The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card College (Roberto Giobbi) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
Hi guys,

I wonder if I need these books, if I already own DVD's. And do you know if it is possible to buy them ( it may be second hand ) for a good price?

Thank's
Bicycle Rider
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Bicycle Rider
Hi Paragon. Just a few questions for before we could help you more clearly. What DVDs do you have already? How long have you been into (card) magic? What are your goals in terms of magic (or card magic)?
Conjurer of cheap tricks
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
- I have Card College DVD set - I am watching first DVD from 4 - the explanations are very clear and I could say detailed so I wonder, if the book can be any better and therefore needed.
- I have been into (card) magic for about 5 months (Practise maybe 30hours, but I surf throughout the internet and watch tricks, etc.) - I already know basic sleights as DL, (Alex) Elmsley *****, ... but none of them well - they work, but I didn't practise enough - I would prefer to present them instead of learning them properly, but I made a decision to pracitce more Smile
- My goals: I would like to be something between hobbiest and semi-pro: I think I want to be something like street magician I love tricks like XB, Tagged, Interlace (all from Richard Sanders - I do NOT perform them, but I love watching them - I do not know the secret yet) - you know to make unknown people happy and wonder, but I think for beggining I want to do card magic for several reasons:
1) You go out, you don't want to carry all those gimmicks, TT, etc. you pick your deck of cards and you are ready to perform
2) I think I like card magic
3) I think for beginning it's the most cool and basic sleights are easy once you practise
4) Somebody who knows you may tell you do something amazing I can't say oh I don't have my mana power Smile, instead of it I'd like to have arsenal of card tricks

P.S: from the magicians I LOVE Tommy Wonder - he was the best
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
Oh, and I've forgotten to mention: if there is any book as good as card college and cheper - I know, but I don't want to spend another 70$ for these books let me know. I read RRTCM, but didn't like it very much.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7985 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I think you'll find that my books are much too expensive for you, Paragon.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
@Mr. Lorayne: I think impromptu card magic is cool but now I need book for in-depth description of basic sleights. I also don't know if I can afford your books now, but which one would you recommend for me and why?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
664 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I refined my overhand shuffle because of Harry's touches on it. I thought Harry did a great job of explaining what needed to be known in order to do an effect.

Paragon the best thing that having the book and dvd is that you can watch the dvd with the book in front of you. It will help you understand how magic books are written. This helped me out when looking at other books because I got an idea of how to approach a book and how to read it.

Do you need Card College, not really. If money is tight go with Royal Road to Card Magic. Card College feels like a college course. You are given more then you need on a subject and then you have to decide the best way to utilize them.

Great series though and since you are starting out it is a good place to start. If money is tight just buy one volume at a time.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7985 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I'd recommend THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1. Why? Because it will teach you impromptu card magic. Problem is - is that it's probably three or four times more costly than RRTCM.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5781 Posts

Profile of motown
The card college DVDs only cover the first two books. At some point you're going to want to get volume 3, 4 and 5, in book form. Buy them when you have the funds.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
667 Posts

Profile of Bulla
The books also have various essays on different subjects.
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
And is there something else as good as card college but not RRTCM? I didn't like it much. Also, I want to read which mat is good, maybe some history about magic, what should I do, what I shouldn't, I think you know. If not I have to save money Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
859 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 10:35, Paragon wrote:
And is there something else as good as card college [...]?

NO!!!
Bicycle Rider
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Bicycle Rider
Thanks for the info Paragon. Since you are indeed interested getting more advanced in Card Magic, I do think you could look into more Card magic materials. Regarding if you need the books after having the DVDs. Here is the quote from Roberto regarding to this topic:

"each media has its advantages: the book on one hand can go into more detail and it is easier to pace one‘s learning, the DVD on the other hand immediately shows you the Gestalt of the move and above all that it is feasible - this insight greatly facilitates the learning process. Decide according to your learning style, each medium being complete in itself, and if you can afford it get both the books and the DVDs."

I understand that budget is a concern, I think with the Card College DVDs, you should be able to learn the basic sleights. I think you could also look into some other books for effects that uses simple sleights. Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne, for an example, is relatively affordable, and with some easy to do card magic.
Conjurer of cheap tricks
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I am in the beginning of working with "Card College". Personally, as I've said, I think Giobbi is a genius. In Volume One he presents a set of basics, and then some tricks that can be done with the basics. Everything is illustrated with line drawings, as he says these are easier to grasp than photographs.

A brief observation: In some instances I have found the illustrations in "Royal Road to Card Magic" to be clearer than those in "Card College". Also, "Royal Road" also follows the format of teaching basic techniques, then some tricks that can be done with them, then more advanced techniques, and so on.

It seems to me that a prime advantage of Roberto's book is that he talks about very detailed refinements to techniques that might otherwise take someone a really long time to work out on their own, and there is just so much more there than in RRTCM.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7985 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I think you should all listen to mlippo - he REALLY knows!!! Incidentally, all my books, lecture notes, etc., are now available in e-books. If you'd like a list with prices, go to my personal email address - first one listed below (with the word "earthlink" in it. Best - HL.

mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
859 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 11:04, Magic Pierre wrote:
I am in the beginning of working with "Card College". Personally, as I've said, I think Giobbi is a genius.

I honestly don't think that of Roberto Giobbi.
But he's a person who has studied a lot (and from the best ones!). He knows what he's writing about and you cannot go wrong with ANY of his books!!!

mlippo
mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
859 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 11:21, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I think you should all listen to mlippo - he REALLY knows!!!

AM I OR AM I NOT ENTITLED TO HAVE MY OWN FREAKIN' OPINION???? AND TO TELL EVERYONE ELSE ABOUT IT????

I did not attack you personally. Actually I didn't mention you either. Just think about it...

Question was if there is something better than Card College to start on card magic. And I think there isn't!

mlippo
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
You know, I can't remember who on the Café, I think it might have been Steve Youell, said recently that they didn't care all that much for "Card College". There have also been people who think the best view of Tarbell is in the rear-view, since he's so "old hat". Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people are just not going to dig CC, but will prefer "Expert Card Technique", or Erdnase, or something else, and that's just fine.

With respect to my comment about Giobbi being a genius, I am saying that not so much based on the content of "Card College" but more on the basis of what I have read in "Secret Agenda" and "Confidences". I like CC a lot, but "Secret Agenda" has so much other stuff, a lot of which is only related to magic in the most tenuous way, that I just think he must be some kind of polymath.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
664 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
For the money Card College reads to me like a text book. I really enjoyed Royal Road and I even thought (which some don't and that's ok) that the writing was really good and entertaining at points.

Card College sets up a good foundation that doesn't have overlap, which would occur if you bought a few books or dvds on a subject. I will say I am all for overlap. Looking at different sources for the same move can be quite helpful, that also goes with dvds.

What ever you choose just go with it and let the magic come.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 13:03, Andy_Young wrote:
I will say I am all for overlap. Looking at different sources for the same move can be quite helpful, that also goes with dvds.

Amen. There have been some things in CC I couldn't understand until I looked them up somewhere else. Also, there are often various handlings of the same technique in various books where someone else's idea works better than the first one I might have read. For example, Dai Vernon's treatment of the pass (or switch) in "Revelation" is really cool, and I like it better than the one in "Card College".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card College (Roberto Giobbi) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL