The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Bizarrist from the U.K. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
Hello all, this is my attempt at an open and honest introduction. Obviously WichesHat is not my real name, I could never be that lucky, it's a reference to a somewhat obscure song because I'm that kind of pretentious. I haven't used my real name simply because I'm paranoid about privacy and becoming too 'Googleble' but I'm happy to share it here. My real Name is Harry Scott-Moncrieff, some members will already know me, I ask the rest of you to please not believe what they tell you.

I'm 26 years old. While I consider myself well read, and a competent performer as well as having a decent amount of real world experience performing to paying strangers, I wouldn't feel comfortable calling myself a 'pro' in any sense of the word. I know I still have a lot to learn. I've had good years and bad years, and throughout it all I've never reached my goal of making a living purely by performing. The one skill I know I truly lack is marketing and managing myself, which I understand is important and I'm taking steps to improve.

At my heart I'm a bizarrist, although I realise that the type of bizarre magic I want to perform is not very commercial, so right now, for simplicity, I call myself a magician. Although when the opportunity arrives I claim the traditional meaning of the word and attempt to prove it. Im deeply influenced by the works of Alan Moore, Robert Anton Wilson and Terry Pratchett and I attempt to draw from their definitions of magic in my performance style. Yes I am a Discordian.

I have a personal obsession with the perfect star sign revelation, at this point it's hard to say how far along my progress is, the only important thing is I'm not there yet.

I'm dyslexic, and while I take pains to spell check, I can never be perfect. Also dyslexia doesn't just effect spelling, it affect sentence structure, which means I struggle to express my thoughts in writing. Because of this I try to write concisely, while at the same time I ramble, which can sometimes make me come across as rude or flippant. I honestly don't mean to be either, however I do hold to a personal motto of not taking anything seriously, which some people understandably can find annoying. I try not to inflict my beliefs and morals onto others, and frankly I don't think my opinion is that important.

I will try to be respectful and good mannered, if you feel I've offended you let me know most likely I will sincerely apologise. I recognise that this forum is filled with many different performers and hobbyists and we all have a right to speak and be heard.

A lady once hired me to perform at a wedding, she described me as 'A showoff without ego.' I don't know how accurate that is but I like it as a descreption.

Also, in complete honesty, this place has a reputation that scares the crap out of me.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello 'showoff without ego'!

That's a very interesting description!

OK here's the bad joke!!! What does a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac do? (Answer is further down, (so you can't cheat and peek!!!)

You sound like a very interesting person to know! I think you are going to enjoy meeting some of "us"! (We're a motley crew, but, basically a friendly lot.)

This is a very informal group. You might find us on a Saturday evening in your local pub, doing a trick or two, or just discussing the magic gossip~.

We're mostly a friendly, compatible group too. (well, there are a couple old grouches!) Incidentally, the answer to the riddle is: A dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake for hours, wondering if there is a dog!

I hope you wont mind my being a little facetious about such a vexing problem, but sometimes a chuckle will lighten 'the load'.

I have a major hearing loss, and I need to wear hearing aids. My favorite hearing aid joke is the hearing impaired person, says to his friend: "I just got a new hearing aid". His friend replies: "What kind is it?" The hearing impaired guy replies: "Two thirty"!

So, welcome~ Come in! make yourself 'at home'. In Deutsch: "HIER IST GEMUETLICHEIT"!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome WitchesHat,

I'd love to hear about the reputation the Café has.

I'm Dyslexic myself and I appreciate that you use your spell check and don't just use Dyslexia as an excuse to inflict pain on the readers.
Just as an aside I hear there are some new glasses that cure Dyslexia. Now I'm wondering if I would want to give up the advantages that come with it.

I look forward to your posts although I'm not into the bizarre, weirdly different is fine by me.

-Mary Mowder
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Welcome to the Café

sparky Smile
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Harry,
I really enjoyed your resume but kept your word and did not believe in even one word ! Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 54.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
There you are...

Welcome aboard, Harry!

...more in the other thread... Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi (again) Harry!

I was hoping that you would have replied by now! (I was also hoping to get a definition of "Discordian"!!!

Ken Weber (a few years ago) wrote a book: "Maximum Entertainment". It may help you with the BUSINESS part of Show BUSINESS!. It's $40.00 US, but I think worth every penny, Show business, should be spelled>>> $how Bu$ine$$ <<<!

I'm speaking as a retired full time professional with 68 years of performing experience. (1945--1967 as a part time pro, and 1966--2008 as a full time pro. Now, retired, I'm a part time pro. again. (Funny! I don't feel any different!!!)

"Professional" is as much or more an ATTITUDE, as it is an entity. $$$ is only a part of it!

Hopefully, those of us who are welcoming you, are not living up to the "reputation" of the café!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 05:26, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome WitchesHat,

I'd love to hear about the reputation the Café has.

Alright the Café has on occasion exploded into big arguments with lots of ego's firing up and lot's of (what I feel to be) innocent people getting attacked, harrased or banned. I can have a tendancy to say stupid things, and I love talking about 'hot issues' and I'm not sure I'll always be able to keep my mouth shut on issues that probably shouldn't be brought up.

I love the idea of long in depth debate about pretty much everything, but I know how they always turn out online so I try to minimise my involvemnt.

I accept and respect the fact that this forum is made and run by the moderators so what they say goes, I get that this isn't a free public space but more like a private club with very loose membership rules, made and run by a few people who expect us to abide by their created laws, that's fine I intent to do that. I just sometimes can't keep my stupid mouth shut.

Quote:
On 2013-05-21 09:36, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi (again) Harry!

I was hoping that you would have replied by now! (I was also hoping to get a definition of "Discordian"!!!

Sorry I checked back in here a few times but didn't notice the updates for some reason.

Discordian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Discordia

I d also recommend any book by Robert Anton Wilson, especially 'Cosmic Trigger'.
http://www.rawilson.com/

For me Discordianism is a religion in the way that a moral code or world view can be seen as a religion. The inherent philosophy differs from practitioner to practitioner but for me the core principle is that taking things seriously is what leads to conflict both with yourself and with others.

Some people see discordianism as a joke disguised as a religion, some see it as a religion disguised as a joke, I have seen the future and know the two sides will eventually go to war over this disagreement, and the wrong side shall win.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Hi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Bizarrist from the U.K. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL