The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shooting Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Time to update some of my video footage. I got a new HD camcorder with a mic input (something my last camera didn't have and the audio suffered). Also picked up a wireless mic system to put a lav mic on myself and the receiver will plug right into the camcorder mic input.

So got a good video camera and audio is going to be good. I have 5 birthdays this weekend and going to take the camera and all to each show and get some footage.

I plan on placing the tripod in different areas at each show and will probably take a few extra shirts so it looks like different shows (which it is, but I usually wear a white button up).

Does anyone have any suggestions that can help me make the most of my new toys? I plan on only making a 2-3 minute promo video with all the footage.

Josh
Josh
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
It sounds like you have your audio problem solved.
Don't forget good lighting. Many people overlook this.
As long as the lighting doesn't have a negative effect on the magic.
Remember to get audience reactions.
Also, watch your angles. The placement of the camera may catch flashes your audience will not see.
Shoot it all. You can always edit out the undesired clips.
You will need audio of the audience response as well.
What program are you using to edit the video?
Good luck.
Ihor
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

I have Adobe to edit, but no idea how to use it so I might have a pro edit it. Although you can use movie Maker
Josh
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Get video testimonials from all the parties if possible, and splice some of it into your promo, and maybe even do a whole separate video with the testimonials. Most of your footage should be showing kids laughing and having fun cause that's what you are selling.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Thanks Dan. I already have a handful of video testimonials, but making a compilation video testimonial is a nice idea - at least one more video to add to my tool box.
Josh
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You really need to have someone do the videoing, otherwise you'll have (presumably) just a wide angle shot throughout. This is OK, but it's not ideal, close-ups, panning, audience reactions, etc, should ideally be captured. To get a really good video, you need one filming a wide shot throughout, and another person videoing other angles, close-up, etc. They can then be spliced seamlessly together, to create a much more professional look.

Having a good HD recorder is pretty much essential these days, though. It also means you can video stuff at home, and create video blogs, etc.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Potty,

Luckily, I have a handful of shows this weekend and virtually every weekend coming up for the next month. I think what I'll do is set up the camera (since it's just me) on the tripod at the back of the room for one show, each side at another show, fixed on the audience at another, close up at one and get more video testimonials.

Josh
Josh
WhirlwindEnts
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WhirlwindEnts
Josh,

I have a contact who is fantastic at video editing, if you would like to pay a little to have something really impressive cut together, please pop me a PM.

Clever editing will make all the difference

Steve
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 19:32, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
I have Adobe to edit, but no idea how to use it so I might have a pro edit it. Although you can use movie Maker

I use Adobe's Premier Pro. The learning curve is quite steep and probably is not worth the time if you only do occasional editing.
You can do a lot with Premier Pro but Movie Maker will do the job for basic editing.
Good luck!
Ihor
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Make sure you get the parents permission to use footage of their children. A good friend of mine used a picture that had 10 smiling kids in it and one of the mom's tried to extort a settlement from him. Even worse she actually had the audacity to try to book him for a show after the cease and desist order was received. He had to destroy a few hundred in postcards that had the picture and take it off his website.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Don't just get verbal permission but get a release form for them to sign. Pinnacle Studio 16 is easy to use as an editor, but takes some experience to fully take advantage of all of it's capabilities. Use two camera's if possible. One always on you, and the other one filming the audience reactions. You could have someone using a good phone camera to film the audience. You don't want to miss those Kodak moments of audiece reactions.

Also, don't give too much away in your video promo. What I mean by that is try not showing the finale of your tricks. Itcould take away the surprises of the endings of them. But you can always use the reactions from your volunteers though. For example. I show some of the routine of Professor Cheer, but I don't show the ending where I pull out my underwater. I think by doing so spoils it.

Try to keep your promo around 3 minutes at the most. Even two minutes is sufficient. Make sure you add in all your contact info, and don't use music you do not have rights to. There are plenty of royalty free music you can purchase without resorting to using copyrighted music without permission.

Good luck, and have fun with it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Underdwater? Stupid auto speller. It was supposed to be underware. Lol
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2013-05-24 02:33, Danny Kazam wrote:
Underdwater? Stupid auto speller. It was supposed to be underware. Lol

Underwear!
Ihor
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Yes, auto correction on my phone got me again. I just gave up. Lol
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I also use Pinnacle for video editing and love it. It has lots of great features but takes a little time to figure out the various features. I'll be redoing my show reel and will certainly give more attention to LIGHTING. It Jack, it sounds like you have some great equipment. At times, I've even asked a teenager (older sibling) at a kids show if he/she would mind recording some video of the show. They are generally happy to help so it doesn't look like they are enjoying a show for little kids. They won't record everything perfectly, but even if they get 5 seconds of great footage here and there, it will be worth it. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shooting Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL