The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Card Effect (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"I don't think so. The purpose I had was to find out some effects others like and where to locate them if they spark my interest. This is just a fun topic. It also lets people see the diversity in the field."

Precisely. No harm done. And the fact that whenever these threads happen, many of the same effects are named multiple times, from among the millions of possibilities. That suggests something other than just rampant subjectivity is at work -- like some tricks are better than others.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Favorite to perform or best reaction?

Favorite to perform: Double Back, Quick As A wink or LIT.

Best Reaction: In A Flash
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
One Favorite, I won't call it "The favorite" is Ortiz's Beat the Devil from his book "Scams and Fantasies".

Very entertaining.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
Bro. John Hamman's "Million to One Coincidence"
Later Ya'll

Van
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
Ortiz's "Appointment in Samara". I worked out a different method that doesn't require the wallet and envelope but my plot and presentation is essentially the same. Most dramatic effect I know.
Second most favorite is Bro. Hamman's "Signed Card" -- the way Ammar does it.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 22:35, ApprenticeWizard wrote:
Ortiz's "Appointment in Samara". I worked out a different method that doesn't require the wallet and envelope but my plot and presentation is essentially the same. Most dramatic effect I know.
Second most favorite is Bro. Hamman's "Signed Card" -- the way Ammar does it.

I must agree "Appointment in Samara" is one of the greatest card effect we can do in causal performance.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
To follow up on the "Out Of This World" comments:

George: I learnt the trick in the mid-1970's ... most likely from a Harry Lorayne book. Despite seeing many variations over the years, I still prefer the original routine (with two subtle embellishments).

MuscleMagic: Is Eugene Burger's version impromptu, done with an unprepared deck?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I couldn't narrow it down to one. There are thousands of excellent card effects in the literature and one of my passions is finding them, learning them, and performing them for someone. For the best latest greatest newest card stuff, youve gotta read the books.
I like to hear what people list as their favourites. Its interesting to note which ones come up often, how many are "new" and how many are gems from books that no one else is doing.
I cant tell you my favourite but in keeping with the spirit of this fun thread, I am having loads of fun right now with Koran's Double Out Prediction.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
In my experience, there is a lot of effect I like to perform from a magicians point of view, but of all the effects I performed, the biggest reactions and the most talked about effects from the spectator side is

Card in Ceiling (Ammar)
Cards across (Bill Malone)- two spectators sitting on 10 cards each - 3 cards changes places from one spectator to the other
Black envelope (Bob Kohler) (Card to envelope, however I get it to a sealed envelope in my wallet) Its the method by Bob Kohler that sets this effect apart from other cards to impossible location effects.
Card in Orange/Lemon/Ice Cube
ACR with card ending folded on a paper clip
Any effect with a card changing in the spectators hands (Back in time by Sankey is one option, between the palm by Elmsley another favourite of mine, or a simple two card transpo)

Jan
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 01:07, arthur stead wrote:
To follow up on the "Out Of This World" comments:

George: I learnt the trick in the mid-1970's ... most likely from a Harry Lorayne book. Despite seeing many variations over the years, I still prefer the original routine (with two subtle embellishments).

MuscleMagic: Is Eugene Burger's version impromptu, done with an unprepared deck?

just the regular prep needed, its a unqiue presentation, shorter and I feel even more powerful
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Just Triumph. All versions. Smile
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 09:11, Jesse K wrote:
Just Triumph. All versions. Smile
dani daortiz version for those who can do it is my fav
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Yeah. that's a killer version!
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
You're Signed Card by Brother John Hamman and variations of the routine. Just an amazing concept and blows people away I sometimes use it as an ending to my ACR.

Simple and direct Smile
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
On 2013-05-09 01:07, arthur stead wrote:
[/quote]
Is Eugene Burger's version of Out Of This World impromptu, done with an unprepared deck?
[/quote]

On 2013-05-09 08:53, MuscleMagic wrote:
[/quote]
just the regular prep needed, its a unqiue presentation, shorter and I feel even more powerful
[/quote]

MuscleMagic,

Not having seen Burger's version, it's hard to comment. But if there's any prep needed, then I still prefer the original version, which can be done on the spur of the moment with any deck of cards which has been thoroughly shuffled by the spectator.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Quote:
On 2013-05-06 23:02, Jmolomagic wrote:
I love John G's Mr E Takes a Stroll! It can be found in his amazing book One Degree.

This is indeed a very good book. "Mr. E. Takes A Stroll" is a wonderful effect and really made me thinking. After too many hours studying this effect I developed my version of it. It's totally impromptu, instant reset, can be done FASDIU and every time is different. Sorry I have not used a spectator, but I do not know many people who speak English!!! In fact, my English is terrible, I'm sorry about that too!!!

Give me your thoughts!!! Any advise is welcome. See you!!!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think my favorite card trick that I do is Simon Aronson's "Past, Present, Future."

Because, 1) it gets a very good reaction, 2) there's no way for the spec to reconstruct the method--even if you told the spec how you did it s/he'd look at you like you were a crazy person, and 3) even when you know the method, you probably won't understand what the heck you're doing.
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 09:39, inaciolino wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-06 23:02, Jmolomagic wrote:
I love John G's Mr E Takes a Stroll! It can be found in his amazing book One Degree.

This is indeed a very good book. "Mr. E. Takes A Stroll" is a wonderful effect and really made me thinking. After too many hours studying this effect I developed my version of it. It's totally impromptu, instant reset, can be done FASDIU and every time is different. Sorry I have not used a spectator, but I do not know many people who speak English!!! In fact, my English is terrible, I'm sorry about that too!!!

Give me your thoughts!!! Any advise is welcome. See you!!!

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is that it's a very nice handling. Well done. The bad news is that, for all practical purposes, you re-created Jack Carpenter's routine Mysterious.

My only criticisms are that once you place the black aces above and below the mystery card, don't wait so long to show the transpo. People (like me)forget quickly and thus, there is no effect.
Also, the way you perform the switch-out of the cards at the end of the routine is rushed. Turn the aces face up, leaving the "mystery card" face down for a moment before showing it. There is no drama/tension the way you are doing it now.
Otherwise, nicely done!
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 11:08, bozo wrote:

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is that it's a very nice handling. Well done. The bad news is that, for all practical purposes, you re-created Jack Carpenter's routine Mysterious.

You just make me sad. I really thought I had created a good effect! This reminds me of when I was 10 and thought I discovered a trigonometric relationship, in fact this relationship had been discovered several centuries before. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Stay with GOD. Peace.
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Don't be sad! Great minds think a like!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Card Effect (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL