The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My pet spider Boris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1696 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Well well THIS was the surprise hit of a recent informal gig I did!

The squeals were always followed by gales of laughter, and then the "victim" invariably demanded that I perform it on her friend! People were following me around seeing it again and again and loving it. Of course, on the second or third viewing people realise what is going on magically, but it does not diminish their enjoyment.

I have read criticisms of this and Jim Paces The Web. I probably would not do it at a formal gig. But for parties? Every time!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The wise performer knows his audience. Sounds like you do.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
It is definitely a winner.
I love it.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have used this non stop since I got it, fantastic advice.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1696 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Funny isn't it? We spend ages practising sleight of hand and spend a fortune on books, DVDs and props, yet the biggest hit turns out to be a two-quid app with a plastic spider!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
When I got this years ago I used it at every gig.
However..one day I had two spectators seated at the next table
scream knocking over their drinks
as well as having the server get startled & dropping her order.
IHM you really need to know your surroundings more than your audience.
I currently have it with me at gigs but use in sparingly.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 04:57, ross welford wrote:
Funny isn't it? We spend ages practising sleight of hand and spend a fortune on books, DVDs and props, yet the biggest hit turns out to be a two-quid app with a plastic spider!

So true. I say often you never know what will excite Punters.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Making Spider:

Cut ring off of Spider Ring and add Black Pom Pom?

Poster Putty or DS tape to make it stick?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
723 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
What makes this better than the original is that you can abort if you have to. If you get someone who really has a phobia, they will freeze, look away the just freak at the first electronic sight leaving you time to remove the creature and not finish the effect. Most of the time, it will go great and you may NEVER have to abort this but be prepared if you do have to.

Jamie Salinas
Jamie Salinas
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great idea Jamie, if you see that they react badly to the animation abort, another why didn't I think of that momento.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
723 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I have only had to do this once with this version. Years ago I stopped doing the web as I did it for someone who ended up having a true phobia of spiders. I never did the trick again after that but this version will allow you to stop if you see this is a problem. Most people who perform this will never encounter this situation but be prepared in case you do.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I performed it once at a Halloween party....it plays nice BUT I prefer to not take that
Risk in a regular gig !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
This does play well but like all the other experianced performs have said know you spectator.... just another idea I sometimes put the spider on the specs shoulder this way everyone can see the spider apart from that person and just by stareing at the specs shoulder they will notice it :-} or a friend will ask them what is that?
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
I performed this once for my girlfriend. She totally freaked by seeing the spider on the screen (never knew she was afraid of spiders). Still think this is a really great trick, but a butterfly is better in my opinion.
birdman69
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
103 Posts

Profile of birdman69
@Ross Welford: This is the reaction we are after. If you perform to a group of three or more, then there is a inbuilt support group for the spectator. She and some of the others will get a quick shot of adrenaline at the end of the effect which is quickly converted to a happy high once the joke/prank is realised. And it does take a while for them to come down off it. I very rarely perform to a single spectator as it can create a different dynamic.

@JamieSalinas & George 1953: That's exactly right, you can abort as soon as the spider comes on screen if you see that they are pulling away, curling their hand or not able to look at the screen. There is a section on this in the video instructions at http://www.mypetboris.com/inst2099.htm
I'm surprised out of the 3000 downloads only around 900 have viewed the video instructions. There are a lot of good tips in there, e.g. how to load the spider without getting caught, sticking the spider on the back of the phone beforehand, startup screens, advanced timing, recognizing phobic spectators, how to control the spectators hand so they don't throw it across the room. There is also a lot more information and routine information under the video on the same page.

@Gleemax17: I've just added a butterfly pack to our website store: http://www.mypetboris.com/store.htm
These are custom made butterflies created from a photo of the actual butterfly used in the animation. They have PVC wings with skin tone on the bottom side so they don't flash during loading. The body of the butterfly is black plastic and the pack contains a small disk magnet to put on the back of your phone and a tiny rod magnet and sheets of green foil to create the egg used in the routine. These can be stuck to your business card and gifted to the spectator at the end of the effect.
The butterflies can be used as a fridge magnet so they will probably keep it as a memento. There is also a bulk pack of 20 butterflies for the professional magician so they are cheap enough to give away.

Cheers Ian
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
173 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
It's for me not a trick, but just a gig. I love it! Even the people likes it even when they freaked out! Of course they love to see somebody else freaked out too!

My second app for my Iphone and it's defenly a great app and is every cent worht!
(I couldn't say from my first app: Render-Sean Scott!)
birdman69
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
103 Posts

Profile of birdman69
The Butterfly effect is now available as an in-app Purchase within the Magic Spider App for Android. If you haven't already done so, UPDATE your Android app to V 1.7.2 and then you will be able to purchase the butterfly effect. Cost for the Butterfly In-App is $2.99

Butterflies, magnets, foil and adhesive dots are available from our website store: http://www.mypetboris.com/store.htm or your local magic shop.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2013-11-25 11:20, birdman69 wrote:
The Butterfly effect is now available as an in-app Purchase within the Magic Spider App for Android. If you haven't already done so, UPDATE your Android app to V 1.7.2 and then you will be able to purchase the butterfly effect. Cost for the Butterfly In-App is $2.99

Butterflies, magnets, foil and adhesive dots are available from our website store: http://www.mypetboris.com/store.htm or your local magic shop.

Thanks for the update Ian!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I bought it but don't use it for my normal walk-around gigs. The rare occasions that I have used it are for people I know or for restaurant guests who I see almost every week. I've established an ongoing relationship with them and if they get ****ed off about having the snot scared out of them, then I'm still good because we're friends already. I'd never do this to a complete stranger during a paid gig.

I use the peel and stick dots from Hobby Lobby and a plastic spider from a bag of plastic insects from the dollar store. It works on most guys as well as the ladies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My pet spider Boris (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL