The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting kid magic shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
I have been do magic for year and a bit now. I have been practising up kid magic show routines. I have done my research on which are good tricks and how to make the show entertaining. But I don't know how many solid routines do I need ? How long should my first kids magic show be for?

Last of all does any know any good Australian online magic shops because they have no magic ship in Western Australia (And I do want to pay a fortune on postage).
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I don't do kids magic shows but I do delivery science shows in schools. The time of a show is hard to pick. I think for the young kids 30-40 mintes is long enough. Some guys I know do a 30 min show then do 30 min of balloon modelling or face painting. A close friend of mine dose a 30 min show then you can meet his bunny and he has some kid friendly close up stuff. This is helpful as the kids with ants in there pants can go nuts and the kids into can watch more.

This is just my opion like I say I don't do kids shows.

Austrilian shop try these guys.
http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/

Her is a on-line store in New Zealand. great custermor service.
http://www.magicandmore.co.nz/

Problem with begin this side of the world is postage. It cost these guys the same to get tow or three DVDS the same as us. So some times it can be cheper t order from the souce. Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thank you for responding. I am learning balloon modelling and I think 30 min show/30 min modelling is a great idea.
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
The online stores are great Smile
I have been looking around and can not find any magic shops in WA. Are there any?
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Sethjm
Welcome to the Magic Café.
Where are you located in WA??? - if you are in Perth you should be able to find a magic club that will have members that will be of great value to you.
The ideas suggested by Mr Yellow Custard and very good general advise that will give you a good direction to start with.
Off course there are a lot of different things that you will need to consider (which routines and how to present them, the use of volunteers, your character, how to carry your gear, amplification???, etc) but I reckon just getting out there with you best material will set you on your way for an excellant learing experience.
You may find it well worth your while to take this discussion to the section titled "The little Darlings" where the issue of performing for children is specificly discussed - You should also get some good discussion here.
In regard to online magic shops in Oz you should also check out "Taylors Magic" shop also in Sydney and Insane Magic Shop at Tweed Heads would be worth checking as well. All the businesses mentioned are most helpful.
If you would like to discuss specific issues about performing magic shows for children I would be most happy to discuss issues with you over email troppobob@troppomagic.com.au and via the personal message section on this forum.
I wish you all the best with your learning.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Welcome to the Café. In Australia most magicians are probably in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane. I'm just out of Melbourne and mix with a few other magicians at shows & clubs. I hope you find a Perth club there, If that's where you live. Otherwise you might need to learn all your material from books, DVD's and the Internet. This site is invaluable.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thanks scottds80
I have called the magic club in Perth but they told me I was too young. I am 14 and the and need to be 16.
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thank you Troppo Bob
Thank you for your advise and giving your email. AS I mentioned I am too young for the magic club. I live about a 40 Min drive south of Perth.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
G'day Sethjm! (I stole that greeting from Bob! He wont mind, as we are pals.

I was just a few months shy of 14, when I started performing (in 1945!). I grew up in a somewhat similar situation as you are in now. I lived in the UPPER PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN, almost on the Canadian border. There weren't many magicians to see! But, I saw everyone that I could!

I travelled the United States (coast to coast and border to border)after serving in the US Navy and completing college. I presented programs in schools. (From Kindergarten thru High Schools, and some colleges).

I retired a few years ago--back in the old home town.

I keep busy with an occasional show and I'm spending a lot of time with the Boy Scouts. (I spend a couple of months each summer as a leader in Scout summer camps.)I was a Scout in my teen years. Now, I'm 'giving back' what I learned!

I don't have a lot of free time, but I usually can find a few moments to mentor a bit. --if the learner is serious about performing!

PM me, if you like, and we'll get acquainted. I am currently working with two young fellows. one lives about 700 miles away, in another state, and the other lives only 50 miles away. Both will graduate high school this month. They both perform in the usual places available to young guys--birthday parties, libraries, etc.

Best wishes! --and welcome to our 'motley' crew!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thanks Dick
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I'm in the same situation as sethjim and I was wondering about kids parties more in the area of advertising. I'm younger, but I'm interested in making a few bucks doing what I love. the only problem I have is how to get noticed. Do I put flyers in the mailboxes in my neighborhood? do I put an add in the paper? I'm kind of lost and any advise would be greatly appreaciated. Smile
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
I not sure about that. I am just trying to get some solid routines.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
If you are performing for small kids(5th grade and under) than 20 minutes should be the max. For teenagers 40 minutes should be the max. Hope this helps.
Are you watching closely?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Magicman 344>>> do not put anything in mailboxes. The USPS takes a DIM view of that!

Ads in the paper are not cheap and you get only one shot for your buck,

Lots of mothers use Laundromats. Laundromats have bulletin boards. Check them out.

Sell a show to the library. Have handbills to pass out to those who attend.

Children's Day Care Center will use a show.

NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE "BIG MONEY" BUT YOU NEED TO GET EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOU CAN ASK MUCH MORE THAN AN HONORARIUM.

Be sure you are ready with a show before you try to book it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thanks Roy
That sounds about right
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thanks Dick
I am thinking about practising for another month or two. Then offer free shows at library.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I my wife and I experiences printed advertising dose not work. Our service of science shows is in demand and people like it. They recomed it to there friend and we have a good percentage of re-bookings. The things that work for us is a good website that comes up when key words are searched for. These do not need to cost a fourtune. Our Google site and domain name cost less a year than two printed mail outs. Also we just like you as a magician sell on us and our personality's. So as mentioned above expose your self to future bookings. We know two education orgnastions in NZ. One run a big event for teachers each year and we do a free training session. And the second we go to there events and do walk round science amongst other things. Yes we do this for free but the response we get back is amazing.

I think for you get good business cards and cards and offer to do walk round busk style stuff at community fairs in schools and the like.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
sethjm
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sethjm
Thanks for the advise Yellowcustard.
I be sure to do just that
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting kid magic shows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL