The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How Many Hours of Practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dduaine
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of dduaine
Quick question for card-workers; how much do you folks practice on a daily basis? I find that about twice a week, I'll sit down for three or four hours spread out over a day. Then, during the rest of the week, I'll do any where between 30 and 40 minutes of practice.

How about you?

Er, I should have said thirty or forty minutes daily for the rest of the week. Not thirty or forty minutes total for the rest of the week. Heh.

I'm finding my progress with the basics very slow moving. Example, I've been working on the first chapter of RRTCM for the last two months. And still, I don't feel like I'm at a place where I can move on to the next chapter. Maybe I'm expecting too much? Or maybe just not practicing enough? Any ideas?
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
I don't really know because I'll play with my deck of cards whenever I'm watching TV or on the phone. It’s a good idea too, because I don't force myself to practice, it just happens!! Smile
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
I haven't worked with cards much recently, but I do have RRTCM, and one thing I found about me is that I liked to have several moves to practice, so that if I got caught with one, I could switch to something else. It seemed to help exercise several sets of muscles too. So I tackled RRTCM a couple of chapters at a time, not waiting to be perfect with any one chapter.

Also, like funnybusiness I didn't set aside time for practicing. I just kept a deck handy, and played with it when I wasn't really doing anything else.

But that's just me.

Eric.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I practice every day.

I practice for at least 6 hours because I'm always on the computer and I do one-handed sleights.
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
I'm only fourteen but I play with cards whenever I get bored, and I hate being bored! In school I was playing with cards in class and the teacher freaked out and chucked them across the room, but that just shows that cards can (or can't) be practiced ANYWHERE you want! Don't sit down and say "I'm going to practice for 3 hours and do this, and this, and this" because magic shouldn't be practiced, because practice isn't fun. If you’re having fun, it isn't practice PLUS you learn faster if you have fun. Magic is to be perfected, not practiced. If you’re moving slowly through a book of card magic/sleights than it could be that you’re not familiar enough with handling cards.

I hope I've helped you out a little. Peace out.
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I find myself practicing at night before I go to bed. I pick up a pack of cards and mess around for a while and before you know it, hours have passed and I didn't even realize it. Sometimes I stay up half the night because I just can't put the cards down. I hate myself in the morning when I am getting ready for work but I just can't help myself.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
A lot of it depends on how you're feeling and what you're trying to accomplish.

If I'm learning a new effect, I'll practice longer because I'm trying to get a new set of moves down, adjust the patter, etc. If I'm just practicing some slights, etc. I might practice in front of the TV for 10 minutes or so, etc.

The important thing is to have a *meaningful* practice. Make sure it's productive and you're not just spinning your wheels. Smile Also be sure to practice while you're feeling good. It shouldn't be a chore but something you enjoy. Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Smile I might be able to help you become better and progress on your sleights, but I need to know some things first:
How is your handling of the cards right now, how well can you shuffle them or how natural you feel and look with them? Can you do any sleights? Can you do any card routines yet? Are card sleights the only thing that you are practicing right now or you do coins or other sleights as well? Do you have anybody that can help you look at your sleights and tell you if there is anything that you need to focus on? What do you want to accomplish with cards (how good do you want to be)? DO YOU HAVE ANY VIDEOS ON CARDS?!! And, what magicians you admire that you might want to acquire the same level of skill as?
If you answer some of these questions, I might be able to give you some good tips on advancing and being better on your card work. Smile
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
I practice whenever I can. Smile Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I practice everyday! 1-3 hours.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
The key is to do it in short, regular bursts. It's better to work on something for 15 minutes at 4 different times in a day as opposed to 1 hour straight. It makes your work more meaningful while you're practicing as opposed to grueling. I have fun practicing, but much of my practice time involves writing and developing. This is something you'll find later on as you start focusing more on presentation.
In truth, you never stop practicing.

--Daniel
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Not enough.....

If I could practice every day in lots of short bursts, but you know, life, work and the wife attempt to stop me.....

The other day work was quiet so I sat down with a lad (I work with kids) and spent an hour showing him some tricks..... the best practice I have had in days... I was having fun and mastering or perfecting the tricks I know.....

I tend also to practice the same stuff over and over again and when I am bored... I do somthing else I know over and over again.... then when I am really bored I will open the Royal Road or Mark Wilson's book.... find a new trick.... and start to practice that over and over again........

I find it's about practicing a few tricks often rather than practicing lots of tricks a little.

good luck.

Smile
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
I practice around one hour per day doing a little here and there between life's other demands. Some moves and flourishes have taken me a year of practice before I feel comfortable enough to use them in performance.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
Depending on how my day is going and how busy, I'll try to get in at least a half hour every day. Some days, I'll have time to sit and practice for an hour or more. Sometimes it also depends on whether I'm reviewing a slight or developing a new one.
Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Practice for as long as you can whenever you can. There's a poem in an old magic book, can't remember which one, but it goes something like this (I think):

The rules of the manipulator are three, all others are in vain
The first and second are practice
The third is practice again.
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
I never force myself to practice. So unless I feel like it, I don't. Therefore, I can't say how many hours I spend.. as I practice when I'm in the mood. I may go a whole day without it. Maybe more. Not that I don't like to.. but when I want to practice, I can feel it.
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
I know what you mean Chris.
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
20 minutes. Twice a week.

:)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Practice when you want to. Unless you are doing magic professionally, then magic should be for enjoyment. I carry a couple of half dollars and a pack of cards with me all the time, so if the mood takes me I can get some practice in. You can do it pretty much everywhere and you'll get some interesting reactions from passers-by.

David.
wanabe 1
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of wanabe 1
For me as a beginner the Mark Wilson book has been one of the best investments. Within 1/2 hour of reading I could fool my wife with a very basic card move. I felt that I already got my money's worth. That was fun and its real easy to find time to practice when you feel like you are accomplishing something.
MINDS ARE MAGIC
MOVES ARE ENDLESS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How Many Hours of Practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL