The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eisenberg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
Did anyone else see this last night? I think his "performance" serves to highlight the talent of good magicians. Smile He is a fine actor, but I think it was obvious to everyone that he is not a magician. I found the part where he says, "don't look at my hands" quite amusing. He also said, "The movie is much better than than this." Here'e hoping that's true.

For those who didn't see it and want to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWR32rFLGs

Perhaps some will say, "Good for him for trying." I am of the opinion that he should have performed something easier for him... if at all.
"Cards are the poetry of magic." J.N. Hofzinser
AAAL
View Profile
Regular user
Venezuela
112 Posts

Profile of AAAL
I agree, he should have performed something easier, maybe from a harry lorayne book, or a self working effect. He proabbly just wanted to show off.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
It didn't look planned at all to me... It looks like he was just put into an awkward situation. Eisenberg isn't a magician and being only in front of NICE cameras and scripted actors he probably thought it was going to go well. He did the Snap change itself well but camera on the side took total advantage of the bad angle.

I feel bad for him more than anything. Even magicians who we view as GREAT have a tough time performing for Letterman. Look how he placed his card back into the deck, he just slammed it in there.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I agree. It didn't look like he wanted to show off. It looked to me like he was really uncomfortable. Speaking as a Monday morning quarterback, I think he should have DL-ed, put the card back, and then lifted just the selected card. Seems that makes more sense if you're not sure of the camera angles...
AAAL
View Profile
Regular user
Venezuela
112 Posts

Profile of AAAL
Yeah, letterman is a tough cookie
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
The movie is lots of fun. Don't miss it. Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Jesse one of those actors with a bit of an odd personality.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
Eisenberg is an actor who, though he has hit it big in Hollywood, has not forgotten his roots. He still does a lot of acting, writing, and directing of theatre pieces in small Off-Broadway venues in NYC.
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Duderino
That was bit rough. Television angles can be unforgiving. I would think that to perform an angle sensitive trick you'd have to plan camera angles in advance and since he didn't look prepared to do anything, it was a gamble to improvise something like that. Letterman kind of put him in a tough spot.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
The problem wasn’t Letterman or unforgiving television angles. The problem was that Eisenberg isn’t a magician, lacks even the most basic sleight-of-hand skill, didn’t have a clue what he was doing, and has no business doing a card trick even for a tolerant friend, let alone on national television.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1009 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-05-18 06:07, Count Lustig wrote:
The problem wasn’t Letterman or unforgiving television angles. The problem was that Eisenberg isn’t a magician, lacks even the most basic sleight-of-hand skill, didn’t have a clue what he was doing, and has no business doing a card trick even for a tolerant friend, let alone on national television.

+1
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
I agree with the two previous posts, but I was trying to be a little nicer about it. Smile As evidence to support this assertion, I cite his "control." He didn't even try to hold a break. He just kept the two halves separate and placed the half with Letterman's selection on top. Granted, Letterman himself probably did not see that, because Eisenberg's hands were in his lap. After all, he had instructed Letterman not to watch them anyway! (lol) Nonetheless, the camera did see it. If you are doing a magic trick on TV, it is as much your responsibility to be aware of where the cameras are as it is to be aware of where your spectators' eyes are in a live performance. Yet, I do not expect him to know that because, as has been stated many times, he is not a magician. Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4230 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
He is not a magician, playing such a big role on a big budget movie I would have expected the magician's coaching him to at least prepare him for doing something on television when we is being interviewed. I know he is not a magician, but this makes me feel sorry for him.
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
Blindside, that is a good thought. I wonder who the magic consultants on the film are. They must have cringed at this. Smile
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
I've seen a few actors try and pull this sort of thing off when they are in a magic themed movie. I recall Scott Bakula doing something equally as bad when he was promoting Lord of Illusion.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Lord of illusion was as bad as eisnibergs trick
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Well, one thing is for sure--he's no Neil Patrick Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKqAr2CVNw
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of harbour
...an actor playing the part of a magician.
To me this shows others how difficult it is to do great magic.
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
That is the point I was making in my original post when I said:

"I think his 'performance' serves to highlight the talent of good magicians."

So, I agree. Smile
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Eisenberg is an actor who, though he has hit it big in Hollywood, has not forgotten his roots. He still does a lot of acting, writing, and directing of theatre pieces in small Off-Broadway venues in NYC."

And horrendous magic on Letterman. This wasn't about angles or Letterman's legendary "toughness." It was an object lesson in when not to perform. Magicians don't do themselves any favors by responding to it with excuses and lots of smiley faces. It was crap, objectively, not merely as a matter of opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eisenberg (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL