The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guitar Playing affect your magic or vice versa? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
121 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I've noticed a number of guitar players here at the forum. I haven't been playing and I want to get back to it.

I was wondering, has the calluses affected your ability to perform sleights, especially with cards ?
The opposite question, of course, came to mind. Has keeping your hands moist with lotion for magic affected your ability to build good calluses for playing? Should I just take Zappa's advice and "Shut Up and Play my Guitar." Smile

Thanks,
Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I've been a guitar player for the past fifteen years. Electric using .09 strings, so my calluses are not too note-worthy (pun intended). I think that calluses are about as needed for playing guitar as lotion is for doing magic.

I say "shut up and do both!"
Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have been playing for the last 17 years on .09 strings, and I agree with Firedice27. However, I will say that playing keeps your dexterity up. Smile
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Maybe he's talking about acoustic strings. Mine are from .12 to .53 and if I play alot I do get callouses.
Doesn't effect my magic any though.
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Having played the guitar just a little longer than doing Magic (43 yrs.) I think that it really makes no difference. If anything, the two compliment each other. Both are great fun and I would never give up one great pleasure for another (unless my doctor told me to Smile ). I have seen a couple of profesional Magician's who play a little guitar in their show.
My opinion is, have fun and do both. Maybe you can do a Zombie effect using your guitar or some other Magical effect.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
I play giutar with my feet so there is no problems with my fingers

just kidding
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Ah yes, acoustic strings are a bit tougher. But let me tell ya, nothing beats an inflamed ankle from going at that wah pedal like a hell-bent maniac!

(Umm... that, of course, wouldn't hurt your magic either.)
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
121 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
It seems I've been worried about nothing. I use 0.10 on my electric and Medium Elixir's (0.13 - 0.56 ) on my acoustic. I haven't been playing the electric lately. Now all I need to do is become indpendently wealthy to have enough free time to enjoy both hobbies.

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guitar Playing affect your magic or vice versa? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL