The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » 9v batteries - best quality? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hey guys,

What 9v battery is best to use in my headset mic?
Energizer or Duracell?
Should I use a battery tester to see how many times I can use each battery before it dies mid-show?
I refuse to use rechargeables as I read they can be very unreliable and die quickly.
Thanks
Scott
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Scott, I always use fresh Duracell batteries in my headset mic. However, I think any of the top brand name batteries are fine....just make sure they are alkaline. The big 3 for me are Duracell, Energizer, and Rayovac. (Not in that particular order) I am a musician, so I have a lot of experience with batteries. Rayovac batteries are less expensive than Duracell or Energizer batteries and I have found that they last just as long, if not longer in some cases.
Mister Mystery
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I replace my batteries every weekend. I couldn't tell you how long they last but I always purchase either Duracell or Energizer.

Dan.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
There are some industrial-strength 9v batteries that are recommended by the instructions of some older Collector's Workshop effects. Not sure where one would go about purchasing them in a hometown setting.

Steve
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gothike
Personally, I had a Sennheiser 9v transmitter and receiver and the battery life was 2-3 hours or 2 shows. It was $5.00 for two 9v batteries. Every two shows I was paying $5.00 and it was adding up fast. When I realized my battery expense was over $250 I looked at another solution.

So I switched to a newer system that runs on AA batteries, life is about 8 hours. Battery expense is way lower.

Just in case your 9v battery life is similar and you have a similar experience.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Guys,

Most manufacturers recommend the industry standard... Procell - industrial version of Duracell, best prices I can find in the States are here:

http://www.cheap-batteries.com/p/PC16049VC.html

Gary
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks everyone. Great idea Gary!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a universal battery tester that I bought at Radio Shack, many years ago. It never let me down. I'm not sure what's available down under, but a battery tester will tell you if you can safely get more use out of your batteries, saving you money. A tester pays for itself and they don't cost much.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Check out Targets dollar section every time you're in. They have 9v batteries for a buck every so often.
-Matt
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Lithium Batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/9VPrimaryLithiumBattery.aspx

My buddy works in a Surgery Operating Room and he says they
use Lithium batteries in their equipment. Because they are the best.
They use them once and throw them away.
Yes I've asked him to get me the ones they throw away
but none yet.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Quote:
On 2013-05-22 10:03, Matthew W wrote:
Check out Targets dollar section every time you're in. They have 9v batteries for a buck every so often.

This is what I thought (if you mean cheap no-name batteries). I bought a bulk pack of no-name 9v batteries for $5.
It lasted 10 minutes into my show, and cut out. I went straight to change to my old Duracell which lasted a full show prior to this one, and this carried me through this one also.
Lucky it was a quick change in a casual setting!

Don't skimp on quality!!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Lithium Polymer rechargeables and chargers from http://www.thomasdistributing.com

I've been using them daily for months at the theater, they're very reliable and they last longer on one charge than the alkalines. We saved a lot of money by using these.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I agree, always liked the rechargeable batteries.
Max
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I always use Duracell and never leave home w/o my Battery Tester. the Battery tester has served me well and save me a lot of money. I do not need to go out every weekend and use fresh batteries. Just use common sense and purchase a Battery Tester for under $ 10.00. It will save you money in the long run. I have a Battery Tester with every Microphone System and I always do carry extra batteries with me.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I only trust Energizer 9V batteries. I also have a tester just to be sure they are in the right voltage. Every time I buy batteries, I always test all of them.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I also recommend the rechargeable batteries. I've used them for years, they do great, plus I save tons of money. I just can't justify buying batteries to use once, then throwing them away!

Here are a few of the ones I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QUN......F8&psc=1

I've also used these, they're good too:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-Maha-......230.html

Hope that helps!
Kevin
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Duracell batteries quality are very bad!Energizer are better!
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
15 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
Two votes for the Duracell Procells.

Traditionally in professional theaters you buy them by the case, use them once and throw them in a box.

Then once it's full, the tech takes home a box of mostly new batteries to use in all their toys....wiimotes....etc.

In fact, everyone should be buying them as they're cheaper and last longer than the commercially marketed junk lines!

And as a side note, in terms of expendables - if anyone is buying the regular HPL lamps for Source Four Theatrical Lights, they make a HPL-X version which is a buck or two more a lamp, but lasts 5-10 times longer than the regular HPL Lamps.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I take the dollar store route. I change the batteries for very battery item I have for every show. Not every other show or once a day. EVERY SHOW. The only exception is the flat battery in my sound man remote. My mic battery only has to last for no more than an hour. I have been buying the dollar store batteries for about five years now with no problems. I do not need them last any longer than one show.
nucinud46
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of nucinud46
I get the Radio Shack alkaline 4 for $10. They work great and I always have spares.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » 9v batteries - best quality? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL