The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Signage while busking - Streets and/or Festivals (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I got some stellar advice in a pm and when I finish my new sign I'll share it here. I think you guys will be impressed, or not, maybe we don't think alike...
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

My new signs

Front of case (This is what is normally hanging and what most people see)

Back of case (This side will only be shown as a joke during my show...)

What do you guys think of the changes?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Gr8--

I think this finds the middle-ground between handmade enough to encourage tips (doesn't look like you are sponsored or rolling in dough) and still professional enough to not look like a panhandler.

You might change the spelling on the "gag" side to be a bit more easily translated, like: $#!%%Y
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Thanks Motley Mage,

I thought about making the $#!%%y as well but I don't want to offend anyone with children smart enough to figure it out. Also my Letter set didn't come with enough symbols. I had to create the asterisk my self out of Xs.

I too thought it was a nice compromise between hand made and professional. I also really like the contrast of the White letters on the black background. It really stands out.

I permanently glued the sign to the box as well to make it less likely to roll up and get "dog eared."

Gallagher was who suggested that I try both the gag as opposed to a plan sign that said "Magic Show" and also that I try to make it look more professional.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I use a sign at times since the underside of my table is a painting - Cellini style. It does the job when I need it to. Here's a blog-entry about it when I finished it three years ago. It did look cleaner back then. http://blogg.arkadia.se/#post43

Best,
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I do a mix of a magic show and balloon twisting on the street, working in s small city where there aren't enough pedestrians to get to work magic alone for a significant income. The balloon twisting helps make my income bigger.
So when people approach me I often don't know what they want, Balloons or Magic? So the sign I use helps sort this out.
My sign is done on a computer onto A4 paper mounted inside a clear plastic holder. It hangs from my front table edge.

My sign reads "Ask to see my Magic Show". This often encourages people to speak up to ask. Plus, I'm doing my show because they said they wanted to see it, so they've invested their interest even before I start. Hey, I used to have the word "Please" added on to my wording, because a lot of the teenagers around the area, I think, need to learn how to ask politely! Well, I didn't have enough space when I last reworded the sign, so I dropped the "please' bit.
Underneath, in much smaller writing is "Magic by Colin xxxx from Dargaville. Ph YYYYYYY"

I was surprised one time when I was phoned up by a person wanting to know more about me doing magic for a birthday party. As I usually do, I asked "How did you find out about me?" because I knew I hadn't spoken to him at the pitch. He told me "You were busy at the time and I read your name and phone number on my signage.

I don't agree with the view that some have that all that is needed on your street sign is "MAGIC SHOW". I think people should be told who we are, during the Show orally, and also by seeing our name on the sign. I once had a person on the street come up and address me by my first name, to my surprise. I asked how he knew my name. "I read it on your sign," he said. I had forgotten it was there.
Having your name on your sign is a good ice-breaker as well as good advertising.
I don't want to be known as just "some magician on the street doing magic." I want people to know just who I am - with consequent benefits.
The presentation makes the magic.
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Lately, I've been thinking of getting a banner from vistaprint online. I get my business cards through them and I can get a very nice small banner that with a little nip-and-tuck will fit my table perfectly. You can get them for under $20 so the cost is not really an issue. I'm think of one made with my graphics uploaded. The main reason for this was touched on by MagicCol above. When I am busy, my website and phone are on display in a nice manner. At least anyone that "scoobies" a video of my performance and loads it to youtube will be free advertisement? That's what I'm thinking anyhow.

I have never used a sign before because I feel the "What the heck is that snappy dressed guy up to?" effect draws attention where are Magic Show sign may turn off the muggles who "hate magic" until they see what a good magician can do.
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
I have a banner ( designed and photoshopped) round my table which constantly advertises MagicNews TeleVision. And give out cards...Not a magician but Pedro Tochas has a handwritten card he puts over his trolley and makes great use of it.Doing street with so many eyeballs on it and in photographs it's a great lead generator...
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Put your name on it, no need to put magic show, if they stop to watch they will know that, and if not who cares?
but your name, who are you? you could be all over the net, twitter, facebook, with the tag under the photo "some dude doing magic" or you can have your name in the photos.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 17:41, DCURTHRABE wrote:
I created this sign over the winter for use at festival type events.
It's 100% hand made, hand painted, I was shooting for a Carnival/ Circus feel.

That's the ticket right there! Very nice sign. Fits the overall image of your show. Really nicely done.

Signage can be a tricky thing. Really important for it to match the overall image of your show, but also, like others have mentioned, you don't want it to be so fancy that if you're hatting the crowd that there's a disconnect between how much money the sign cost, and how much they'll drop in the hat.

If you're just doing a paid show for a festival or fair, a sign like what Darren has posted is just about perfect.

The sign can be left out in between your sets (if you're doing 3 or 4 sets at a fair or festival) so people know where the show location is.

The only thing I would consider adding to an A-frame like Darren's would be show times. So people walking by at 2:45 know to make it back for the 3:00 show.

Nice job.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 15:51, KendallScot wrote:
Lately, I've been thinking of getting a banner from vistaprint online. I get my business cards through them and I can get a very nice small banner that with a little nip-and-tuck will fit my table perfectly. You can get them for under $20 so the cost is not really an issue. I'm think of one made with my graphics uploaded. The main reason for this was touched on by MagicCol above. When I am busy, my website and phone are on display in a nice manner. At least anyone that "scoobies" a video of my performance and loads it to youtube will be free advertisement? That's what I'm thinking anyhow.

I have never used a sign before because I feel the "What the heck is that snappy dressed guy up to?" effect draws attention where are Magic Show sign may turn off the muggles who "hate magic" until they see what a good magician can do.

If you use the banner primarily outdoors, I would recommend upgrading to their heavier duty vinyl. I used the thinner vinyl outdoors for a fair season. And by "season" I mean it lasted 3 fairs.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Put a * after the word free, then under that in small print put "or best offer" and this will set you up for a hat line!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I wouldn't mention free. Also, I don't use a sign, and I do okay... But then again, I look like a giant tangelo.

The only theory I can imagine, is that a cardboard sign would scare away those who are afraid of disdainful of beggars.

But Jimmy uses a crude sign, and he seems to do alright.
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
I finally got my sign from Vistaprint. With shipping it cost $12.00 It's a stiff, plastic "Yard Sign" so it is weather proof to a point and very light weight. I'll hang it from my tray stand. I think it looks really good. We'll see what the people think my next time out.

Click here to view attached image.
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
Kendall, that look awesome! I use Vistaprint for a lot of advertising materials, they're really great, fast and quality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Signage while busking - Streets and/or Festivals (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL