The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Email signatures. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you have a cool email address. Nice.

The signature at the bottom is my question. Just curious as I have nothing to do with mine.

Some have pictures some logos phone numbers and a lot of crap. Occasionally on mobile devices it makes it a pain in the hind parts.

Is all that necessary?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Nope. No need for photos and all that stuff. When I do see people who have photos as their email signature (and it's usually real estate agents) the photo does nothing to sell me and adds no value.

I also don't like how people put their email address in their email signature... You're emailing me, I know your email address!!!!

Josh
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9681 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's ego, that's all. I can however see a web site or positioning statement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm not sure it is all ego. There must be theories behind it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
They read in some book that by putting your picture in your email signature will make the recipient subconsciously like you more and put a face to the name or some BS like that.
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9681 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's supposed to make it more personable and so they know/see who they are dealing with. Identifying it as a person.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OH then I hate the idea LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Photos in your email (including the signature) is the fast road to the spam folder via auto-filtering.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 16:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
OH then I hate the idea LOL.

Haha!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is amazing the number of things that are supposed to be "more personal" and keep you "top of mind" that annoy the crap out of me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Are you asking why use a sig in general, or why add all the crap to the sig? Good reason to have a simple sig is to back link to your site. Google likes links from high authority sites related to your business.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously you think I am asking why sign an email? I get that part.

All the superfluous crap is what I am asking about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Got it. Just asking. Extra crap not needed in my op. Too ego centered.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My email signature includes my name, website, email, phone numbers, and a short testimonial. No photo and no logo. I include my contact info, in case they want to call or look at my website, or if my email gets forwarded to another person (group decisions). I want my contact info to be handy for them. I changed my email signature after hearing Kennedy (mentalist from UK) speak on the topic.

If I'm sending an email to a friend, or if I have repeated back and forth emails with certain customers, I often will trim down my signature.

The great thing about an email signature is that you don't have to type it each time, or copy and paste it each time. You simply put it into your email program, and it's always there.

- Donald

P.S. The testimonial I'm currently using in my emails is from a school show, so that helps to cross-promote my other shows to my customers (for example a birthday show Mom might be on the school's PAC committee).
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1057 Posts

Profile of Nash
Yeah photos are sometimes sent as an attachment, which might trip the spam alert.

I have diff. signatures for dif. markets. All have my name, website, e-mail, phone, Facebook, Twitter links.
On top of that I'll have either of the links:

For people in my state I'll mentioned that I've been featured on local t.v. and link to the vid
For wedding couples I'll mention the awards I've won in the wedding industry and press of my featured articles on wedding magazines
For out of state market, I'll just have a video link

I'm also tempted to put a link to my google review page which has 56 reviews Smile
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I don't use a photo - I've got a banner. Ego? Not really- never even thought about that as much as presenting an image. Annoying? Maybe, to some, but others comment positively.

Why do I have it? A good friend had one - loved the effect it presented and we talked about it. Had Ade of Monster Creations create one for me. I'm always getting client emails that have their logos or professional organization images in their sigs, so my feeling was why not.

You can always set your email so the images don't display.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There's nothing on the bottom of mine mainly because the thought never crossed my mind. I have no opinion here I just find it unnecessary.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I seem to remember in days of snail mail a thing called "letterhead". To me the expanded signature on an e-mail is just a substitute for that. For folks in the performing arts, some letterheads were substantial with info across the top, down the left side, and often across the bottom. The one thing today is that you can have several "signatures" for your various markets.

B
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But if that gets confusing and disteacting is it a good thing is the question.

I don't really have a serious opinuon either way and can definitely see either side. More curiosity than anything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
OK, so to the question....no not necessary.

However, in some markets I can see it being helpful in marketing your services. Family market being one of those.

I don't do it at all.

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Email signatures. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL