The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paper Prophecies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr

Paper Prophecies is an ebook in which I teach three prediction effects that I've been having fun with, and I think other magi will get a kick out of them, too. Here's why: the pages in the back of the book are designed so that you can print out and make the props to perform the effects! These are:

• Thaumatrope: A simple toy from the 19th century visibly transforms to reveal the face of a selected playing card.

• 7 Sins: A guest is offered a chance to indulge in one of the seven deadly sins, and it turns out that this opportunity may have been predestined.

• Fortune8: A familiar fortunetelling method — a device known as a "cootie catcher" — provides a surprising glimpse into someone's future.

The digital format is ideal for this. Print the special props with your inkjet or laser printer, add a fold here, a bit of glue there, and you'll be outshining the Delphic Oracle in a jiffy!

"This publication is a total delight. The design is elegant. The methods are clever. The presentations are funny, charming, and even thoughtful. To any magician, I would exclaim, 'You want class? Witness this creation.'" — Robert Neale

The ebook is in PDF format, so it's platform agnostic — you can read it on a PC or a Mac, a laptop or a tablet. (I will say that it looks great on the hi-res screen of an iPad!) Below, I've posted a sneak peek at the Introduction to the book.

Just visit the hidden web store at http://www.davidparr.com/store/ and you'll find it there. It's a quick paypal transaction — only $10 — click a link, and it'll download automagically!

george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Tried to order this but get a message from paypal saying "transaction failed" if ççççççççççççççççççççççççi try again I get a message saying be careful , this transaction may have already completed, contact seller for more information.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Sorry, george1953. Not sure what glitch happened there. The web store has been working fine. I checked with paypal, and the transaction did not go through. So you can give it another try if you'd like. Or contact me via email at david(at)davidparr.com and we can work out another way to send the ebook to you.
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
Paper Prophecies is an awesome throw back to when many of us were kids but in a new modern form! The craftsmen ship of this deceptively simple PDF, all done by David, is beautiful and makes me wish it were an actual hardback but that would take away the coolness of being able to print out more toys to play with and gift to others. Hell, this whole book is a gift to us magicians and we'd be fools not to accept it.
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Easy to order and download for me!

Paper Prophecies is a joy.
A very cool Magic digital publication...I will actually use this.
An impressive PDF...very elegant in design and the magic is great.

I will look forward to Parr's Plastic Prophecies which will utilize a 3D printer Smile
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Just purchased and downloaded...Bravo David!

Very nicely done. As a full-time performer, it is so refreshing to come across quality material like this, to inspire new additions to my repertoire.

Keep it coming--PLEASE! (particularly stand-up material, which seems to be lacking these days)

Thanks again,
Keith Jozsef
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Love the three effects especially the cootie catcher! which is worth the price in itself! However you get two more doable effects.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
It is worth noting, all three of the presentations end with a gift for your participant as well.
Three tight scripts, very well-thought out, I too hope Mr. Parr continues to publish for us.
Cootie Catcher can easily be "altered" to a quite different ending, think of "Amanda's Great Card Trick"
from Pentalogy--
not that anyone here would be so inclined to turn a beautiful gifting routine into a horrific curse,
just an intellectual exercise, for dear friends only, that's all- Smile
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Can I know more about Fortune8? I love these things and would love to hear a bit more about rotuine.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 11:46, MDantes wrote:
Can I know more about Fortune8? I love these things and would love to hear a bit more about rotuine.

Fortune8 begins thusly: "It has been said that there are three questions that hold the key to understanding anyone's personality — just three questions." Someone from the audience is chosen as the subject of this personality reading. He or she is asked three simple questions, and the answers are "entered" into the cootie-catcher device. At the end of this process, it is revealed that if the three questions had been answered differently, the fortunetelling device would have conveyed a grim and inauspicious prediction about the subject's future. Fortunately, the subject has managed to dodge all the bleak possibilities, and instead he or she receives a sunny and life-affirming fortune.

I hope that answers your question, MDantes!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Christian, Eddie, Keith, dennfox, Balaram — thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about this project! Your encouragement is very much appreciated! I do indeed have plans for future digital publications. In fact, during a brainstorming session with Joe Diamond on the flight back from San Francisco, I came up with a title for the next ebook. That will be revealed when the time is right. Sorry, Eddie, it's not Plastic Prophecies, although I'm given to understand that my alt-universe counterpart, Pavid Darr, has published not only Plastic Prophecies but also Formica Prophecies and Naugahyde Prophecies.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 22:44, Balaram wrote:
not that anyone here would be so inclined to turn a beautiful gifting routine into a horrific curse

Bless your devious heart, Balaram.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Indeed the book is very nicely designed. And the printables are great fun.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Had trouble downloading this but contacted David and he sorted it out, like the book very much.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
One more happy customer Smile
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Gordon. It's always nice when folks appreciate the details.

And thank you, too, George and Lin!
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 15:49, David Parr wrote:
... I'm given to understand that my alt-universe counterpart, Pavid Darr, has published not only Plastic Prophecies but also Formica Prophecies and Naugahyde Prophecies.

And I thought I was the only one who read "Gödel, Escher, Bach" from cover to cover...
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On 2013-05-12 02:18, MagisterFreud wrote:
And I thought I was the only one who read "Gödel, Escher, Bach" from cover to cover...

I was in more of a Fringe frame of mind, Magister, but GEB works too. By the way, this sentence is false. Smile
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Highly recommended! All 3 effects are great!

Arthur Stead
http://www.arthurstead.com
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks muchly, Arthur!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paper Prophecies (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL