The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making money as a close up worker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snm
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of snm
Hey guys,

I'd love to ask you a quick question. How does one make money as a close up worker without doing walkaround or strolling?

I've worked as a stage performer for a good while. However, my true love as always been close up card magic.

I hate approaching other people though and am much more comfortable with them coming to my space.

So, my question is, how does one go about booking gigs where there are coming over to your table?

How do you work like this? Venues, etc?

Thanks so much for any guidance and advice you guys can share!

Wishing you all the best,

-Travis
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
So you want to do card tricks, but don't want to approach people? Guess trade shows are out. Also hospitality suites. Very rarely can a card magician set up his table, spread his cards and hope for people passing by to stop and ask "hey, can you show me a card trick?!"

If you figure it out, let me know.

Josh
Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do my formal close up show for 200 people.

First thing you need is a formal close up show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Although it's true that I've had very few requests for a come-to-me type of performance but here are somethings to think about.

Eugene Burger worked restaurants for years under the following arrangement: As the host would seat guests they would give the guests the option of a personal performance from the "fabulous house magician" and if they requested, they would set an extra chair out and Eugene would give a formal tableside performance.

Eric Mead wrote in Art of Astonishment about a intimate close-up theatre he produced. He offered tickets to a show where guests would arrive and all be seated at a table. Think of it as an even more intimate version of Steve Cohen's "Chamber Magic," which also bears some consideration.

If you pursue a heads/hands up style of performance (the magic happens at chest/eye level rather than at waste level) then you will open up many venues. If you're serious about pursuing this direction heads/hands up is a must. Then you can play to 10 or 100 or more. I frequently perform at very small events (15-30 guests) and I always give a formal close-up performance since, at an event of this size, it's inevitable that you'll have everyone watching within a few minutes anyway - might as well plan for it.

I hope this gives you a few places to start.
snm
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of snm
Thanks for the tips guys,

Danny may I ask how you make close up material play for 200 people? I'm guessing you use a projector or some kind of screen?

From even 15 feet away it's hard to tell the value of a playing card for example.

-Travis
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1087 Posts

Profile of Nash
You can do close-up magic on stage if your persona and energy projects to the crowd.
ex. take a look at some of the work from Derek Hughes
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 20:45, snm wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys,

Danny may I ask how you make close up material play for 200 people? I'm guessing you use a projector or some kind of screen?

From even 15 feet away it's hard to tell the value of a playing card for example.

-Travis

It is all in the seating. Yea a camera helps but is not necessary. Being up on a stage won't work. You need to be down with tiered seating. Ricky Jay did it and it worked perfectly with no screens. It is more about talking to the audience and not the people on the table with you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Michael Carducci,

How do you get your information about your shows out to the public?

Marqus
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I don't normally host events, if that's what you're asking. Virtually all the performances I give are at other people's events.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but in order to book the events I perform at, I do a lot of direct marketing but also supplement that with good SEO, good online reviews, a social strategy, and I use a lot of technology to help me build and maintain relationships with past clients and many people I meet at performances.

If you're looking at marketing a performance that you're hosting (four walling etc) there are many folks here who are far more qualified than I to give advice.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
4 walling is a tough thing. No two ways about it. I do not recomend it.

There is an easy way to make a small fortune 4 walling.

Step one start with a large fortune.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 11:06, Dannydoyle wrote:
There is an easy way to make a small fortune 4 walling.

Step one start with a large fortune.

Oh great, I just spit coffee all over my computer!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Step two wipe off the coffee from your computer screen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
@ Danny.... LIKE
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
My advie would be is to learn and work out the problem you might have talking to people while breaking the ice. Being able to walk around is an advantage.

However I book privet parties and I don't walk around. I have them make one room in the house or venue a magic room (Home) or a magic area. Then I do magic at that location for the agreed upon time. Don Alan did not walk around. Jack Pyle did not walk around.

The host of the party or event sends people in and once word gets around at the party and they are talking about the magic (and me) I often have the room filled with people for the agreed upon time. This way of doing close up makes the performer a destination rather than an interuption.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making money as a close up worker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL