The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Throwing a card to snuff out a candle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I know that many of the old timers did a lot of card throwing, I have recently seen some world class card scaling, and I was just wondering...

Anyone know of a thrown card snuffing out a candle at 10 feet or some such distance??

I don't know if this would even be interesting to anyone, except for someone who knows how hard it is to throw a card accurately, but I just wonder if it has ever been done?

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I'm going to post something to the banquet room- "card scaling"
Patrick
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Don't know for certain, but Ricky Jay probably does it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'd almost be willing to bet Jeff McBride could snuff the candle with one card and light it with the next.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Yes Riff, and especially if it was "McBrides Candle!" (A pretty nice gimmick)

I am working on lighting a candle remotely, and have started throwing cards with a new purpose - accuracy instead of distance.

I just may snuff one out with a card yet! I am already making progress. I can snuff it out if I throw the whole box of cards at it. (Well actually it knocks it off the table) Smile

But, I will keep trying.

BroDavid
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
So what you're saying is not only do you put the candle out. You put it out cold. Smile
Keep it up, I'm sure you'll suceed. If not, does anyone know a trick that starts out with 52 pickup?
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Magicboy41772
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Magicboy41772
It can be done. You could probably practice a few feet away then work your way farther back. If you throw it fast it will snuff the candle because of the wind the card makes. Let me know if anybody has acomplished it!
Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2002-05-23 20:36, BroDavid wrote:
Anyone know of a thrown card snuffing out a candle at 10 feet or some such distance??
BroDavid

BroDavid, BroDavid, BroDavid....<sigh>
Thanks a million for adding to my maddening disease (card manip.).
I immediately recognized the proposed effect as a personal future obsession. Oh god help me! Hehehe. I can see myself trying.
However! here's my paradox - with my
wickedly amazing luck, I'll get it on the first few tries and spend the next few years trying to achieve the same result! Oh no!
We'll see.

Randy
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I would definitely be entertained if someone did that. There are many ways it could be done but I could really see it as a big theatrical bit.

The performer puts out the candle with the card after a furious montage with music in the back and at the climax *poof* then silence and total dark.

Then the candle would just puff back on and the lights would begin to increase in
intensity from there and another routine
begins. That would be interesting I think.
No need to do the card throwing twice I don't think. People would be like "Did he just do what I think I just saw him do?" Do it twice and I think it might just satisfy the audience. I think it better to leave them
hungry.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
If someone could scale 52 cards at the candle at once, that might put it out. But I guess with one card it depends on the speed and accuracy of the card.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Quote:
On 2002-11-28 15:06, HiveMind wrote:
I would definitely be entertained if someone
did that. There are many ways it could be
done but I could really see it as a big
theatrical bit.

The performer puts out the candle with the
card after a furious montage with music in
the back and at the climax *poof* then
silence and total dark.

Then the candle would just puff back on and the lights would begin to increase in
intensity from there and another routine
begins. That would be interesting I think.
No need to do the card throwing twice I don't
think. People would be like "Did he just do
what I think I just saw him do?" Do it twice
and I think it might just satisfy the
audience, I think it better to leave them
hungry.

My request is, can I ask for permission to use your idea? Please tell me. I love it and want to try it.

Thanks in advance.

Humbly,

Kuffs
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Yes of course. That is why I posted it... to help out.

[Edited by Me]

To clarify, I would never post an idea that
wasn't open for anyone here to use. And I
don't think I would hold anything back
either.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
yeah that is a great idea with the candle and lights going out...good work guys!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I believe Ricky Jay can snuff a candle out by scaling cards, and did so in his off-Broadway show.
He can also slam a card half its length into a watermelon from across the stage.
Thurston used to scale cards from the stage to the second balcony of most theatres.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Anyone seen the carny game where you try to knock over a pin with a bowling ball suspended by a chain from a central overhead point?

Substitute candle for pin and something much less visible for the chain and you could have a combination boomerang card and candle snuffer. Oh, yes, you also have to substitute for the bowling ball or you'll also have a flying candle.

As Jack Armstrong used to say, "Gee, Uncle Jim, it's so crazy that it just might work."

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
And after seeing Rick Smith Jr. throwing for target on Ripleys Believe it or Not, I think he is a sure candidate to accomplish this - if he wanted to.

Next time I see him, I will ask if he would give it a go.

BroDavid
NLewis
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of NLewis
The main "trick" to this effect is simply throwing it fast enough to cut the wick of the candle. The part that burns is what makes the fire (obviously), so you must get right to the source. This does, however, take great accuracy. Now, there are two demonstrations on Youtube. One is called "Master of Business Card Throwing", which has gained over 3,000,000 views. The other is an obscure Japanese master without a name so far as I can tell.

Cheers!

Nicholas Lewis
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
You wouldn't be able to cut the wick unless it was already burned to charr, but I think it may be enough to simply hit the wick, and the combined impact and airflow could put the flame out.

Of course all this is interesting, but it would be much easier to cheat. So long at the audience is none the wiser.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Throwing a card to snuff out a candle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL