The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jack Carpenter's Blindspot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Rich Aviles performing Jack Carpenter's Blindspot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4uZFP3p8Y&feature=youtu.be

Comes out tomorrow, May 17th: http://www.trcky.com
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
Can't wait!! Anything by Jack Carpenter is GOLD!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Very nice, any ideas on how difficult this is, or is not ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The clip says the roots of Blindspot is Dai Vernon's Matching The Cards, a trick so strong that Nate Leipzig included it in his act ( it became known as Leipzig's Opener ).

Rich Aviles is an amazing card technician and teacher in his own right. The clip says 2 routines with 3 alternate endings are taught.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey George,

Great question. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just started working with cards but it's actually a lot easier to perform than it looks. And the teaching isn't just a quick overview, it's a detailed look at the techniques involved.

The download runs a little over 40 minutes, and includes a few things that are not in the trailer. You'll learn the routine as you see it in the trailer (this is an updated version of Blindspot that Jack and I put together called "Target Practice"), along with Jack's original handling, and three alternate endings; imagine doing the trick as in the trailer and then making the Aces instantly change back into the Kings! Things like that.

Hope this helps with your decision. It's a great trick!

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Smile

Rich Aviles
http://trcky.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Leipzig may have used Matching the Cards in his act, I'm not sure, but Leipzig's Opener and Matching the Cards are not the same effect, not even similar.

There is also a version of Matching the Cards in the Vernon Chronicles (Vol. 1, book and video) called A Match Made in Cincinnati.
WorstKnight
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WorstKnight
Looks cool. How much will it be?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 23:56, Ray Haining wrote:
Leipzig may have used Matching the Cards in his act, I'm not sure, but Leipzig's Opener and Matching the Cards are not the same effect, not even similar.

There is also a version of Matching the Cards in the Vernon Chronicles (Vol. 1, book and video) called A Match Made in Cincinnati.

I had to get out my Stars Of Magic Booklet. You're right, Leipzig's Opener is different ( John Carney does it beautifully ). I went through my notebooks trying to see why I thought this. On the Johnny Thompson L&L vhs ( now on dvd ) it references Matching The Cards as Leipzig's Opener.

Good catch!
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
WorstKnight, the price is just... five bucks. Smile

It hasn't been openly announced yet (well, NOW it has) but you can find more info and a buy button here: http://www.trcky.com/blindspot.html

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Rich Aviles
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Order placed and instantly available!

I know what I'm doing tonight. Brand new pack of Mandolins opened and ready.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
This is very easy to perform. Having done Matching The Cards for years, I like having a shorter a shorter version that doesn't lose any of the impact.

It's not a flourish having the cards change. There's a moment when they see the selected card doesn't match the 3 cards that you magically cut to. In the moment, the cards change. When they look up, the kings have changed to the aces ( or whatever cards you use ).

Rich Aviles is an excellent teacher. I like him.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I was fortunate to be taught the original handling by Jack. This is beautiful, visual card work, that really hits em between the eyes.

Highly recommended!

John
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I'm not saying one is better than the other, but in Matching the Cards, when the original selection is turned over, it appears the magician has made a mistake. The three cards that were cut to and were of the same value don't match the chosen card. The magician rectifies this by passing the chosen card over the other cards, which, when turned face up, now match the chosen card.

In a Match Made in Cincinnati (Vernon Chronicles, Vol. 1), in the beginning, the cards are spread on the table and the spectator is allowed to freely select any card. This fact can be really emphasized. I don't like using a faro shuffle to set up the deck because the resulting contrast between cards is not so great. I use a previously stacked deck and switch it in. I believe it is one of the strongest effects in magic.

Don't get me wrong. I love Jack Carpenter, and his newest DVD is next in line on my list of purchases. I use his ending for Three-Card Monte from his DVDs, An Evening with Carpenter, which solves some of the problems with the traditional bent-corner ending. I just wanted to point out that although one is based on the other, I think they are two different effects.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks for your comments rick, downloaded it and love it, not too difficult but will require a bit of work. The end efecto is well worth it though.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Ray, you're right. Judging by the trailer alone, the effect definitely differs from Vernon's. The reason for that is because the version on the trailer is my handling ("Target Practice") of Jack's trick which is a step removed from Vernon's. It adds a couple changes and we felt it played better for the trailer.

However, Jack's original Blindspot handling is the first thing taught on the download and it adheres better to Vernon's idea of the effect. The first card placed aside is never seen until the end of the trick. It looks like you've made a mistake and then it's instantly fixed.

Thanks for your comments. Another thing that you're right about is that Jack is awesome. I hope you're able to pick up his new DVD soon. It's filled with really great magic.

Rich Aviles
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Rich, thanks. Love your mustache.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
The response to this trick has been wonderful. Perhaps we can pull one more trick out of Jack...

Stay tuned.

Rich Aviles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jack Carpenter's Blindspot (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL