The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2013 entrée: Kevin Ridgeway & Kristen Johnson (aka Living Illusions) » » Movie Stunt Adventure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
First of all big fan of your work, endeavors and of you guys in general. Congrats on being VIP, well deserved. OK enough kissing up (you can pay me later Smile)

2010 saw the debut of Movie Stunt Adventure and I thought it was something far out of the ordinary. I know we are supposed to talk about magic and escapes but when the VIP is as multifaceted as Kevin & Kristen it is hard to not touch other topics.

Can you tell us a little more about it and will it be returning this year?
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Hey Shawn, good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well. Thank you for the kind words, the check is in the mail.

Movie Stunt Adventure grew out of Kristen training with stuntmen, specifically high falls. We have never cared for most versions of the upside straitjacket escape where the performer get out of the jacket in this precarious position, only to be lowered back down to the ground by the crane operator, chain motor, etc.

From day one Kristen has always escaped the predicament of her aerial escapes by either rappelling or fast roping back down to the ground. We always hid the rope in her boots so there wasn't the tell tale sign of a forthcoming rapel. For the first second or so, people thought Kristen was falling. So we decided to get them exactly that. When the situation allows, kristen get out of the jacket, rights herself, unhooks her footloops, hangs by one or two hands and does a high fall to a stunt airbag, which is occasionally hiden from view of the audience.

We both train for her stunts & escapes as I feel that is the best way for me to be fully prepared as her safety coordinator. We loved the high falls so much, that we felt other would as well. Our manager Mark Bell, Kristen & I started to put a stunt show together. That led to Movie Stunt Adventure playing nationwide at fairs, coorporate events, festivals, gymnastic schools, etc.

What started out as a High Fall stunt show with 50' high falls, turned into a show featuring top gymnasts, stunt men & women and grew to include fight scenes, recreating scenes from hit action movies to adding in air rams, air ratchets and wire work. It evolved into a stunt school that is still on the road with an opportunity to open a stunt school in Indianapolis.

Sorry for the long winded answer. But it's definitely interesting how it actually did grow out of magic & escapes. Our motto for Movie Stunt Adventure: 'If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space'.

Kevin

Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Kevin,

Thank you for your reply, not long winded at all, I found the genesis very interesting. You guys are by far my favorite performers to follow it is amazing to watch what you do Smile. I have another question but will save it until later in the week.

Take Care,

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of David95
Am I understanding this right, you now have a stunt school?
David
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We have had a touring stunt school for several years now. Currently we looking to open a permanent location.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Does your stunt school have an online presence? I know I'd love to learn more.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2013 entrée: Kevin Ridgeway & Kristen Johnson (aka Living Illusions) » » Movie Stunt Adventure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL