The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confession - my first written creation on mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Hi friends,

my first eBook on mentalism got released a few hours ago. Please check it out at :

http://www.lybrary.com/confession-the-ul......103.html

I'd like to thank Chris Wasshuber of lybrary.com who made this release a totally hassle-free affair. He's a gentleman in the truest sense, and it was indeed a pleasure dealing with him.

Cheers,

Avik.
Best,

-Avik
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
Hi Avik

Congratulations on your first publication. Do you think you could offer some more specifics about the effect? The write up on Lybrary is a little vague in that the are many effects already in print through which this same outcome can be achieved. I think if you want the community to invest in your manuscript, you might need to either present a video demo or at least explain the unique elements of your effect so that it can be distinguished from what people are already doing.

This might just be my own perception of course so if the orders are flooding in, feel free to ignore me! I wish you every success.
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Hello Andy,

First of all thank you very much for wishing me. If the product description in Lybrary seems vague, the responsibility lies only with me, because it was me who wrote that for the product page. Like you, I also feel that a detailed description is due for the book, at least in this forum. I didn't want to go into much details at Lybrary because that could've resulted in being too detailed, and Lybrary is visited by non-magicians also. However, it should be less likely at the Café. So here you go...

The ebook Confession contains two effects, 1) Confession. 2) TGBH.

1) Confession : This routine is nearly a 720 degrees twist on the well-known effect of finding the liar between two persons hiding some small object between them. This logical puzzle was converted into quite a few mentalism effects like Ring of Truth by Banachek, Truth of the Relic by Rick Maue, and more recently tweaked a bit with more psychological elements embedded in the stunning routine Prevaricator by Patrick Redford. However, my handling and theme of this principle is completely different from the above creations.

I thought of condensing this puzzle into a one-on-one effect with only one spectator. The second thing playing in my head was that this puzzle is not so difficult to figure out, and I have to design my effect in such a way that it‟d be impossible to backtrack entirely through logic.

Confession is an impromptu 1-on-1 routine, devised in such a way that it has got myriads of applications. At the end of the explanation of Confession, I've mentioned some scenarios in which this principle can be applied, but that's not all. You can think and devise more applications of your own.

2) TGBH : The origin of this effect is the marvelous movie “The Great Buck Howard”, starring John Malkovich, Colin Hanks, Emily Blunt, and Ricky Jay. The movie was based on the life of The Amazing Kreskin. Malkovich splendidly played the role of a once-famous-but-now-struggling mentalist Buck Howard.

Like Kreskin, Buck also had his pet signature effect, that is to locate his paycheck at the end of his show, hidden somewhere in the audience. But for close quarters, Buck had another little effect; in a nutshell, the effect goes like this :

You give a spectator something to hold at his fingertips, may be a coin, a pen cap, or may be anything small from his own pocket. You place a folded piece of paper out in the open. You tell the spectator that you will count from 1 to 5, and anywhere he wishes, the spectator is to drop the coin (assuming it is a coin ) from his hand. Supposedly the spectator drops the coin on the count of 3. The folded paper is opened and it is found that a 3 is written on it... Did I mention that the paper is ungaffed ?

Hope the descriptions above will make the two routines a bit more clearer than what's written in Lybrary by me.

Feel free to shoot me any query, and I will be happy to help you.

- Cheers,

Avik.
Best,

-Avik
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Someone advised me to extend some review copies of this first ebook of mine to have the opinions of others (Thanks Kieran !! ). The first 5 people who will PM me with their personal email IDs will get a review copy each. I'd seriously like to have some honest opinion about this first written venture of mine.

- Cheers,

Avik.
Best,

-Avik
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Avik,
You are better off sending to those whom have a depth and breadth of understanding in mentalism.
I would suggest at the minimum sending to the following:
-Greg Arce
-Bob Cassidy
-Mick Ayres
-Richard Osterlind
-Thomas Heine
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks WDavis for the advice. I will contact these brilliant people for reviews.

- Cheers,

Avik
Best,

-Avik
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Hi Avik. I am not looking for method, but how similar is your "confession" routine to Ring of Truth? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to speak in public, as I respect not wanting to expose either effect.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Hi chaz93,

I don't think a PM is needed to reply to your query. Without revealing much, I can tell you this :

The link with Ring of truth is only that I first sat down to think about developing Confession after I saw Banachek explaining his Ring of truth in his PSI Series DVD. In essence Ring of truth is an excellent creation, but has got it's roots in a well known famous logic puzzle, which I'm sure you know about.

Only the premises being similar ( that of reading through the lies of others) there's absolutely no similarity between the methodology of Confession and that of Ring of truth. But the end results of both are same, both routines find out about a hidden object, as well as revealing truths/lies told by the spectator(s). Confession is strictly a 1-on-1 routine (but can be modified as per the performer's wish), and the modus operandi is much simpler than Ring of truth.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask me anything you think you should.

-Avik
Best,

-Avik
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Avik was kind enough to send me a review copy of Confession, so after I have some time to digest it and perform it I will post a more detailed review. This is just my "first impressions" review:

First, this is a short work at only 9 pages. Sometimes that can feel like a ripoff but in this case I think it's perfect. In those nine pages both effects are explained in a straightforward cut-to-the chase style, without unneeded dancing around. I liked that.

Both effects would fall nicely in an "impromptu" or "unprepared" set easily, the only preparation needed taking a mere minute. There are no props to speak of, nor any technical skills needed such as sleights or moves.

Confession: This is a nice variant of the liar/truthteller routine using only one spectator. If you know Ring of Truth you will see a resemblance but it's only superficial. I think it would be a great follow up to Ring of Truth actually, as it seems like it would be a good way to further hide the method. I don't want to say too much about it right now though, having not performed it, but my first impression is that this will be fun. As far as the learning goes, there is a little memory work (and a way around that offered) but this can easily be learnt in a few minutes, playing the effect through in your mind.

TGBH: This one didn't appeal to me as much. Not to say it's a bad effect, I just already have my pet methods for accomplishing the same thing. That said, Avik offers a nice subtlety in this effect which can be used in a couple of ways. Again, I will have to perform this a few times before I can really comment.

Overall, for what is offered I think this is a fairly priced product. I did mention to Avik though that I'm not sure how much some of the more advanced performers will get out of this, aside from another method for the liar/truthteller plot. I think that beginners, or people just making the transition to mentalism can get a good amount of out of it. This isn't to say it's a bad product at all, only that if you've been performing mentalism for some time you likely already have methods to accomplish the effects. I would not have any hesitation about recommending this to someone who was just learning the ropes though.

In the end, it's a new (to me - but to be fair I am not the most well read of us) way of doing a routine I love to do, as well as a bonus effect for 12 dollars. I really don't think you could go wrong here.

Like I said, this is just a first impressions review. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time after taking the effects out and giving them a try.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Great 'first impressions' review and coming from someone whose bread and butter (and cake) comes from psychology, I think it is worth a look.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks a lot Charles for the review. Waiting to hear your on-the-street experience performing these pieces.

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
A very interesting book. Nine pages total, including cover. Some good thinking and decent explanations.

Avik has a clear and easily readable style and, while I suspect English may not be a first language, it doesn’t show from this book; there is no awkward mangling of phrases or misuse of words. A very pleasant read. There are, as noted, two completely different effects, and I’ll look at those separately.

Confession is a gaff-less, genuinely impromptu, “real mindreading” lie-detection effect. Your helper/victim/spectator chooses a small personal object, coin, ring, key-fob, anything that can easily be hidden within her fist. She then decides whether to keep that item in her hand or put it “out of play”, maybe in a back pocket. You then ask her two questions, yes or no, and depending on her answers, you know whether she’s holding the object or not.

This looks very much like an ancient logic puzzle, but based on the possible answers, it would be impossible to know (or to backtrack) using only this information. And this is where the power is. Using a very subtle method, you can tell BY THE WAY she answers, whether or not she is lying.

This would qualify as a psychological principle, and will be extremely reliable for some mentalists. I have a particular mental affliction that may make it less reliable for me personally, but I honestly believe that anyone (even me!) should be able to acquire the knack with a little real world practice.

The included script is interesting and usable as is, or adaptable by anyone. That’s worth something as well.

TGBH, a tribute to The Great Buck Howard is little more up my alley, right out of the box (so to speak). An “almost impromptu” effect, you can set this up in 10 seconds flat using a pen/pencil and a piece of paper (things you, as a mentalist, already have in your pockets, right?)

The helper holds an item at her fingertips. You hold a folded slip of paper. You begin a slow count from 1 to 5, and she drops the object at any time. Whatever number you’re on, when she drops the item, matches the number previously written on the paper.

This does involve a gaff, albeit a simple and innocent looking one, and the end handling takes most of the heat off of it. Also, there is some VERY clever thinking to help make certain that she chooses the right time to drop the object. Even with the required psychological manipulation, I’d call this one a sure thing.

Neither effect uses NW, PK or stooge. Only TGBH uses a gaff at all, which is easily displayed and ditched. It’s pretty much as clean as it gets.

The real question that everyone is too polite to ask: Is it worth the price? Lybrary offers this for $12 US. I’ve paid more for far less value.

While I’m personally not comfortable with the method involved in Confession (this is a rating of my skill level rather than a ding against the effect), I’m going to try this. If nothing else, it will serve as good practice and very probably make me a better performer, and even failure will not reveal the “secret”. That’s worth $12.

The Buck Howard routine is a little more dependable (IMO), and I have already used this twice today with perfect results. I think from a spectator’s perspective, this actually looks “harder” than Confession, and I wouldn’t complain too much about spending $12 for this one either.

Put them together, yes, I think this is a good value.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quick chime in:

My original post regarding the confession effect was a bit mistaken, the "memory work" I spoke of is actually an example of a logic puzzle and not the method itself. The "way to get around that" I posted above is actually the method. In my first reading of it I had missed that part and it wasn't until trying to perform it that I realized my mistake. The actual method is a psychological one as DWRackley says above. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

That said, I still stand by my above review I just wanted to clarify that.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Bulls's eye DWRackley !! You got me there. English is indeed not my first language. However, I believe (as do many other kind reviewers here do), that it probably didn't create any problem in understanding what I tried to explain in the book. Thanks DWRackley for the review..

-Avik
Best,

-Avik
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Just tried Confession real time.......it works.
Nice concept,very simple to use, absolutely impromptu and not at all expensive.
Just kicking myself....why had I not thought of it earlier.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
I also kicked myself quite a few times... before I realised that nobody did think of this before.. so let me dash for it Smile

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I bought it and I like it... it goes straight into the new act I'm creating.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I used Confession last night while out with some friends and it worked just as written. NIcely done Avik
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks Charles. It felt nice that it served you well.

Cheers,

Avik.
Best,

-Avik
Wadonio
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Wadonio
First, I want to say thanks to DWRackley and Chaz93 for fast and informative reviews!

Second, I got a quick question to Avik: Is it possible to do "Confession" in any language or is it dependent on the english language? (My guess is that it can be performed in any language, as english is not you first language, but I just want to have it confirmed).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confession - my first written creation on mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL