The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ironing routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Well, as always, good things come to those who weight.

How about a magic ironing routine? A silly iron, collapsing ironing board, a crumpled shirt, loads of gags (burn the shirt), and at the end, pull out a lovely, ironed shirt.

Seems like a lot of potential here, not to mention the gags.

Has this ever been done before? I don't think it has, but I'm sure folks will enlighten me, if I'm wrong.

Of course, it could be a hanky, or some other item, doesn't have to be a shirt.

Ideas?
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
The ironing board would be a huge prop, but the legs not holding so it would collapse on your foot (like Dwight Damon's Comedy Chair) could be very funny. If you could get the front and back legs to move independently, you could fix one and the other collapses, and back and forth. The iron cord should roll up or get tangled around you while you set the shirt or hanky on the board. How about 2 bill snatchers attached to the corners of the hanky so you could move it to one end of the board and it would fly back to the other side.
A zombie iron perhaps behind the shirt? You could weight the cord of the iron so it would slide to the other side of the board while you weren't looking. Squirting the kids with the steam iron? (Obviously not hot water ) You could gimmick the board to switch the shirt like a dove tray?
There are a few off the top of my head...let me think some more.
Jef
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Steampunk steam engine steam iron.

"Chopped" iron with maybe a pull cord start, like a lawn mower.

Left-handed iron (you figure that one out).

Battery or solar-powered iron.

Iron the wrinkles out of a prune.

Use iron to cook bacon.

Use starch to make something stiff (like rope??)

Scorched and restored hanky, or similar for version of Sun & Moon handkerchiefs.

Find one of those slap braclets and sew it into a long cloth (tie?). Iron it flat only to have it roll back up again... over and over.

Burn your thumb and come up with one of those huge comedy thumbs, maybe pulsing with a red light inside.

Use Geoff Williams' gag where he draws an outlet onto a notepad and then plugs something into it, which works.

Cord on iron gets longer or shorter in response to something else doing the opposite (ala Chinese Sticks).

Toss a towel over your head, iron your face and when you take towel away you have a flat face.

@ Jef... LOVE the Zombie iron idea!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tell the kids to remind you to stay away from the iron because it is very hot and will not turn off. Each time you go near it the kids yell to stay away, but you still get burned by bumping into it giving a funny expression. You finally decide to take the iron apart to keep it from working. But several spring snakes fly out once opened.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Cut and restored cord.
optional use of spark gimmick.

Old joke, my parents were into the iron and "steel" industry.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
U can call yrself the IronMan
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Bad idea all around.

Woodfield
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

So many great ideas, thanks to all you guys. I see a great routine coming...

Sorry, Woodfield, but you're a party-pooper. All those creative comments, and you can't see it? Time for you to take up stamp collecting....
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
What I can see is a child wondering if that iron that's plugged in does all that neat stuff like the one they saw at the magic show.
Greensboro
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Greensboro
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the majority of American kids don't even know what an iron and ironing board are. Might be different in the U.K. I don't think a lot of people iron clothes anymore, at least the ones I see at WalMart. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to work on my "magic phonograph" routine.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-21 17:21, Woodfield wrote:
What I can see is a child wondering if that iron that's plugged in does all that neat stuff like the one they saw at the magic show.

Like any routine that involves cooking, washing machines, etc, of course, it's important to add a message to the kids that they should never try this at home, without adult supervision. and, to explain very clearly that this is a MAGIC iron, and playing with the one at home is very different, and dangerous.

As to folks not ironing - admittedly far fewer folks do so much as in the past, but I'd suggest that every household in Britain has an iron and board, and similarly, everyone I've ever visited in the USA. They may not be used as much, but are you really suggesting, that folks go to the theatre, weddings, funerals, corporate events, etc, in crumpled clothes?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 17:44, Greensboro wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the majority of American kids don't even know what an iron and ironing board are. Might be different in the U.K.

What's a U.K.?
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
I hope that's a joke Mike.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was kidding. It is not UnKnown to me.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Hey Potty,
You would be surprised at how people dress in the US. The standard mode of dress for men is cargo shorts, a tee shirt (not tucked in,) a baseball cap, and sneakers.
Most of those items have never seen an iron.
This is just my observation.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-22 10:06, Jef Eaton wrote:
Hey Potty,
You would be surprised at how people dress in the US. The standard mode of dress for men is cargo shorts, a tee shirt (not tucked in,) a baseball cap, and sneakers.
Most of those items have never seen an iron.
This is just my observation.

I know that, it's similar in the UK. But, every now and then, folks dress up for a special occasion. And then, they get out the iron! can you honestly think of anyone you know, who doesn't own one?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ironing routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL