The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eisenberg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, it was. Where did I say otherwise? So what? It was an informal bit on a talk show. He could have tried singing opera or balancing three chairs on his nose and failed equally. Who cares? It only makes others look better.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Heisenberg > Eisenberg
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 17:54, tenchu wrote:
Heisenberg > Eisenberg

Are you sure?
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"It only makes others look better."

Except those who are just as bad, or worse; he's a reminder of those.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 16:47, landmark wrote:
Yes, it was. Where did I say otherwise? So what? It was an informal bit on a talk show. He could have tried singing opera or balancing three chairs on his nose and failed equally. Who cares? It only makes others look better.

I believe magic is not something to be "tried" live on tv in front of millions of viewers. We could have been watching him "try" to do anything else he can't do, maybe such as juggling, break-dancing, spinning plates, whatever. Failing at any of those things could well have had added entertainment value. Watching him fail to do a mediocre magic trick was just painful and a waste of time.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Give him a break, he's only been studying for a few months, it's not like all of magic is ruined now. He's where all of us were at when you have been into it for that long he tried something and it didn't go off well, and he was under a lot of pressure, at that. Did it expose a technique? Yes, but who's going to remember that two hours later? Non magicians, I mean.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
A couple of thoughts from reading the thread and watching the video:
1) Anyone would know that if you playa movie role of a magician, SOMEONE on the talk show tour is gonna ask if you can do a trick!
2) You can either learn a no fail trick to do, or you can be prepared to say "uh, you know I was acting...but thank you! I did my job as an actor creating the illusion if you think I AM a magician...but I am not."
EITHER WAY, he should have been prepared for how to deal with what he had to KNOW would happen. Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Give him a break, he's only been studying for a few months, it's not like all of magic is ruined now. He's where all of us were at when you have been into it for that long he tried something and it didn't go off well, and he was under a lot of pressure, at that. Did it expose a technique? Yes, but who's going to remember that two hours later? Non magicians, I mean."

That's one way of looking at it. But as between pretending it wasn't bad and just saying it was, I prefer calling it what it was. It didn't 'ruin' magic; but calling it a crappy performance doesn't ruin anything else, other than magicians' reputation for being infinitely tolerant of mediocrity.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
This reminds me of a phrase I use to hear a lot in high school, "Haters gonna hate".

He is not a magician, yet he gave it a shot...I give him a high five for the effort.

Tell me again how your snap change is exposed now and you wont be able to use it anymore and I will tell you, why the he## are you doing a snap change.

Oh, its the DL that he exposed.....well many people know about the DL....doesnt mean you still can use it, play upon there "knowledge of the DL, or just do something else for those "special" spectators.

Long story short....good looking, charming, successfull young man doing magic while making a blockbuster movie about magic seems like a win for the magic community.

But....haters gonna hate.

BIlly
CardStudent
View Profile
New user
Greer, SC
57 Posts

Profile of CardStudent
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 21:29, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.

This is an excellent point I hadn't thought of.
"Cards are the poetry of magic." J.N. Hofzinser
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I supposed nobody here has ever messed up a trick before. I am not tolerant of mediocre magic, but I am tolerant of someone going on Letterman before camera's and a live audience and doing a card trick, a person who has only been doing magic for a few months. In the movie he plays someone else. On Letterman he was himself.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 22:28, Billy-one wrote:
He is not a magician, yet he gave it a shot...I give him a high five for the effort.
BIlly

I’m not a surgeon, but if you need a heart bypass I’ll be glad to give it a shot. Hopefully, you’ll give me a high five for the effort (if you survive).
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On 2013-05-18 19:35, Duderino wrote:
Well, one thing is for sure--he's no Neil Patrick Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKqAr2CVNw

that was nice Smile
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"This reminds me of a phrase I use to hear a lot in high school, "Haters gonna hate". "

That's right, there are just "haters" and really kind, affirming people like you.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 21:29, Stephon Johnson wrote:
A couple of thoughts from reading the thread and watching the video:
1) Anyone would know that if you playa movie role of a magician, SOMEONE on the talk show tour is gonna ask if you can do a trick!
2) You can either learn a no fail trick to do, or you can be prepared to say "uh, you know I was acting...but thank you! I did my job as an actor creating the illusion if you think I AM a magician...but I am not."
EITHER WAY, he should have been prepared for how to deal with what he had to KNOW would happen. Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.

Agree with you up to the last sentence. I don't need James Earl Jones to really be the Master of All Evil in the Universe to believe his portrayal of Darth Vader. Actors ≠ their characters
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 17:54, tenchu wrote:
Heisenberg > Eisenberg

Are you certain of that?

Mussolini < Eisenberg < Jonas Salk
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
Quote:
On 2013-05-22 00:24, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 22:28, Billy-one wrote:
BIlly

I’m not a surgeon, but if you need a heart bypass I’ll be glad to give it a shot. Hopefully, you’ll give me a high five for the effort (if you survive).

Well said! Live tv is not the place to "have a go" at magic. By all means, "give it a shot" in front of a few friends.. But live tv? Yeah, good one, gimme five and keep up the good work! In fact, the more actors who try magic tricks and fail them on live tv the better, right?
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen."

By doing a crappy card trick on Letterman he's less "credible" in a movie role? That's the kind of thing that sort of sounds as if it makes sense, except it doesn't at all resemble how people actually respond to things. If he's delivers well-written lines in a well-directed movie, that's what determines if the on-screen portrayal will be well-recieved. The vast majority of people who happened to see him on Letterman won't even know it's the same person in a movie, and the vast majority of people watching a movie will know nothing of his Letterman appearance. It's mostly a non-event. But it's still bad magic and should be called bad magic, rather than handing everyone a participation trophy and regarding the merest criticism as "hating on."
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
If Eisenberg make claims to being a professional magician and screwed up that might be different, but a surgeon promotes himself as a seasoned pro. But like Byrnes says, it's mostly a non-event. The only people who even remember it, I would guess, are those here who are still upset about it.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2013-05-22 15:35, fonda57 wrote:
If Eisenberg make claims to being a professional magician and screwed up that might be different, but a surgeon promotes himself as a seasoned pro...

I'm not promoting myself as a seasoned pro. I just want to perform surgery (preferably on national television) in order to get that coveted "high five." I want people to congratulate me for giving it a shot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eisenberg (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL