadshow in Boston. Got it in Morgans and Walking Liberties. Love the routine, except for the first coin production. It is very visual. One coin on the palm and suddenly another one appear next to it. It is the only place The coins don't sound right. I know in a noisy situation it will most likely fly, but I'm always looking for perfection. I also reviewed what I believe is the original version of the move by Eric Johnson in his ocyclean routine. Eric says lowering the hand quickly causes the "production". Also Eric's second coin is forward of the first coin mad Mark prefers to flip it back towards the palm. So I'm asking those of you that do the routine what your experiences have been. Is at a flipping motIon (towards you) or are you dropping the hand and using inertia? Is anyone using a silent method to produce the coin? PMs are fine if it can't be explained without exposure. Also posted in Secret Session for those that have access and a more open discussion.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That would be Eric Jones... I also have it in Morgan and Walking Liberty, congrats on your purchase. I do the move in the opposite direction allowing more room in my palm for the top coin to fall back down quietly. Another tip I got was as you are doing the move, look them in the eyes ( eye contact is great misdirection) and say "BAM!!!" Or "WOW!!!" Just to startle the specs and cover any possible noise ( although it will be minor)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
John,

Drop your hand quickly and move it slightly back or forward, depending on where you prefer it to appear. Flipping it up is not how it should be done. If you are catching a tossed coin you usually drop your hand slightly so it doesn't bounce out.

Jim
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I put my thumb on the [ coin, turn my hand palm down, let the [ drop a bit to my thumb and then turn my hand palm up and at the same time slide the shell forward... you have to start with the stack at the base of the fingers... laying across the 2nd and 3rd fingers... not in the palm... so... the whole move looks like you simply turned your palm down, and then back up and you have two coins laying on your fingers... no noise since you actually just lower the [ off the stack just a little bit when your palm is face down, and there is no "clink."

Try it... you may like it. It's certainly not for everyone.. .but it works fine for me.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It would not be practical to turn the hand over (palm down) since a certain part is between your fingers and sticking out while your palm is face up. I have pretty big hands and I wouldn't be able to do that with a half dollar much less a Morgan.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I do it with a half... works fine... no one ever sees it... it's all in the action... a nice smooth turn down, turn back up... all their attention is now on the NEW coin, they don't even remember if they saw a "piece" of another coin. And I've actually performed the move for living spectators. So many magicians are concerned with hiding everything that they limit themselves to certain moves that are really spectacular. As David Hoy use to say... bold and subtle. Some of the best magic is done right out in the open. All it takes is a self-assured attitude and the skills.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I was able to pull it off in front of a mirror by passing my other hand out in front of it a bit as I go down and back up. Definately better for me with a half ( because the move is easier in my hand ) than a Morgan.

Smile Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 00:14, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I was able to pull it off in front of a mirror by passing my other hand out in front of it a bit as I go down and back up. Definately better for me with a half ( because the move is easier in my hand ) than a Morgan.

I'll defer to your opinion on a Morgan sized set... I don't have ANY dollar coin sized gaffs... that may be a little more difficult if not impossible. And I know this thread is referring to a Triception set, I don't have one... I was using an OXF set as my example.

As I've mentioned in another thread... I make the third coin ("[/") appear in the same way... put my thumb against the two coins on my fingers, turn my hand palm down, spread my 2nd and 3rd finger apart at the same time (way apart), flip the [/ up into my hand with my 3rd finger AS I'm turning my palm face up again... and then use my thumb to nicely spread all "three" coins out in an overlapping row... viola... now three coins laying on your fingers.
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
390 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Thanks everyone. Poof-Daddy, you're right of course. Eric Jones. Spell checker was working against me I think! I'm starting to get the move. I m getting closer to making it silent based on Al's suggestion. It reminded me of Roger Klause's move in his coins across from "In Concert" (with a different set) basically just using the thumb. I'm going back and forth between that and the original move. Thanks for the tip J-Mac, moving my hand back makes a difference. Now on the next coin!
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
John, I have the TWIAD set and do the Roger Klause routine, I love sun and moon stuff.

Al, I believe the OXF and Triception are about the same 1 mag****c coin a sh***d [ and a mag****c [ / that locks inside the [ just made and sold by different makers and with Triception you get the NGF with virtually nothing to break and a bunch of extras ie... Holdouts ditches and such. Which is mostly why I went with Triception in Walkers and made my own with Morgans ( since I had the extras already, I simply purchased the mag coin and NGF from Mark Mason and an exp [ and super exp [ from Joe Mogar and shimmed them both myself. Thereby serving as a TT or a TTGF and Triception depending on which combination I choose. Just took a lot of time to save up and purchase them separately.

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triception - coin #1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL