The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pope Francis "The Cult of Money" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 22:38, kambiz wrote:

Aces, if you or anyone can guide me to where I can read official Catholic teaching that says that all atheists can attain salvation, I will be delighted Smile

Kam

Prepare to be delighted, then. I presume that you will consider the words of Pope Francis to be "official Catholic teaching."

http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=51077

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Holy Father is full of surprises, born of true and faithful humility. On Wednesday he declared that all people, not just Catholics, are redeemed through Jesus, even atheists.

However, he did emphasize there was a catch. Those people must still do good. In fact, it is in doing good that they are led to the One who is the Source of all that is good. In essence he simply restated the hope of the Church that all come to know God, through His Son Jesus Christ.

Francis based his homily on the message of Christ to his disciples taken from the Gospel of Mark. Francis delivered his message by sharing a story of a Catholic who asked a priest if atheists were saved by Christ.

"They complain," Francis said, "If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good." He explained that Jesus corrected them, "Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good."

The disciples, Pope Francis explained, "were a little intolerant," closed off by the idea of possessing the truth, convinced that "those who do not have the truth, cannot do good." "This was wrong... Jesus broadens the horizon." Pope Francis said, "The root of this possibility of doing good - that we all have - is in creation."

"Even them, everyone, we all have the duty to do good, Pope Francis said on Vatican Radio.

"Just do good" was his challenge, "and we'll find a meeting point."

Francis explained himself, "The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart, do good and do not do evil. All of us. 'But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.' Yes, he can... "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ, all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!" We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."

Father James Martin, a Jesuit priest, told the Huffington Post, "Pope Francis is saying, more clearly than ever before, that Christ offered himself as a sacrifice for everyone. That's always been a Christian belief. You can find St. Paul saying in the First Letter to Timothy that Jesus gave himself as a 'ransom for all.' But rarely do you hear it said by Catholics so forcefully, and with such evident joy. And in this era of religious controversies, it's a timely reminder that God cannot be confined to our narrow categories."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 23:09, mastermindreader wrote:

I presume that you will consider the words of Pope Francis to be "official Catholic teaching."

Actually, Bob, I think you may need to do further research. I will leave it to the people who "know it" to respond to you here, since I know nothing (and I don't, but I'm happy to learn).

From my understanding of studying Catholicism quite intensely recently, even Papal writings are not all definitively infallible Catholic teaching.

As I say, this is the basis of my confusion, but I am happy to eat humble pie Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 22:38, kambiz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 22:06, acesover wrote:
Please Kam don't try and show yourself as an expert on Catholicism, you definitely are not. Stick with your own religious beliefs and quote them as much as you want. You may be qualified to do that, however I am not even sure about that. But again don't try and tell us here about the Catholic religion when you only seem to know enough to get yourself in over your head when discussing the Catholic faith and its teachings. Please don't go there.

It is very difficult to try to discuss something as involved as religion with someone who believes they are an expert on a particular religion, when there knowledge comes from what they have just googled and they regurgitate it without knowing what they have just read. A little knowledge is dangerous. Especially if one spouts it to be absolute truth and does not understand fully what they have just read but believe they do. There is nothing more frightening and dangerous than a person who knows they are right, but are not.

Believe what you want. But stop trying to be a missionary and telling other people what at best is half truths about what you believe to be their religion.

I have said it many times, I am not a missionary. I don't have the patience for it and definitely not the calling. But I do know my religion and from your posts you don't. So again stick to what you believe in and quote yours all you want but don't try and sell others on what you have just googled and only know the tip of the iceberg. Or should we get into how your leader cannot even keep his own house in order? I won't go there because I don't know all the facts but I know you know what I am referring too.

If it makes you happy to believe that all of us Catholics have been duped and only you guys have the true religion, go for it. But keep it to yourself and be happy. I know I am content and I feel you should be too.

Aces, if you or anyone can guide me to where I can read official Catholic teaching that says that all atheists can attain salvation, I will be delighted Smile

Kam

I am not here to delight you nor enlighten you. Just reminding you that you are not an expert on all religions. You are no more or less than anyone else here. You have opinions just as everyone else. You believe what you want, just as everyone else. You are Kam and nothing more.

The one thing I believe you can do is stop googling looking to feed your agenda. It even shows as you ask...show me where I can read official Catholic teachings. Supposoe I show you such an article. Then what. Do you now believe in the Catholic teachings?

You don't read a googled article and become an expert. You must research. One cannot take everything one reads litteraly. The time it was written has to be taken into consideration. The person who wrote it and why. Have you ever heard someone say, "I'll kill you"? Is that what they meant? Have you yourself ever said something that you did not really mean? Have people in the past ever said or written things that they did not mean or that could be taken the wrong way? Does Jodi really want to die? She said so.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Ok........

Kam
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are not happy to learn or eat humble pie. You use questions as a vehicle to tdlry to bash which you obviously have no knowledge of and for some reason disapprove of. You don't want to learn you just hoped you were talkibg to peoe who didn't know better.

You want to take every opportunity to proselytize and to bash. Any good sales guy will tell you tyat the way to sell your product is not to bash others. Truth can speak for itself.

You have been shown more than once your mistakes. But you take it as part of your faith that you are automatically right so you will never hear it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-24 00:11, kambiz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 23:09, mastermindreader wrote:

I presume that you will consider the words of Pope Francis to be "official Catholic teaching."

Actually, Bob, I think you may need to do further research. I will leave it to the people who "know it" to respond to you here, since I know nothing (and I don't, but I'm happy to learn).

Ya think? I thought I mentioned I was raised a devout Catholic and attended a Catholic University. I've studied the religion since I was a child and am, in many ways, still a Catholic at heart.

You asked for an official Church statement regarding the "salvation" of atheists.

I gave you one.

I thought, based on your own words, that you would be delighted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Kam in history your routine is nothing new. It has been used by hate groups for centuries.

Go ahead concentrate on what divides if this is what your faith asks of you. Deny facts just so you can claim righteous indignation. Be happy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I am not shouting or slandering you Bob, I am delighted to here this open-ness to salvation..

So, are you saying that this teaching which you quoted in your post above, is in line with what is written in the Catechism? If so, how? I can't seem to reconcile the two at all.....

Kam
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-05-24 01:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Kam in history your routine is nothing new. It has been used by hate groups for centuries.

Go ahead concentrate on what divides if this is what your faith asks of you. Deny facts just so you can claim righteous indignation. Be happy.

Danny, am I calling any names here?
Am I saying this is "changing the goalposts"?
Am I saying this is some utopian bull?

I hope you see a posture of humility from me....I'm NOT, repeat NOT trying to advance myself to be the "know it all".....everything that I have posted has been legitimately addressing an, (externally seeming anyway) anomoly

Kam
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-24 01:03, kambiz wrote:
I am not shouting or slandering you Bob, I am delighted to here this open-ness to salvation..

So, are you saying that this teaching which you quoted in your post above, is in line with what is written in the Catechism? If so, how? I can't seem to reconcile the two at all.....

Kam

From the last paragraph of the article I quoted earlier:

Quote:
Father James Martin, a Jesuit priest, told the Huffington Post, "Pope Francis is saying, more clearly than ever before, that Christ offered himself as a sacrifice for everyone. That's always been a Christian belief. You can find St. Paul saying in the First Letter to Timothy that Jesus gave himself as a 'ransom for all.' But rarely do you hear it said by Catholics so forcefully, and with such evident joy. And in this era of religious controversies, it's a timely reminder that God cannot be confined to our narrow categories."
[emphasis added]
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Thankyou Bob, now I feel I cannot ask questions for being hounded, be here goes...

It says in the paragraph that "Christ offered Himself as a sacrific for everyone", but does that mean there is SALVATION for those that reject Him?

Kam
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

As Pope Francis said:

Quote:
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ, all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!" We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
....Hurrah!!! Smile

So all the quotes I provided from previous Popes and the entries in the CCC referring to " No salvation outside the Church" are now null and void?

Kam
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
....and by null and void, I mean no disrespect, I should maybe have said "superceded"...

Kam
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The Catholic faith is not static. From the Catechism:

Quote:
Growth in understanding the faith

94 Thanks to the assistance of the Holy Spirit, the understanding of both the realities and the words of the heritage of faith is able to grow in the life of the Church: (66, 2651, 2038, 2518)

— “through the contemplation and study of believers who ponder these things in their hearts”;57 it is in particular “theological research [which] deepens knowledge of revealed truth.”58

— “from the intimate sense of spiritual realities which [believers] experience,”59 the sacred Scriptures “grow with the one who reads them.”60

— “from the preaching of those who have received, along with their right of succession in the episcopate, the sure charism of truth.”61
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Thanks Bob,

I struggle,then to reconcile the Biblical verse where Jesus says "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

How do you reconcile this verse with atheistic salvation, or any non-Christian salvation for that matter?

Kam
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

If, in fact, He gave his life so that all could be saved, then their ultimate salvation would be through Him regardless.

But, like I said, I'm not a practicing Catholic any more. I'm a Deist (with Christian leanings) so I don't worry too much about the niceties of scriptural interpretation.

We just try to do the right things in this life, and hope for the best in the next.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
I'm still yet to hear why Catholic schools will not teach my child anything unless he/she was baptized a Catholic??
BTW, that's a question. I hope that's allowed without being accused of being argumentative

Kam,

You said that pages ago, and despite fact after fact which demonstrates that either it's a falsehood, or that Australian Catholic schools insist on a condition for your child that they do not for over 200,000 others, you refuse to admit it's untrue.

Now the truth is if Catholic schools refused to even admit non Catholic students, in Australia that would be their right - and rightly so. Australia has always practiced freedom of religion.

But they do admit non Catholic students, and they don't insist they be baptised Catholics, and they do openly declare that Catholic values are an important part of their curriculum. If that is not appropriate for your child, send him to a government school - it's free and of a high standard.

The assertion that Catholics exclude all but Catholics from their Heaven has also been shown to be false, or if you insist, as you will, debatable, BUT it isn't any of your business - and it's irrelevant to anything on these pages.

If you are an atheist or of some other religion, the Catholic way to Heaven is irrelevant to you. If the Pope announces tomorrow that to go to Heaven as a Catholic you need to wear purple nail polish on Thursdays and a bone through your nose every full moon - IT DOESN"T MATTER - because you don't believe in it anyway - it's not your religion.

It only matters to non Catholics if the Pope says "kill all the non Catholics" or "burn down all the non Catholic places of worship". Now some did say that - a bloody long time ago - as have Protestants, Moslems, Buddhists, and most of the rest. That only matters if they are still doing it now. If they stopped doing it centuries ago and have renounced that behaviour, time to move on.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:

You said that pages ago, and despite fact after fact which demonstrates that either it's a falsehood, or that Australian Catholic schools insist on a condition for your child that they do not for over 200,000 others, you refuse to admit it's untrue.

I'm not privy to the exact extent of what has or has not been said to the 200,000 are you? That was a quote from a Catholic source. Yes in Australia, most people do not kick up a fuss about these things, because as you have correctly pointed out, there are alternative options. The fact is that the few people I have encountered were advised exactly what I have said. You can go look up some other forum entries (which I have already) and you will see there are others. Most people generally can't be bothered to kick up a fuss, simply because it's not a big deal for them, the principle still stands, together with the reality that the Pope claims salvation for all peoples of all religions and beliefs, yet teaches nothing about any other religion but Catholicism in his schools (you provided very good evidence of that yourself)

Quote:
Now the truth is if Catholic schools refused to even admit non Catholic students, in Australia that would be their right - and rightly so. Australia has always practiced freedom of religion.

I agree, totally within their right to do that, but its the long term repercussions of that which are open for research.....

Quote:
But they do admit non Catholic students, and they don't insist they be baptised Catholics....

I'm not lying to you Destiny, I have a staff member who's son will not be allowed to continue his education at a local Catholic school unless the whole family convert....I will happily provide a written statement if this is where we are going with this....

As I say, this may be the only case in the whole of Australia, OR, they are commonly accepted circumstances that are simply shoulder shrugged and people move on, either convert, or they change school, not a big deal either way for many....

Quote:
and they do openly declare that Catholic values are an important part of their curriculum. If that is not appropriate for your child, send him to a government school - it's free and of a high standard.

Fair enough, I have Smile He goes to a lovely Anglican school, where there were no questions asked at all, yet still the religious education curriculum is filled with good stuff like Jesus is coming back to Perth, he will die waiting for that day, just like trillions in the past and trillions in the future. Sad thing was that the junior school board heard that my son was working wonderful things with an indigenous neighbourhood, obliterating a cultural divide, and working arm in arm, and walking together with them in a path of service.

They asked what is the program being implemented there. We said that it develops the capacity of children and youth to implement more and more complex avenues of selfless service and enrichment of community life, through arts, drama, story-telling, crafts and music. WOW!!! Brilliant, they said, tell us more. So we did, we delved quite deep into its facets, and they watched us more and more excited. They then asked "Is the program run by a religious organisation?" We said, no it is "Bahai-inspired", there actually is not one mention of the word Baha'i or any of its Central Figures in the program at all. 3 months have passed, not a single word has been heard from them......again, I must be the only one in Australia experiencing these things....

Quote:
The assertion that Catholics exclude all but Catholics from their Heaven has also been shown to be false or if you insist, as you will, debatable, BUT it isn't any of your business - and it's irrelevant to anything on these pages.

No, it has been proven to be false, wonderful....you saw my Hurrah!!, I was genuinely excited. I ate the humble pie. Its been long coming, 2000 years I believe. I want to now see it being implemented into action in the grassroots. No word of a lie, if I hear a Catholic excluding ANYONE from salvation in the neighbourhoods I'm working in, or the 100's of Baha'is in Perth doing similar neighbourhood programs in, then you can be sure I will be putting up that quote from Pope Francis right in their faces.

I'll tell you where all this has stemmed from Destiny, you wanna know?

My wife and I have worked tirelessly in Hilton neighbourhood with these indigenous children, singing songs, drawing love hearts with the 5 year olds. My wife works with the 5 -6 year olds. These kids are fostered. Their parents are either in prison, or in rehab. She visits them twice a week at least if she can, spends time with them. Their foster parents love how they come home uplifted, high spirits, flowers made of tissue paper, friendship bracelets from African beads, Islamic prayer mats for their own devotional time at home, Hindu things, Buddhist things, etc etc. These kids have often asked my wife if she can be their mum, such is the love expressed both ways, they're only kids but hey, its innocent expressions, nothing is made of it, she just laughs it off and gives them a swing around etc etc.

During Easter, we saw that they were leaving the Christian classes (this was the first time they were there, but the Christians were giving away a LOT of chocolate that day, so it didn't surprise us...), which take place just before the Baha'i programs. We thought, WONDERFUL, we get on well with the Christian teachers in the community hall, and we discuss how a lot of our stuff overlaps heavily, so it can only be reinforced right?
So my wife goes to pick up these girls from their home, and to her surprise, they no longer want to come over to be with my wife. In fact they were literally SCARED of her. Why?? After talking to the foster mother, all was revealed, and I will leave it to you to guess what the revelation was.....they no longer go to EITHER class, one is forbidden by the mother, the other is disenabled by fear of hell.....so where does that leave these kids???

Quote:
If you are an atheist or of some other religion, the Catholic way to Heaven is irrelevant to you. If the Pope announces tomorrow that to go to Heaven as a Catholic you need to wear purple nail polish on Thursdays and a bone through your nose every full moon - IT DOESN"T MATTER - because you don't believe in it anyway - it's not your religion.

Read above

Quote:
It only matters to non Catholics if the Pope says "kill all the non Catholics" or "burn down all the non Catholic places of worship". Now some did say that - a bloody long time ago - as have Protestants, Moslems, Buddhists, and most of the rest. That only matters if they are still doing it now. If they stopped doing it centuries ago and have renounced that behaviour, time to move on.

Read above

Again, I expect to be smashed from pillar to post for even talking about this, but its happened on too many occasions with Baha'i activities, and its rearing its head more and more, because Baha'is are doing more and more grassroots programs, so go ahead give me an earful.

I'm not normally a person to get upset, but really seeing that child receive no opportunity to develop a capacity to love all mankind is heartbreaking.

SO, I HOPE the Pope can find a system to empower the global Catholic community to work "with" rather than "against" other religions.....

Kam
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Which bit of 'freedom of religion' is so difficult to understand?

A religion is allowed to have as a belief that if you go against their moral precepts you will burn in an eternal hell.

They're also allowed to teach that. They're just not allowed to light the fire themselves.

You think Baha'i is something special because it's taken beliefs and prophets from other religions, and that other religions are somehow lacking because they haven't done the same.

HERE IS THE NEWS - everyone thinks their religion is the special one, for whatever reason, and that the others are somehow lacking.

You see Baha'i as uniting other religions, but from everything you've said in this thread, I would see Baha'i not as a unifier, but as a self appointed arbiter of other people's religious belief.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pope Francis "The Cult of Money" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL