The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » In honor of Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I know that this post is probably in the wrong place, but I also know that this area of the Café gets a lot of traffic, so I thought I would post it here.

I thought it would be appropriate to honor Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien now for their special and significant contributions to the art of Magic...

Both of these men were pioneers in Magic, and should be recognized as such...and if you as a magician have ever worked on TV or have done trade shows, you can thank Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien, who both, literally, broke the trade show area wide open in Chicago and paved the way for the rest of us!

Marshall Brodien had the longest-running bit on TV as a Magician in the World as Wizzo on the Bozo show on WGN-TV in Chicago.....26 years!!! Yes, Ernie Heldman, Don Alan and Jay Marshall, Fantasio, Mr.Electric (Marvin Roy), Mark Wilson, and Roy Benson were on TV before Marshall, but he had the longest TV run in the world...and that's saying something.

None of us are getting any younger, so rather than posting "In Memory" of these two GREATS in Magic, I thought I would post "In Honor" of them.

Both Johnny and Marshall are friends, both are sweethearts of a guy, and I take my hat off to both of them for advancing the art of magic for all of us!..

Thank you Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien for all you have done for the Art of Magic!!!

BRAVO!!!!!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great idea! I have never met Marshall, but I have known Johnny and Pam for quite a number of years. They are absolutely amazing and true ambassadors to the art of Magic.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I, and I am sure many others here, can credit Marshall Brodien and the TV Magic Set/TV Magic Cards among my earliest inspirations to do what I do.

Click here to view attached image.
CardsandCoins
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of CardsandCoins
Kudos and Thanks to Marshall Brodien and Johnny Thompson.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
If you read this thread and have a Marshall Brodien or Johnny Thompson story...please feel free to add it!

Now if we could only get these gentlemen on The Magic Café....what a treat that would be!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Agreed! They are 2 of the greats! Johnny and Pam are one of my favorite magic acts! They are at the top of my "Magic Acts I Would Like To See Live" list.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I feel fortunate to have seen Tomsoni & Company last year at Abracorndabra.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having know 'em all for many moons... you really don't know what great and generous people they are.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I sent both Johnny and Marshall an E-Mail with a link to this page........

I'm sure they will enjoy seeing your comments regarding their OUTSTANDING careers and advancements they have made to the art of Magic...

Please keep the comments coming~!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Not too many people know that Johnny Thompson was a member of, and toured with, The Harmonicats........

Check this link out on the Tomsoni and Co. Website...GREAT reading!

http://www.tomsoni.com/press/interview-with-max-maven.php
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
And here's a link to a tiny bit of information about Marshall Brodien from the Chicago History Museum.....if you haven't read Marshall Brodien's book...I promise you that YOU WILL BE AMAZED by the TRUE stories in his book about his life in Magic!

http://blog.chicagohistory.org/index.php......n-magic/
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
I saw and met Johnny Thompson in Colon at the Abbotts get-together (I think it was 1992)..
I still remember tomsoni's act more than anything of that convention.
He was so nice to talk to me and sign an autograph (which I still have)... I was about 15 at the time.
Johnny did an AMAZING impression of Dai Vernon and Slydini. He also did a mentalism bit with Tom Mullica as the illegitimate grandson of kuda bux, the man with the x ray eyes.. It still makes me laugh when I think of it.
He has always been a hero of mine in the magic world!! Thanks Johnny!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
I too have seen Johnny perform several times.
enjoyed it very much.A master performer for sure.
Todd
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I don't remember the exact year, it must have been in the early '70s, possibly mid '70s. I came in off the road, and headed for Jay's and the Charlie Miller Suite. I dropped my suitcase and prop case and was having a cup of coffee with Jay.

Jay said, 'Johnny Thompson is at the Playboy Club with his new act (TOMSONI). Let's go see him tonight." I said, "Fine!" After one of Fran's very nice dinners, and a lot of "getting up to date conversation", we were getting ready to leave about 8PM. The phone rang. It was Dick Stoner. He had just finished a trade show, and Jay said, "Dick and I are just leaving to catch Johnny's act at the Playboy Club. We'll pick you up."

As we walked downstairs, the Carmen Street doorbell rang. It was Al Goshman. Jay said, "Get in Dick's station wagon, we're going to see Johnny (etc.)." We picked up Dick and got the car parked. Jay knew the headwaiter, and we were shown to ringside seats. It was one of those long tables facing the performing area. We were all seated on one side of the table. We looked like "members of the jury" in a jury box!

A couple of comedians did a very good opening act, and TOMSONI came on. All four of us were sitting with our arms crossed and staring at Johnny like we were about to announce the jury verdict! He glanced in our direction, recognized us, rolled his eyes,--and began the act (like the fine professional that he was (and, still is!!!).

We had a good laugh later. (We also had many great laughs DURING the act!)

This was before Pam became an integral part of "THE GREAT TOMSONI", as "AND CO.". I had met Johnny before, but after the Playboy Club incident, we became much better acquainted.

We've worked together on convention shows (I especially remember the SAM in NYC in '78) and I have enjoyed his company many times since.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Thanks to a Marshall Brodien's magic set, I am enjoying my life now that I'm retired from the Post Office. As a kid I would do magic shows with tricks that my Dad had made. For some reason, I got out of magic. Then in the 80's, when I was in my 30's, my wife ordered me a Marshall Brodien magic set that was featured on a home shopping channel. That was the spark I needed to get me back into magic. Now I'm having the time of my life.
Thanks Marshall!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heqq! I just wrote 300 words on Marshall, and this infernal electrisch peckenclacker ate them in one gulp.

I'll try to get back tomorrow and rewrite them. Remind me...it's all about Marshall and Edwin Hooper. Also Jay, Marshall and I, plus out takes on Marshall's TV Commercials.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Didn't Marshall Brodien have a son-in-law who was a magician in Akron Ohio, named Eddie Sequin?. He performed in a cape and mask. aHe was also a dealer with a limited line. We got together several times in the 70's and I purchased some feather flowers from him.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
WIZARDPA'S note about Marshall's Magic Set, stimulated this old brain, and I started reminiscing...

I don't know if he planned it, but Marshall Brodien (alias (!) WHIZZO--WGN TV's BOZO SHOW) became the 'ultimate' Svengali Pitchman! He certainly sold a "whole bunch" of TV Magic Cards, when they hit the market in the early '70s.

Magic sets soon followed. Business boomed!

When an "indoor" Amusement Park opened just west of Chicago, members of the Showmens League of America,were invited guests to the grand opening. (It was a little Disneyland under a roof)! Jay Marshall, John Shirley and I, as members of SLA attended. One of the first 'joints' (carnie term) we saw was a magic shop! Guess who owned it--and was behind the counter! Yup! The honorable Mr. Brodien!

A short time later, the late Edwin Hooper (SUPREME MAGIC owner--England)was in the U.S. doing the conventions. He visited Jay Marshall. Jay told me that Edwin was convinced that Supreme was 'now' the biggest magic company. Jay took Edwin to see Marshall's "operation". Edwin's eyes popped when he saw it. It was BIG!

Marshall started TV commercials--he had had a great experience with the "SevenGali" decks! (I know that's misspelled! I think it was Eddie Field who always called them that.)

He did the demo/pitches himself. Why not? ("Hello, I'm Marshall Brodien, a professional magician! Let me show you this...."

Of course, "things" happen when you're taping commercials! Marshall showed us some of the out takes. (I'm still laughing!)

He was "talking to the camera" and demo-ing the Chinese Rice Bowls. He showed the first bowl, and filled it with rice. He reached for bowl #2 which was inverted on the table (still talking to the camera). As he lifted the #2 bowl, the p*****c d**c "stayed" (!) on the table, and a half pint of water spread itself all over the table. Marshall continued his patter, but his right hand "automatically" attempted to scoop the water into the bowl! The patter continued as the camera crew fell on the floor, laughing hilariously!

The magicians present at Jay's followed the camera crew's example. Mercifully, the director cut the tape!

We were returning from one of the national conventions in the early '70s. Marshall, Jay, and I were seated together, and the stewardess came by, for drink orders. Marshall held up three fingers. The girl's pencil was poised and Marshall said, "It's on me, fellas." Jay said "Scotch!". I said, "Me,too!" and Marshall said, "Make it three!"

The Chivas Regal arrived in the little 'airline' bottles, and we were enjoying what Pat Page just called 'whiskey'. It was a long flight, and Marshall kept holding up three fingers, and the stewardess delivered.

My self imposed limit is two. But the bottles kept arriving. When we landed at O'Hare, my pockets were bulging! Marshall retrieved his car, and offered Jay and I a lift back to INC. However, enroute, we had to stop at the restaurant which Marshall jointly owned with a business partner. Marshall announced that "Prime rib is the special tonight". We were hungry.

Brodien drove us back to INC., no longer hungry, (and not thirsty either!).

The honorable Mr B. is a generous man!

I still had pockets full of Chivas Regal bottles! What to do??? Then, I remembered that we were going to Abbott's in a few weeks, and the Duke enjoyed a "wee drop". When I delivered them, Duke's eyes lit up! Karrell Fox told me later that "Dukie really dug the little jugs!"

Thus endeth a few pleasant memories of WHIZZO!

A few other anecdotes must wait. This post is getting (?) a bit long.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-05-05 19:16, jakeg wrote:
Didn't Marshall Brodien have a son-in-law who was a magician in Akron Ohio, named Eddie Sequin?. He performed in a cape and mask. aHe was also a dealer with a limited line. We got together several times in the 70's and I purchased some feather flowers from him.

I think it was spelled SEGUIN. Act was billed as MYSTERIOUS M & ANN DOT.
Yes, he wore a cape and mask He wore a white cape and mask to go with the white tie, white tails, etc.

M may have been Marshall's son in law, but, I don't know that for sure.

I saw him at a Columbus OH Magi Fest in '65 or '66.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ed Swguin was no relation to Horace Marshall who made the feather flowers.. Ed and Dot bought the silk and spring flower business from Horace about 1964. He had the biggest feet of anyone I ever saw. Yes, the Masked Magician and Andott wored Colon and a few other conventions. I heard the act was so bad on a cruise ship that they canned the act and had to wash dishes till they got back into port.

Marshall does have a son, Marshall Jr. who works for one of the Airlines.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » In honor of Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL