The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rocky Raccoon (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Most of the raccoons on sale now are of a very poor quality, I ha my original for years now I am lucky to get a season (6months) out of one.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I agree that most are bad. Apparently shortly before going out of business magic masters had changed manufacturers and their raccoon had declined in quality as well. I Worked there about 12 years ago and loved the Raccoons. I think they were the only reasonably priced item in the store honestly. I will let you guys know my honest opinion of the Reality Raccoon or Skunk I think I am going for actually.

I have heard it is better than Robbie.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I just purchased a supposedly "original" Rocky the Raccoon. It is from Magic Masters and it says "original" but I can't say since I never owned one back in the day. Got this one from MadHatters Magic. Working wqith it about a week and it seems to be good quality.

Thanks!

Jim
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
If its an original you were lucky to find it !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
It is definitely made by Magic Masters, but I can't tell if it was made before or after the change in manufacturing quality.

Jim
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
I bought a rocky raccoon from Madhatter's Magic Shop. It is an "Original" rocky raccoon but it's not the oldest version of Rocky out there. The oldest version is the one that was discontinued.

The Rocky Raccoon from Madhatter's Magic isn't that bad. It does sound like the spring inside is wrapped in a plastic probably to protect the spring from penetrating (is it a good enough time to use that word?) the fur. It's definitely not as fluffy as the first generation rocky though. It doesn't shed as much either.

I also just bought a first generation spring animal made by Magic Masters from a gentlemen in France off ebay (picked it up for about 28 dollars including shipping!). It's the skunk one. I'll let you know the differences first hand once it arrives.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
789 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I bought 2 from Madhatter Magic...One Rocky looked different then the other...one had a long snout, and one had a very short snout, and the short snout looked a little more whitish (still raccoon colors)...does anyone know if the shorter snout is an older or newer one?
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
I worked at Magic Masters in the late 80's, learned how to manipulate Rocky from the best, Dennis Sowers. Now Rocky is my trademark routine. I agree with the postings here, the Magic Master older models are by far the best. There are ways to improve other brands (they are in my lecture notes) and even add costumes.

One problem I have with any brand of Rocky is the hide eventually rubbing away from where it my fingers manipulate it. I keep old worn out Rocky's just for this reason. Cut a patch of hide from the old one, sew it into place over the worn out area of the latest one and you're ready to go.

Another hint is to pay close attention to the placement of the eyes when you buy a Rocky. As with any puppet, it's all in the eyes. I usually take out the eyes that come with it and add new ones. Sometimes I add glasses to highlight the eyes. There's a link at the bottom of this post, click it to see glasses worn by an off-brand spring animal (a red fox) that I made from a dog toy for about $10.

As to the topic of this forum, I would never use Rocky in a restaurant. The biggest reason is the fur. They shed. I don't care how much you brush the puppet, it's going to shed. The fur will be on your fingers as well as your shirt, jacket, pants. If any of the kids want to pet Rocky, they will then have fur on their hands. Yucky.

Seeing a person walking around in a restaurant with an animal immediately creates a negative image, usually with adults, which means you then have to work that much harder to bring it back up. Children may be attracted to the puppet, but the bottom line is you have to impress the parents... they're the ones who will be calling you later for a booking. Isn't that one of the big reasons for doing restaurant work?

So many times I see Rocky routines that are based on, or word-for-word, David Williamson's routine. Please stop doing that. Granted, his routine is clever and funny, but there is so much more that can be done with Rocky. Approach it as a puppet, which it is. Now create puppet routines. Make Rocky a character, give him reactions, have him do tricks, whatever.

Click here to view attached image.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Greg. Interesting tips.

Jim
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Greg are you saying people should stop making Tom Selek and Brook Shields jokes? You sir are no longer welcome here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
569 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Thanks Greg
JeffreyMichael1127
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of JeffreyMichael1127
Www.larocks.com that is where I got mine great quality....I think it can be found under the "puppets" section...Robbie Raccoon
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
While we're on Rockys, any suggestions on repairs? The spring is through the hide.
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
I also have problems with the spring breaking thru the hide, it's bound to happen after awhile. I keep old worn out Rocky's just for this reason. Cut a patch of hide from the old one, sew it into place over the worn out area of the latest one and you're ready to go. If you don't have old Rockys just use a piece of leather or other tough fabric. Since the worn out area is where your fingers are placed, the patch will not show when you're using it.

On my site I have lecture notes (Rocky Workshop) that shows how to fix it and also how to help prevent it happening again.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
724 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I replaced the Tom Selleck line with Groucho Marx and Brooke shields is now madonna or Britney Spears. David is doing the Magic Masters' pitch with a few additions of his own. I agree with Greg, make it your own, but I still do the pitch I was taught by the late great Mike Abston. Yes, I worked for them too and managed a few stores too.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
569 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, JeffreyMichael1127 wrote:
Www.larocks.com that is where I got mine great quality....I think it can be found under the "puppets" section...Robbie Raccoon

Thanks for this web site.

Emmett
Jade Ferrer
View Profile
New user
Philippines
61 Posts

Profile of Jade Ferrer
What are good replacements for the Rocky Raccoon by Magic Masters?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Nothing really. You can try Arthur the Raccoon. Or if you can find an Original Rocky in a mom and pop magic store (do those exist anymore?).
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I bought a Magic Masters Robbie a few years ago at a local shop. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The first one already had the spring poking through the skin. The second one's tail started coming off after a few days )and very little use). One of the worst $40 I ever spent on a prop.
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
Eyebrows: Bert from Sesame Street. Moustache: Super Mario. Underarm: Kim Kardashian.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rocky Raccoon (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL