We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you use any Gimmick ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
Hallo!
I've discovered "Gimmicks".
Yes, I know TT, and others but I've never used them because I thought "the public discover them immediately" but...
SURPRISE
They don't!
It's incredible!!

So
I'm interested to know if anyone use any kind of Gimmicks during your performances.
And what is the best of them.

Thanks
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
For coins, I like Scotch & Soda and Hopping Halves. TT is also very useful. Smile
Bernard Sim
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I find that I almost never leave home without my Copper/Silver, 2 d'lites, and a marked deck. Yes I said it. My name is Ed and I use a marked deck.
He who laughs, lasts.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hey Masimax!

I prefer sleight of hand to accomplish an effect, but sometimes sleight of hand won't work, as in the case of D'lites!
Another thing is gimmicks CAN get expensive! I have a limited budget (I'm in high school), and sleight of hand is usually less expensive.

AND sleight of hand is usually pretty fun!

But the bottom line IS: Do what's fun!
Heck, magic is SUPPOSED to be fun! And if it's not fun, chances are you're gonna lose interest! So do what's fun!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks! There are some pretty amazing things to be accomplished with them, I have tons of gimmicked stuff.

I am a closet gimmick addict Smile

But I love it Smile
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Just for the sake of semantics, a gimmick is a device that is used, but not seen. A feke (I've seen this spelled 'fake' and 'feke.' I prefer 'feke' because it identifies the meaning more specifically to the subject at hand.) is a device that is seen but not understood. Technically, the Scotch and Soda coins are fekes not gimmicks. Likewise with the D'lights. The TT, too, is a feke, although you could argue that it is a gimmick, since often magicians keep it mostly hidden from view.

Yeah, I know, this is a lot of nerdy detail, but since this is the new to magic area, I figure might as well learn this stuff early. Many magicians do not know this distinction (I learned it from David Roth).

Jim
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
yes, yes I do use A gimmick. It is my favorite and I call it the simple spectator. Jim's definition of a gimmick implies that for the spectator to be considered a gimmick they have not to be seen, I am defining a gimmicked spectator as one who is seen but doesn't see the events that are happening in front of them for what they really are.

For example, if I have a group of five people standing in a circle around me and I perform a quick effect that is hard to see for any but the closest spec then I usually try to take advantage of that spectators sight. Suggestion is a powerful tool and making them think that they saw things is usually pretty easy, they will then tell everyone else who couldn't see the effect an exagerated form of what really happened.

I do this with the Balduchi all the time, just have one or two people see you do it and then suggest to them that you went up really high. The witnesses will go running around exagerating the effect and getting a large crowd of spectators for you with no additional effort on your part.

The spectator is the strongest gimmick in magic.

If you want to restrict this to simply produced bought gimmicks then my answer to the question is no. I do card magic almost exclusively and I don't have the money to shell out for ten different decks that I will only use once per performance.
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
I think that Rough and Smooth is a pretty cool gimmick!

PT
Smile Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2316 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The first gimmick I ever owned really was the scotch and soda gold dollar and quarter set. I still use it today. It's pretty cool. I found that when I'm not using the scotch and soda routine, I can also use the double sided coin for spell bound routines or other items. It's a really nice gimmick.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2002-05-23 12:29, Jim Morton wrote:
Just for the sake of semantics, a gimmick is a device that is used, but not seen. A feke is a device that is seen but not understood.

Thanks for the education Jim. I never knew this.

I just love learning new things. Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
Gimmicks and fekes are simply useful tools, one should learn to entertain without them, then maybe use them as and when required. Use too many initially and you will come to rely on them.

Remember that anything mechanical can let you down eventually. A skill is with you for life, a folding coin is with you until the band breaks Smile

Paul Hallas.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sometimes gimmicks are necessary to accomplish "miracles".
But Bird Brain hits the nail on the head in saying that "sleight of hand is fun."
It is.
So have fun.
BTW, Scotch and Soda was mentioned here; a popular trick but with a couple of flaws: It's hard to reset; the fake coin doesn't feel or sound real; it's expensive.
If anyone is interested in my No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda, which appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine, e-mail me and I'll cyber the whole routine and handling back to you.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I also thank you for the technical definitions, Jim, as they are helpful in organizing my thoughts about sleights, fekes, and gimmicks.

I recently revived my interest in the TT, a feke. Personally, I feel that coins are the least suspect as being feked, cards in the middle ground, and strange boxes with dragons painted on them the most suspicious
(although I think a false side or bottom is a great idea for an ordinary object).
I think any kind of shell is great if used well. In my opinion there are some striking,
"impossible" visual effects--like the coin in bottle, mismade bill, shrinking deck, and linking rings--that make fekes forever indispensible.

I have begun experimenting with IT, a gimmick, but it may be a long time before I do something live with it. I think pulls, wax, tape, magnets, mirrors, or whatever are fine; yet I hope to speed the day when I can accomplish these things by sleights.

Peter M.'s Scotch and Soda is for me a perfect example of "sleight superiority."

alleycat

Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
One thing to learn here is that though gimmicked tricks are really easy (usually anyway) you really shouldn't rely on them completely. What happens when you don't have your props, I am really getting into coin sleights so that wherever I go I can perform a trick that requires no props.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6282 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I use whatever I need to get the job done: gimmicks, fakes, sleight of hand, equivoque, duplicates, hair gel, prostetics, gummi bears, back palming, front palming, pinkie breaks, spring breaks, etc... whatever works I'll use it.
Greg Smile Smile Smile Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Greg I use to feel the same way you do. Until I had a really embarassing time when all my gummy bears got stuck in my hair gel. It was a really hot day... anyway I'm sure you can imagine.

Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I agree with Paul and I'm very impressed with his answer. Gimmicks can empty your pockets fast before you know it. Remember gimmicks are tools not toys.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6282 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-05-24 19:00, Mr. Ed wrote:
Greg I use to feel the same way you do. Until I had a really embarassing time when all my gummy bears got stuck in my hair gel. It was a really hot day... anyway I'm sure you can imagine.

Smile Smile Smile

Imagine it? I lived it!! I've notice it now works best with a styling mousse and Good N Plenty candy.
Greg Smile Smile
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Quote:
On 2002-05-24 10:51, vovin wrote:
One thing to learn here is that though gimmicked tricks are really easy (usually anyway)

Well, I am not sure if I agree with that. A couple of trick using gimmicks spring to mind that do need some considerable practice to be pulled off smoothly.

But let us not forget for every effect with a gimmick there is nearly always an almost identical effect which is gimmickless or improptu. These of course will most probably require considerable more practice than the effect with the gimmick, and in some cases not have quite the edge as the gimmicked trick.

The miracle is in the eye of the spectator, whether you use a gimmick to get there is up to you.

PT Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6282 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
PT, I couldn't agree more. I put this out on another topic, but I'll put the challenge out here. Next time you do a brilliant, all sleights, fantastic palmed card to wallet or pocket, follow up on a future date when you have the same people with this method: Just put a DB in you pocket or wallet that matches the back of the deck you are using. Have the card signed, do a mystical wave and then reach into your wallet or pocket and pull out the DB, put it on the deck and do any DL... watch for the oohs and aahs...

99% of the population will perceive it as the same effect and some times see it as more amazing than your knuckle buster. Just try it.

Here's an added bonus teaser: They sign the card and you tear off a corner and give it to them. Vanish the card and you reach into your pocket or wallet and pull out a card that clearly has a corner torn off, put that on the deck and flip it over and it is their signed card with the same corner missing.

How! Practice tearing off a corner on cards so they resemble each other if viewed briefly (You don't need the intercessor for this one), on top of the deck there is a DB and in your pocket you have a regular card with the corner torn to resemble the card they will pick. Have them pick a card, sign it then tear off the corner and give it to them. Vanish the card however you like but control it so that it is second from the top under the DB. Pull out the torn card out of your wallet or pocket (back side out), put it on the deck and do a Triple. Viola!

Signed, Torn Corner Card to Pocket... no palming, no sweat. I give full kudos to Pete Marucci for his idea many years ago on the DB to pocket. I believe the torn corner idea is mine, but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.
Happy Non-palming!
Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you use any Gimmick ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL