The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Show Cues or Ultimate Control (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of gothike
OneTrack also has a near 5 star average rating and glowing reviews from many professional performers. Some are also big names in magic.

OneTrack meets the needs of 95% of all magicians. Now OneTrack can increase its price to $90 and spend the extra cash on marketing and putting an ad on Magic Magazine but the decision was made to offer the App to the benefit of the community for $5.00.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
748 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Powermagic, what makes Show Cues much better is all the additional features, cue sheets, individual track settings, so many options on how you can play your music. We also have a special remote control made by iJet exclusively for Show Cues, with programable buttons and magnetic switch coming soon. You can read about a lot of them on the website and facebook page as well as read the reviews as well as 5 star ratings on iTunes. Pro's don't just spend money on anything, they spend money on the best products for their shows. Look at the biggest names in magic around the world listed on our reviews page and read what they had to say or ask them. There are a lot more names to add but I have not yet updated that page, its coming soon. We are adding new features almost monthly and put in countless hours of work on the App every week. Show Cues costs more because we priced it at what it is worth and many of our customers tell us its still priced too low. You can send me a personal email if you have any other questions or would like to call me for further information. I think you will find most of your answers on our website and in the reviews. Thanks, Carl
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Oh I am sorry to disagree with you. Pros can be so inclined to spend money on the lastest and greatest without weighing the options. But that is just my opinion. you are welcomed to your own.

But Slow down there Carl. You are only DEFENDING your product you are not SELLING your product.

I asked for a feature comparison. Yes in hind site YOU are NOT the one to ask since you are to married to your product.

I would need to have an unbiased review of both, side by side.
Hey sometimes features are just icing or not needed or will be used. I do not like magnet switches so for me that is not going to sell me. Nice you are thinking but really they are a hassle if ou are used to holding legs together when presenting,

As far as I just watched at a link that was provided. the One track also has invidual track settings. I wanted the guy set start and end points of a track with the option to find in and out and the option to auto play to the next track in the sequence. Pretty impressive for $5.

I do not like the buyijet small remotes. They did not work for me. I do use the Nav Pro as it has a better range. For some reason the one Mike likes does not work in my area. I have tried many on that 400 Mhz bandwidth and something makes their response random. The Nav pro is great as I can mount in pocket and have full control. I do not own a touch iphone so have been limited in my show use. I added silent tracks and custom edit music so fade is not a major issue. Would be nice and it seems the $5 app should do it.

As I said, in this topic list you really have not explained the features, rather get your back hair raised and come charging out with guns blazing. For instance, I have no idea what a cue sheet is or why I should need it.

Honestly . anything that involves the screen is ridiculous. If you do not know our show and the song order by the time you are presenting, what good would it do you to see info on a small screen like an iphone? Are you really going to walk over and read your screen? The only need for it is if your remote is non responsive. But then it is not a good remote if you are not positive your tracks will advance when you need it. It is very distracting if the magician has to look over to the side and try to figure something out. Maybe I have missed the crucial need for such things but I have performed for a long time and if a trick screws up or breaks just prior, go to the next piece in the program, No screen will save you. I liked that Onetrack you could order tracks on the fly. So I guess if you are not solo, if the assistant saw the bird died, maybe could remove the track if need be but seriously, such things are so rare....

Carl, don't take it personal, I beg you. I thought the same when they came out with blinking LED and then a screen with big number on it.

I think you have to take a breath and try to SELL your product not defend it. I could care less if a NAME gives you a quote of praise. I am friends with many top names and know they are just people, and while they might not agree, I must say no smarter than the rest of us.

Look Carl, here is how I suggest you approach it. Don't take it so personal and try to win new customers by treating it like any other major business would.
Think of how site and corps present pros of their products and explain key features the competition do not have.

Sorry but this is the free market. I am researching new stilts. I have contacted a few with new innovative designs and they explain why they feel they have the better product. If I questioned some of the statement they made, they both went in to more detail and did not focus on past sales. For instance one of these had a hard rubber sole and I inquired upon the safety in grass and on polished floors. At first he tells me their stilts were used in the Disney John Carter movie IN SAND. I remarked how that is far different than a waxed store floor and that on one web site someone brought out the foot does not grip like it looks like it should.
he then admits they have a new design on the drawing board but could take 2 years. My point being, we had a good conversation and he did not get defensive but explained why he thought their design is safe on most dry surfaces.

I am not attacking you, you have pride and put work in. Honestly I am not an apple fan and would rather have Android apps like this. I am forced into the App-hole world because I want music control.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
748 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Powermagic, I told you some of the features and sent you to where you could learn about more Show Cues. The magnetic switch I do not use on my ankles, it is on my pocket and I just tap my pocket to start and fade music. The screen features show up very well on the iPad and on the iPhone or Touch they are very important for when a sound tech may be running your music or as some of the acts use the App, and I have myself, keep the iPhone in a case or on the table so you do see the screen. Anyway there is a lot more to it than I have time to post. I am not trying to defend or sell you the product, you asked about differences and I gave you a few and mentioned where you could get more info as well as unbiased reviews. As a last note, Show Cue will soon have a version for the Android.

All the best,
Carl
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Just to get back to the original question...i have both Ultimate Control and ShowCues. Here is what I like and dislike about both.

Ultimate Control is all self contained so I don't have to use my iphone or ipad. These gadgets have a lot of my personal stuff on them and always worry about them being stolen. The screen on the UC is small and all it shows are the track numbers with a color background. I find that I cannot read this display from any distance at my age. In order to get the music on you have to connect to a PC and drag and drop. Not too hard but you have to have the music in an MP3 format which can be a pain. Creating and editing the playlist can be tedeous and long to do if you are using many tracks. The remote is great! Big buttons well spaced out that have a good feel. I never fumble with this remote.

ShowCues uses all he great stuff of itunes in order to make track selection and ordering VERY easy. Getting songs from a cd is as easy as dragging them on the itunes icon on your PC. If you use an ipad you have a nice big screen that is well designed and makes reading at a distance easy. Individual track volumes are easy to set. The BIG drawback from SC is the remote. These remotes are cheap, the buttons are too close together and have little feel to them. Pushing the wrong button or two at a time happens too often for me and sometimes the command does not go through.

The UC I also find is too expensive given the new technologies that are coming out such as SC. If you already have an ipad the choice is easy based on price alone.

So on more forma, well rehearsed shows where the tracks will not change and I don't need to look at the screen I use the UC because of the dependability of the remote. For smaller shows where tracks can get changed I use the SC because of he screen size.

Hope this helps someone.
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Powermagic,

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about ShowCues, so why come on the thread and attack Carl's excellent app. You say you know your show, so a screen is pointless, but then you say you want to change in and out points, and link tracks together? If your show remains the same, this is easily done with editing software and loaded into a playlist prior to performance. My show can be fluid. Something may happen outwith my control, and I have to skip a portion of my performance or cut a show short. A screen makes it simple to skip forward tracks on the fly and see exactly where you are, what's cued ready to go, and what's coming up next. So if the 'bird died' you can skip it and continue.... Who needs an assistant??

Also you say you have no idea what a cue sheet is?? Seriously? I find it hard to believe that a working pro with music in their act has never heard of a cue sheet?? So a theatre sound man automatically knows your act when you walk thru the door??

Finally, Carl can defend his product all he wants. It's his baby, and he should be proud because it's awesome, and gets better with every update. To me it's worth every penny I paid for it!

Gary
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of gothike
GaryDunn,

The person your defending is a big boy and can depend himself.

Powermagic is entitled to HIS opinion and it's also justifiable and he does have some points. Though he may not have the same tastes and may not share your fetish of having a monkey stick a banana up your nose.

Also many pro don't use CueSheets. Many theaters have XLR inputs (snakes) near the stage. A direct box to XLR would do the trick. It's always best to control your own sound rather than have some random guy mess your cues. The sound guy in general should only be used to adjust individual levels especially if you have no experience with the person.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I went the cheap route at first and tried OneTrack; it may meet 95% of my needs but ShowCues meets 100%. The price between the 2 apps is not important to me. What is important is providing my clients and audiences a great show and ShowCues has aided in that.

However, I can't offer any advice about Ultimate Control as I've never used it.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3949 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 08:13, M Sini wrote:
I went the cheap route at first and tried OneTrack; it may meet 95% of my needs but ShowCues meets 100%. The price between the 2 apps is not important to me. What is important is providing my clients and audiences a great show and ShowCues has aided in that.

However, I can't offer any advice about Ultimate Control as I've never used it.

In short: same experience, same opinion. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of gothike
M Sini,

Curious, what feature is not present in OneTrack to meet 100% satisfaction.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Cue sheets seem to be a big difference for some people. I, personally, don't need cue sheets because I have run my own music by remote control for years. I don't work in many formal theaters and, even if I did, I would still prefer to run my music myself. (As gothike described, I use a direct box to connect into one of the mic lines on stage.) For those that do work in formal theaters regularly and do have to provide cue sheets, I could see where Show Cues would be a great way to go.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of gothike
Michael,

A Beta version of OneTrack has CueSheets which has been in development for the past 6 months. Not sure when it will be released.

It is best to go with the Direct Box (DI Box) though. I like personally keeping my laptop as close as possible. In case anyone is interested this is the DI box I use:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/316739.html

It converts stereo into mono, it's passive (no battery needed). I can connect an iPhone, iPad, computer, via RCA cable and it converts the signal properly to microphone signal.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Here's the AV Direct Box that I've been using for a couple of years. http://www.fullcompass.com/product/341555.html It's almost half the price and it works great.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 17:13, gothike wrote:
M Sini,

Michael's response about the cue sheets is spot on why I prefer ShowCues. It's almost like he read my mind...(or maybe we exchanged PM's) Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh my, we are getting complicated, so what speakers are added to this mix? Got any references?

iPod Touch, Remote, DI Box! So what else is needed to get some sound to the audience?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Bill, I use a Mackie 402 -VLZ3 Mixer ...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ3/

.... and a Mackie SRM350 self-powerted speaker:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRM350v2/

Michael Messing recently posted about a Behringer Mixer, which is very similar to the Mackie, on sale for half price.

Arthur Stead
http://www.arthurstead.com
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-24 14:35, M Sini wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 17:13, gothike wrote:
M Sini,

Michael's response about the cue sheets is spot on why I prefer ShowCues. It's almost like he read my mind...(or maybe we exchanged PM's) Smile

LOL! Yes, we did discuss this but it also become apparent that several other people really like that feature.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Is OneTrack still alive and being updated for free? Or is it obsolete now and been replaced with something new?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

OneTrack was last updated on Jan. 23 so it's still being kept up to date. Definitely not obsolete.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Spent most of the day checking out onetrack and setting up my playlists.

I have an mp3tech, but am planning to use this for backup.

I see that OneTrack has cue sheets now. So… are there other big differences between this and show cues?
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Show Cues or Ultimate Control (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL