The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » ****Look at this website**** (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I could really use some advice on how to improve my website.
Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.dlcmagic.com/
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
The first thing I noticed was that the pix are all about YOU. If I am a potential client I want to know how you will help ME.

The second thing is your bio. Who cares what school you went to. I want to see previous clients in the bio, not a life story. Not client oriented site more a "me oriented" thing.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
579 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
What awards have you won? Typically when magicians write "award winning" they're just making things up, or it's some obscure hobbyist magic club thing that doesn't actually mean anything. If you've won legitimate awards state what they are.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is.there any such thing as a legitimate magic award?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22823 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Under meet the magician, you state your a musician, why, are you selling some kind of music entertainment if not don't mention it as it only confuses the original intent of what you are selling.

This is not a resume, and what does going to Berklee college have anything to do with performing a good magic show. Did you take acting or stage classes, did you get a degree in performance art. If not why mention it.

Yes, as mentioned you need some pictures of your audiences, sort of says you have been doing magic shows. Take someone with you to do a lot of picture taking of your audiences, and when any spectators is up on stage with you. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Then work on getting some video as well of your show, again, not so much as you, but get someone on stage to take video of your audiences laughing and enjoying what you are doing.

You have good color, and a nice set up for your site. I would say it is better then most. You just have to give a little more sales information. Action words would look nice as well, in large fonts creating excitement for the reader.

Also who are you currently serving, are you prepared to travel wherever a client want to hire you. Every page should answer the Who, What, Where, and How questions in sales. As in - Who are you, Who do you perform for. What do you do, what do you bring to the client for hiring you. Where are you, and where will you go. Where can they contact you.

I clicked on DLC logo and it took me to News and Updates, it should have taken me to a home page.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think a lot of people have said good things about the content of the site. I would like to mention a few things on the structure of the site itself:

The site is not mobile friendly, and looks a little old fashion. Plus, the way the site is written is not visually or psychologically pleasing. The home page looks completely different than the main bulk of the site, and there is an insane amount of dead space throughout the site (big purple abyss).

I would find a way to switch over to a blogging service such as Wordpress or Joomla. You don't need to have it set up as a blog, it simply is a great tool to make a dynamic looking website without needing to know CSS. It helps to know some HTML coding, but no need to worry as its easy to find tutorials or to outsource someone to do that for you (if you don't know where to start, simply find someone to do it for you).

I would get rid of the FAQ. If we examine the first one: "Is magic only for children?", to me, indicates that if you didn't do a good job selling adult oriented services in the rest of the site, then you should go back and enhance it to make it obvious that adults would enjoy your entertainment as well. Also, get rid of the SAM logo, no one knows what it is and buyers won't investigate it just to see if it will add to your credibility.

The main good thing I think you did with it is having big bullet points and headlines as those are the ones most often read. However, I would use that to your advantage by going back and making sure those headlines truly reflect what you can offer. You've got some great headshots, and a video of you on the news. I would put that video up front on your site instead of having to dig for it.

Good luck!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2612 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I was confused as to who the "We" was.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 07:57, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Under meet the magician, you state your a musician, why, are you selling some kind of music entertainment if not don't mention it as it only confuses the original intent of what you are selling.

This is not a resume, and what does going to Berklee college have anything to do with performing a good magic show. Did you take acting or stage classes, did you get a degree in performance art. If not why mention it.

I disagree with the above critique. I personally like your "Meet the Magician" section. Letting someone feel like they know a bit more about you makes you more interesting, in my opinion. I do agree that if your degree is in performing arts that it should be included as well. I also would keep the SAM membership logo. The potential client does not need to know exactly what it is, but still see you are involved with professional organizations.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 09:08, charliecheckers wrote:
The potential client does not need to know exactly what it is, but still see you are involved with professional organizations.

If they don't know what it is, how do they know it is a professional organization?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMM...

For
"Meet the magician,"
How about meet David Lawrence ?
Or

Meet David

Maybe a different photo on the home page.

Best wishes...
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10128 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
To me this allows you to qualify to say " I have a web site", but it isn't really an effective web site. It is an example of a site designed from the performer's perspective not that of the consumer or potential client. No benefits, solutions, nothing separating you from the pack, no USP, no positioning or call to action. Also seems like a older template or site format. It says little and makes you have to click thru to even find basic information.

I think it's a fine starting point for an online presence, but needs work to be effective.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Agreed with Mindpro and others opinions above. The site is rather "magician" focused. Also, on the home page there is a ton of real estate that is left empty and blank and does nothing but hurt your mobile viewers experience. Check out this article from Copyblogger and responsive web design: http://www.copyblogger.com/mobile-responsive-seo/

When you have that much extra space on the sides of the content it makes your content squished and it feels like there is no "breathing room" for the viewer. Add a little white space.

What is the "News and Updates" page supposed to do for the viewer? You just tell them to go to your gallery and list 3 standard goals that are not groundbreaking or innovative and every magician uses.

Your copyright is out of date and makes you look out of date as well. I'd fix that. And what's the point of the "Site Info" page? Does nothing for the visitor.

Josh
Josh
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
It's worth posting again: http://noelqualter.com/magician-articles......-advice/
ADe
Greensboro
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Greensboro
If you are selling "you", then your website needs to show me more about you. You need video. Not necessarily a performance video, but a single shot of you talking to the camera, telling us about what you do. That's going to tell me whether you are an effective communicator, and whether you have a personality that I want to put on display at my event. As others have said, yours is a performer focused website. If that's the case, you've got to a lot more to sell "you."
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-17 09:24, Greensboro wrote:
If you are selling "you", then your website needs to show me more about you. You need video. Not necessarily a performance video, but a single shot of you talking to the camera, telling us about what you do. That's going to tell me whether you are an effective communicator, and whether you have a personality that I want to put on display at my event. As others have said, yours is a performer focused website. If that's the case, you've got to a lot more to sell "you."

Completely and 100& Disagree!

The job of a website is not to sell yourself, the job of a website is for a producer to raise their hand and want to contact you. The focus of the website should be on how you bring value to the event.

The site is already (as most magician websites) about the magician. Who cares? We all got a magic kit at 5 or 10 years old, we've all won a silly IBM Ring competition. Talent buyers want to know what your able to do to make all their pain and worry disappear. They want to know that you won't make them look stupid for hiring you.

As entertainers we are a solution to the problem for people who hire us. Find out the real reason people hire you and the web copy will write itself.

Before someone gets upset, let me convey that it is important to have video of what you do to show producers that you are good. But even the Bio page should be how you help event planners and not so much that you have been in SAM or IBM for 20 years.

Josh
Josh
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
JoshLondonMagic

HMM
I am on the fence with your last comments. I see a few aspect, but have different view points.

I think a website should be a form of enhance advertising and should catch the attention of the view in one way or the other in our industry.
Also, if you create a likable character/personality - now you are selling YOU and not a magician! Meaning they can only get ONE OF YOU.
Yes, I agree a website should inform the client the type of services and reflect your skills. I once had 10 funny things that happened to Curtis during a show. I had lots of feed back on that section. Client would tell me they enjoyed reading it and forward it to their friends. People like the since of being behind the scenes.

To us IBM, SAM and how we got started my be a broken wand (record -lol) however to a buyer, it is NOT. All awards have their side of BS. Look at the big boys - BMW, BENZ, BANKS, MAJOR STORES they all like announcing they have an award for such and such.
Your past accomplishments are great way to show your commitment and envelopment in your industry.

I think dlcmagic is heading in that direction, but he needs a lot of work on the site. But we all must start somewhere.

Just my thoughts for today Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10128 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think it's odd that we haven't heard from him since his original posts. Perhaps he doesn't appreciate the feedback he's been offered?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 11:45, Mindpro wrote:
I think it's odd that we haven't heard from him since his original posts. Perhaps he doesn't appreciate the feedback he's been offered?

Or he is super busy, or he doesn't live on the Café like a few of us! lol

:)
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

I understand your position Curtis and admire what you've done with your brand. However, the website that was submitted for review and the vast majority of magicians working today are not trying to build a brand or image and be a star. I am a simple birthday party and corporate entertainer as most of us are. I think the brand and image building has its place, but in this context not for a family performer.
Josh
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Agreed!
And thank you Josh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » ****Look at this website**** (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL