The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Thread Necromancy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Hi all,
There are a lot of threads being replied to that have been inactive for years. It's a little annoying to start reading a thread only to see that the issue has long been resolved. It's bad enough when someone has a similar question and has decided to consolidate threads, but some people are still answering questions from posters who have been inactive for years. I haven't been able to find a thread necromancy policy at the Café, but I'd suggest that one be added. Nothing harsh or anything, just lock all threads that have been inactive for, say, 2 years. If you feel the need to respond to an ancient thread (either to recreate the discussion or to go down a similar line), just link it in the new thread. That seems to have been the policy on a few other forums I've posted on.
Just my suggestion,
-D
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
There are threads here that are essentially a continuing conversation taking place with the same, AND new participants over 5 or more years. Most enjoyable for those involved, and for whom you propose to speak.

So what if somebody brings up an old thread? For context in as deep a subject as magic can be, the additional perspective is often most welcome.

The number of threads which have "issues" having already been resolved is minuscule.......so your disappointment will be very rare indeed.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Many times I have done a search in Google and had the Café come up with a very old thread. So many of those times the old thread has information that is very valuable.
Some members have passed away and these old threads are actually a legacy of sorts. Please do not start to delete these gold mines.
But what is gold and what is garbage you ask? Only way to find out is to dig in.
Enjoy,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 11:31, Xiqual wrote:
Many times I have done a search in Google and had the Café come up with a very old thread. So many of those times the old thread has information that is very valuable.
Some members have passed away and these old threads are actually a legacy of sorts. Please do not start to delete these gold mines.
But what is gold and what is garbage you ask? Only way to find out is to dig in.
Enjoy,
James

:applause: Smile Smile

Well said!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I agree.
My interests in magic change from time to time.
I have gotten into coins recently and the old inactive threads are invaluable.
Ihor
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Agreed! Most of the posters here seem to use good sense when replying to older posts. The main exception I see is when someone simply doesn't realize that what they're responding to is ancient, and it's usually handled in an appropriate way by others who are on the scene. Nothing needs to change, IMO.

I actually HATE when I'm on some boards where you get hosed for replying to something more than a few weeks old. Those boards rarely get the benefit of my participation.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Thread Necromancy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL