The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » You're booked on Letterman. What would you perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
A interesting discussion here concerning Ricky Jay's recent appearance on David Letterman got me wondering enough that I thought it might make an interesting thread. We'll see.

Letterman can be a bit of a pill concerning magicians and doesn't mind interrupting no matter who you are or where you are in the routine. It was observed by one prominent member here that Ricky's choice of trick was perhaps not the best for a Letterman type spectator. I agreed. And he added that he had a routine perfect for the conditions. I wondered "What would I have performed?"

Here are the conditions. You can bet Letterman will want to shuffle the deck. You can also bet he may call you out on anything he thinks is a "force" - he did with Ricky. And he will likely interrupt you. You're sitting down. The desk is on your left.

Ambitious Card doesn't count. I already thought of that.

So what would you perform?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The Biddle Trick or Whack Your Pack.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
I'd make Jay Leno appear.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 20:55, motown wrote:
I'd make Jay Leno appear.

And then make Conan O'brien disappear? Yea, that was a bad joke but I'm with team Coco.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
I would perform a gag effect, get a laugh...make sure he couldn't mess anything up...perhaps something that makes him look silly.

Billy
OliveroG
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of OliveroG
I'd do anything, but before the show I'd talk to him and tell him what to do and what not to do for the sake of the show, if he doesn't agree, I would not perform. Would you seriously risk your image in live TV so a heckler has the opportunity to destroy you and your career?. "Oh I saw that magician in Letterman, he discovered his trick and made him look like an idiot". Even if he didn't, that's the picture they'd perceive if he tried (or succeeded) heckling you.

But hey, that's just me.
I hope you understand, my dear friend, that everything you are seeing is a lie, but everything you are feeling holds true.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
I think a "do as I do" would be a good and funny one to do on TV.
Or a trick where someone he chooses in the audience reads his mind and guesses the card he's selected (I really love this effect as performed by Kevin King).
I think the best way to succeed on this show is to have fun with him (without doing a sucker effect).

P!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 22:33, OliveroG wrote:
I'd do anything, but before the show I'd talk to him and tell him what to do and what not to do for the sake of the show, if he doesn't agree, I would not perform. Would you seriously risk your image in live TV so a heckler has the opportunity to destroy you and your career?. "Oh I saw that magician in Letterman, he discovered his trick and made him look like an idiot". Even if he didn't, that's the picture they'd perceive if he tried (or succeeded) heckling you.

But hey, that's just me.

With all due respect, you wouldn't be in a position to call the shots. You'd adapt your stuff to fit their constraints, or they'd tell you to hit the bricks.

Talk to John Carney.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 22:33, OliveroG wrote:

But hey, that's just me.
l

Wouldn't Letterman be your main spectator? If you need set ground rules for a spectator, you might need to tighten up your act. Even if he calls you out on something, you need to be sharp and have outs. Hecklers don't make or break your career, you do.

I would perform my favorite set! Smile Chicago Lottery and Omni Pen/Deluxe Nest of Wallets.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1504 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 21:15, drumdemon420 wrote:
And then make Conan O'brien disappear? Yea, that was a bad joke but I'm with team Coco.

That's OK, Team Coco's used to bad jokes.

I would do the Smiling Mule gag, but I would awkwardly make the bet about donating a size-able sum to the UNICEF. And then I wouldn't pay it off by capturing his card. F him.
Actually, I wouldn't do that because I'm a wuss, but we're just trash talkin' here anyway.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I remember Kreskin doing a simple trick that floored Letterman. Used a stacked deck (SS Order) and he had Letterman take out any group of five cards. He then "concentrated" and named all five cards. Out of order, of course...

Whatever I did, I'd peek the card. Then no matter WHAT Letterman did, I can still do a miracle. He could grab the deck, shuffle the cards, etc and I'd STILL know the card. Then I'd probably do some sort of Lie Detector. Dave could occupy himself trying to mess me up with lying, and I'd STILL be able to discern the selection even though I didn't touch the cards.

Wouldn't require a table, the only procedure that couldn't be adjusted to time would be the selection and that only takes a few seconds. And the Audience would have the opportunity to see the card so they would know I got it right.

Easy. Darn near bullet proof and easily adjustable to varying time constraints.

So I'd probably do something like that.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Most likely a signed Card To Wallet.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1403 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Definitely signed card to wallet, then close with signed card to sealed deck.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2502 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Ever since he did magic week, I've thought about this a lot. The two things I've come up with are a simple divination based on a glimpse, similar to Youell above. The other is Blizzard. He can shuffle the cards ahead of time and name any card in the deck, then you're off to the races. Hopefully the camera will tighten up on him when he's mixing the 4 cards so you can do the dirty work off camera. If not, it should still fly by.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
There's a routine by Woody Aragon based on Nick Trost's 18 Card Poker Deal: Blessed Poker. You can find it in "A Book in English".
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
This is a great thread. I think I'd start with Steve Beam's "Opening Stab." If he said anything about shuffling, I'd just say, "I can't let you do that because I have the cards in a certain order." Then, after I spread the cards to show them in new deck order, I'd say, "Now you see why I didn't want you to shuffle. The cards are in what we call 'new deck' order, but I did let you put that envelope in there anywhere you wanted. You put it between the seven and nine of spades..." (For those of you unfamiliar with this effect, when he opens the envelope, the eight of spades would be inside). If I had time for another effect, I would say, "Go ahead and shuffle the deck so they won't be in order any more." Then I would do "Your Fateful Hour" by Carlhorst Meier.
"Cards are the poetry of magic." J.N. Hofzinser
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
693 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Simple, make any of his past lawsuits or extortion attempts disappear
CardsandCoins
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of CardsandCoins
I'd make him more a passive spectator and do my Torn and Restored Card.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
I would definitely perform Jay Sankey's Airtight, lets just hope he doesn't want to look at the deck first.
Are you watching closely?
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1036 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I would put him in a straight jacket ,with a blindfold on and put a dog bone in his mouth.
Then I would ask Beyonce and Rihanna to help me with a card trick!

dreammmmmmm on jc:-)

Have a great weekend

jc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » You're booked on Letterman. What would you perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL