The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » NYC Street performing Outlawed ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
brianherb1
View Profile
New user
New York City
15 Posts

Profile of brianherb1
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:37, gary31525 wrote:
It all starts with 'boxed zones' , then it goes to larger 'boxed zones' until all the parks are the boxed zones.

I completely agree, and am doing everything I can to try and fight this. I just thought it was important to let people who might be performing in new york know what's up.
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
I signed the petition and I posted the link to the petition on a few websites in hopes of getting more signatures. I have talked to people in New York and former New Yorkian's and they all say the parks would be much less appealing if the performers weren't there. Many people go to the parks just for the performers alone. I'm not sure what NYC's agenda is with this.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not arguing about the boxed zones or what will happen if they are accepted.

I'm asking what they represent. Why are we told we cannot perform within the boxed zones?

I do know there are supposed to be sections of Central Park that are deemed "quiet zones" where there's to be no playing of music or making loud noises. (What would happen if you tried to perform there with a silent act?)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
"A man playing guitar
Singing for us all
Will you help him change the world"
.....Saturday In The Park

Performers are what make a park. I've had family go to Central Park and when I asked how it was, they said "it was boring. No musicians were out".

Musicians, Jugglers, Magicians, etc. are the sights and sounds of any park. New York City has stop and frisk, which is in violation of the Constitution, so it's no wonder the City's Officials violate other rights.

Once they are allowed to take away the rights of some, they soon take away the rights of everyone.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Why is it that EVERYTHING the cops do is a violation of the constitution? COME ON Zombie, the lawyers, including the liberal ACLU have said the law was a good one.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 06:35, Paddy wrote:
Why is it that EVERYTHING the cops do is a violation of the constitution? COME ON Zombie, the lawyers, including the liberal ACLU have said the law was a good one.

EVERYTHING? Where did I say everything? I'm a big supporter of the police. I don't agree with stopping people of color and frisking them. There's a crime problem, but the solution is not violating Constitutional rights. When that exception is made, then it leaves the door open to other rights being violated. Most don't care...until it's their rights that are violated.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:

Lot of people said the world was flat too. Didn't make it correct.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
In the South they used to have these separate drinking fountains that the Gov't. lawyers and the population majority thought was a "good one".........and they were wrong.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 02:08, Zombie Magic wrote:
"A man playing guitar
Singing for us all
Will you help him change the world"
.....Saturday In The Park

That's Chicago Smile
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 16:46, silvercup wrote:
Quote:

Silver, do you have an IQ larger than a Bra size? That comment doesn't make sense. I support the police most of the time, yes there are some bad cops, but, 99% of the cops are dam good. These are the men & woman that run TOWARD the danger not away from it. Yes the enforce ALL the laws, even the chickencrap ones. But thgere are ways to change the bad laws.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-10 14:50, Paddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 16:46, silvercup wrote:
Quote:

Silver, do you have an IQ larger than a Bra size? That comment doesn't make sense. I support the police most of the time, yes there are some bad cops, but, 99% of the cops are dam good. These are the men & woman that run TOWARD the danger not away from it. Yes the enforce ALL the laws, even the chickencrap ones. But thgere are ways to change the bad laws.

Paddy take a pill or have a drink. I doubt it will help but you'll feel better.
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Silver Cup- No need to be RUDE !
Do you Busk ? , Are you a cop ?.. if Not then you just a spectator here. Paddy is one of the good
guys here , so show a little respect as he is attempting to protect performers rights.

So much more for our police to enforce these days then having to Pick on a Street entertainers
who is simply attempting to make a living.

Magic223
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 22:30, magic123 wrote:
Silver Cup- No need to be RUDE !
Do you Busk ? , Are you a cop ?.. if Not then you just a spectator here. Paddy is one of the good
guys here , so show a little respect as he is attempting to protect performers rights.

So much more for our police to enforce these days then having to Pick on a Street entertainers
who is simply attempting to make a living.

Magic223

This again? Geeeeeeeze.
I had to go back and read what occurred in this thread. I saw that Paddy posted that lawyers & the liberal ACLU thought the law was a good one. Implying that made the case for it.
I in turn posted "Lot of people said the world was flat too. Didn't make it correct." which is a factual statement posted in an attempt to illustrate that citing lawyers & the liberal ACLU in this case would not be the end all of the conversation.

For posting those words Paddy insulted me, " do you have an IQ larger than a Bra size?" , failed to comprehend my comment "That comment doesn't make sense.", then went off on a rant about supporting Police "most of the time" and that there are ways to change bad laws.

To that I posted "Paddy take a pill or have a drink. I doubt it will help but you'll feel better."
When I use the language in my best ability to convey thought, and while surly improvement could be made my skills are not shabby by a long shot, and someone totally misses the boat as Paddy has I wonder why? I decided that since his initial contribution was to take a shot at Zombie Magic, who as far as I can tell would prefer performers be allowed to exercise their 1st amendment rights, and make a poor case for the restrictions that he has some sort of problem with Zombie Magic as he does me.

In another thread where similar things occurred I posted "Paddy are you O.K." Both of these posts are made in concern for Paddy. Not rude. The evidence indicates he doesn't need a reason to go off on someone.

Yes I do busk and it's my only source of income. It's been that way for more than a decade. Even if I hadn't ever busked by participating I am more than a spectator. Paddy may be a good guy in your eyes. Cool. I do not know Paddy. All I see is constant insults, ads for Booby Maverick & Kozmo, and failure to follow conversation. I don't see how supporting any law restricting free speech rights, "COME ON Zombie, the lawyers, including the liberal ACLU have said the law was a good one." is an attempt to protect performers rights.

I agree that there is far more for Police to do than enforce laws designed to restrict free speech.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Freedom of expression is not absolute.

The obvious example is; you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater; (Although Oscar Wilde once observed that freedom of speech should include shouting "theater" at a crowded fire.)

But there are other examples;

If you can prove someone has harmed you with malicous (sp) their right to free speech won't stop you from collecting damages against them.

If it can be proven that you are inciting a crowd to riot, you will be shut down.

If a police officer can show that you are blocking free access to the area you are in, he will be justified in shutting you down and moving you along no matter what your stand on free expression is.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » NYC Street performing Outlawed ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL