The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Please fix the "Long URL" problem. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
More and more when I visit a thread, I have to scroll horizontally to read the posts. On most webpages the text would be corrected to fit the width of the screen and you can read even the longest post by simply scrolling down. Very simple and pleasant.

My understanding is that when someone posts a very long url on the Magic Café there is some problem that causes the Magic Café Forum to be unable to correct the text to fit the width of the screen. This is easily solved by using BB Code but most people don't know they are even causing the problem so how are they going to know to search for a solution?

Yes the Mods will fix the thread if alerted but that is not a good solution. When I get to the thread I am interested in what is written. I'm probably going to go ahead and do the sideways scrolling needed to read it even though it is a pain and slows things down. I am probably not going to want to report the problem and come back later. I might never visit that thread again.

If my understanding of the problem is correct (It is based on several conversations with the mods) there HAS to be a solution. It's just coding, right? If nothing else just don't permit url over a certain length without BB code. People will quickly learn to add the few extra characters needed to prevent the problem.

I sometimes think that I am the only one bothered by this but I think it is more likely that a lot of people are bothered by it but they don't understand what is going on and what causes it so they just do the sideways scrolling needed.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Magic Mike;
Thanks for bringing this up and explaining what causes the problem. I have encountered this several times and couldn't figure out whar was happening. The problem isn't fixed, but at least I now know what is causing the problem. Thanks

Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I was SURE I couldn't be the only one who was bugged by this. Thanks for your input.

Moderators, why is it that even if I put a check in "disable BBcode in this post", I still can't post the code people need to use to fix this issue? I tried and the code is invisible in the post.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5153 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The easiest way to show members how to use BBcode is to link to the FAQ section which I've done here. This explains how to use the code.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php#bbcode
Where the magic begins
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Right, but I would still think the "disable BBcode" checkbox should disable BBcode.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Please fix the "Long URL" problem. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL