We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fox Favorites (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
There are a handful of performers who's books I continuely find myself going back to time and time again. Either because of the type of magic they create, the variety of magic in the books or just the pure simplicity of it. Those names include Aldo Colombini, David Regal, Jay Sankey, David Acer and Karrell Fox. I own all or most of their books.

The following are a few of my favorites from Karrell Fox's books, a name I don't mentioned very much here on the Café:

"Clever Like a Fox" (1976)
-The Plastrick Bag, p70, a deck is placed in a plastic bag, the spectators selected card penetrates the bag.
-Pyromaniact, p149, a burned and restored hank. This can also be found on Daryl's Fooler Doolers DVD set.
-Bullseye Card Trick, p155, a spectator's selected card is found with a bullet hole after being shot with a toy gun. Uses an ordinary deck.

"Another Book" (1979)
-Pola-Cola, p55, an outstanding cigarette thru quarter routine.
-6 Keys to a Hairy Head, p141, a terrific version of Anneman's 7 Keys to Baldplate.
-Bank Night Plus , p271, a really nice Bank Night presentation.

"AbraKFox" (1983)
-A Better Bendix, p29, a nice routine for the Bendix Bombshell.
-A Blank Look On Their Faces, p48, a spectators selected card is found in a deck that first turns blank and the back to normal. Deck can be examined.

"For My Next Trick" (1986)
-Jacks in the Box, p67, for selected cards placed in the card case change to the 4 jacks.
-IBM Rose, p110, two sheets of tissue paper, one green and one red, after being examined by a spectator change to a rose.
-The Foxy Nest O' Bags, p119, a ring disappears from a hank, it's then found in a ring box, which was wrapped in a silk, which is in a glass tumbler, which is in a series of paper bags held by a spectator.

"My Latest Book" (1988)
-A New Look at an Old Effect, p24, a nice take on Coin in Bottle using a bill as a funnel.
-Houdini Escapes, p37, a kind of jumping rubber and effect wrapped around a Houdini presentation.
-Short-Cuts, p64, a really nice repeat card stab.

Well, as you can tell from this list, Karrell's books have a nice variety of magic in them.

One of my favorite Karrell Fox quotes is this:
"Don't ask me what's new, ask me what's old."

Maybe you'll get inspired by this list and find something old.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
One other Karrell Fox creation that deserves mentioning is his Final Edition Paper Tear on p177 of his "For My Next Trick" book. It also was sold as a stand alone item.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
726 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Karrell Fox was a genius and a very nice man. He is missed.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a couple from one of Karrell's earliest books:

"Comedy Ala Card" (1960), these are both quickies.

- Spotz, p10, a card is selected (the four of hearts for example) and pushed into the center of the deck. You mention that when you tap the deck the chosen card will jump to the bottom. When the pack is turned over, the spectators instead see a 5 of hearts. Asking how many spots their card had, you pop out one of the pips, turning it to four hearts.

- Hum-Bug Prediction, p7, a piece of paper with a magical bug on it is used to find a spectators selected card in the deck. The image could be what ever you like, depending on the presentation you want to put to it. You could make up several of these and have different outcomes.

Another item of note is from the New Stars of Magic:

The "Signa-Tare" Card Illusion", Volume 1, No. 8
Effect: a card is selected and signed by the spectator. The card is torn first in half and then in quarters, the signature being visible. One piece of card is given to the spectator to hold. The other pieces are clipped together and given to the spectator to hold. They're then taken back and the 3 pieces are magically restored. The piece held by the spectator matches the missing corner.

There was an interesting idea in Karrell's "My Latest Book" that I forgot to mention. It won't be for every one. It's an idea of Stanley Jaks, on p39, to use a hollowed out book to carry your magic props. Imagine a great old magic book or one of those thick hardbound Tannen's catalogs. You can even buy these pre-made.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
This effect from "Aother Book" should have read:
-Poka-Cola, p55, an outstanding cigarette thru quarter routine.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
"Much Ado About Something" (1995)

While for many this is Karrell's least favorite book, I still found several items I liked.
Here's a few of my favorites:

-A Sizeable Card Revelation, p45, A card with the word BIG on it changes into the spectators selected card.

-Tissue Color, p120, A green silk changes to red after being pushed through the center of square of red tissue paper. A nice quickie.

-SealedStab Prediction, p56, A sealed envelope pushed into a deck by a spectator, is opened, it contains a prediction that matches the stabbed to card.

-Lucky Fox, p114, A nice presentation idea for Bank Night.

-Karrell's Card Schtick, p45, A card revelation using a paddle.

-Cadician Blendo Revisited, p147, Spectator selects a card, performer attempts twice to reveal the selection using card silks. Both times he's wrong. Those silks are rolled together changing into a card silk that matches the spectators card.

This is not one I would do, but I liked the idea.

-Don't Miss Your Cue, p158, It's a pool presentation using a modified egg bag, cue ball and appearing cane as your cue stick.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a great one of Karrell's I neglected to list earlier.

From "Another Book"
The Gift of the Magi (Small Red Table), p 279

After getting the assistance of a spectator, you bring out a small red table that happens to be invisible. Bringing out an invisible deck, you fan it in front of your spectator asking them to name any card they see. They name a card. A Miracle has happened. You produce a jumbo card of the one they named from your inside coat pocket or some other place.

This one's all about the presentation.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
"Goodies" - 1991

Here's some favorites from one of Karrell's books you never seem to here anything about:

-A "Tear-able" Card Trick, p 49, A card is selected from a packet of 10 and returned. The cards are mixed, torn in quarters, tossed in a bag and mixed. Four pieces are removed one at a time and attached to a sheet of plastic. Fitting perfectly together. The plastic is turned around and shown to be the spectators selected card.

-Sounuva Switch, p 84, A jumbo prediction card previously shown and wrapped in newspaper changes into a spectators selected card from a normal size deck, to the surprise of the rest of the audience.

-Changing the Change, p 25, Two pennies and two nickels switch places after being thrown under a jumbo penny and nickel. You need a table and mat for this one.
– Karl Germain
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
726 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Abb Dickson had lecture notes for a memorial IBM lecture about Mr.Fox. One of the best items was "Cereal Killer" packs small and plays big.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-11-12 23:46, charliemartin wrote:
Abb Dickson had lecture notes for a memorial IBM lecture about Mr.Fox. One of the best items was "Cereal Killer" packs small and plays big.
You can find it in Karrell's book "Much Ado About Something" and these lecture notes:

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/foxkarrellsimplymagic.htm
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Karrell Fox always included a few original sleights and moves in his books, here's a few that I've found very useful:

- About Face, a nice way to reverse a card in the deck. "Clever Like a Fox", p69

- F.V.M.T., a variation of the Mexican Turnover that some may find easier. "Another Book", p88

- Super Scooper, a way to change four cards on the top of the deck with a four of the kind on the table. "AbraKfox", p53

- Center-Tainment, a way to exchange a card in the center of the deck. "My latest Book", p55

- The Injog Palm, a palm from the center of the deck. "Goodies", p33
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
I'd be interested to hear others what your favorite material is from Karrell's books.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a few more of Karrell's effects taken from Magazines and Lecture Notes

[b]Genii Magazine, Vol 41, No. 7, July, 1977[b/]
- Karrell's "Trick-Key" Case
A nice way to do Ring Flight without the Ring Flight gimmick and worry.

[b]Karrell Fox Lecture Notes '93[b/]
- Gold Dust
A ring place in an envelope and sealed disappears. In it's place, gold dust is found.
This could work nicely with Karrell's The Foxy Nest O' Bags from "For My Next Trick" (see above)

[b]Karrell Fox's Simple Sorcery Lecture Notes[b/]
- Silkut
A silk rolled in a paper tube is cut, the halves separated and the silk removed restored. This is really good.

[b]Karrell Fox's Simple Sorcery Lecture Notes[b/]
- The E. C. Card in Wallet
This is a nice torn and restored card selected by a spectator found in a wallet held by another spectator.

[b]The Magic of Karrell Fox Lecture Series #1 / Abb Dickson[b/]
- Ringo
A ring or coin disappears from a silk held by a spectator.
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fox Favorites (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL