The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The reason why you must never give up... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 08:51, TomBoleware wrote:
White Rodent,

The thought of giving up never enters our mind.
We can't afford to start thinking such thoughts.

I'm sure you have heard this by Lao Tau:

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habit.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

It's in the blood that "winners never quit and quitters never win."

I think Calvin Coolidge said it well with:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Like Pakar Ilusi said, Rest, change strategies or reevaluate your plans if you must.

But never, never, NEVER GIVE UP.

Tom

I applaud you dear sir...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
winners never quit and quitters never win."

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Like Pakar Ilusi said, Rest, change strategies or reevaluate your plans if you must.

Tom

Brovo - I agree.

Some projects, ideas and things needed to be done often need to be set aside for a while. Take time to re-do or re-invent, make plans and slowly onward toward a goal or a revised goal. Sometimes it is two steps forward one step back - Onward.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 12:42, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
winners never quit and quitters never win."

Tom

Brovo - I agree.

Some projects, ideas and things needed to be done often need to be set aside for a while. Take time to re-do or re-invent, make plans and slowly onward toward a goal or a revised goal. Sometimes it is two steps forward one step back - Onward.

Cheers!

Agreed. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 11:15, tommy wrote:
The reason why is tautological.

Also presumes that someone (else?) would know (better?), be able to tell you and choose to do so.

Lose the why and focus on the what. Then look for how. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
What a load of baloney! Changing plans IS giving up! I do thank Tom for quoting a dead Chinaman but the said Oriental doesn't seem to have said a single word about giving up. Persistence is all very well but it should not be taken to extremes. You can be as persistent as you want if your plan is to be able to change me into a frog by saying "abracadabra" but I guarantee it won't work and you will either have to change your plans or give up. And of course as I have just brilliantly stated changing your plans IS giving up. No. I am afraid persistence is not enough. It will get you so far and in fact VERY far but it isn't the complete answer. So what is? Giving up of course!

And to prove it I guarantee you will give up on this thread before I do. And it will drive you nuts trying not to give up. So there isn't much point in not giving up is there?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Pakar Ilusi, thank you.

tommy, who is that tautological fellow? Did he write a book too? Smile

Not really the same thing.

1. You can give up and quit.

(Let the lesson be that it's best to just give up on everything.)

Or

2. You can use your past experience and move on.

(When you take what you have learned and move on, you haven't quit. You've just begun.)

I like how bishthemagish said it, "it's two steps forward one step back."

Tom
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
What of load of old cobblers as we say in Australia! Moving on IS giving up! You have given up on your original goal. That is giving up. You can't fool me with semantics. I will certainly agree that you are fooling yourselves with this American motivational nonsense. It is perfectly obvious to me and to everyone else that you have both lost the arguement. I think you may as well give up.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Never give up. Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
And when you make goals, make them public. It can help you stick to them. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to inject a comment into the political discussions but the fact that I told you all I was quitting prevented me from doing so. And as far as Ironman training goes so far, 34 mile bike ride on Saturday and 11 mile run yesterday. Slow but steady wins the race. (Well, I won't be 'winning' any races other than the race to actually complete it!) Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 14:25, rockwall wrote:
And when you make goals, make them public. It can help you stick to them. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to inject a comment into the political discussions but the fact that I told you all I was quitting prevented me from doing so. And as far as Ironman training goes so far, 34 mile bike ride on Saturday and 11 mile run yesterday. Slow but steady wins the race. (Well, I won't be 'winning' any races other than the race to actually complete it!) Smile

Inspired, rockwall.

Go, go, go rockwall! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"The race is not for the swift
nor the battle for the strong
but for those who can endure"

White Rodent is a big Scottish sissy
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 17:32, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 17:29, LobowolfXXX wrote:
S2000 makes a good point, too. If he had given up, he probably never would have torn his ACL.

Wait, I don't think I did that right.

LOL!

That made my day! Thanks, Lobo!

And he would not have got as far as being told to give up by the vet either! I'm a bit concerned that you never saw a Dr and had to go to see a vet to get diagnosed as being lame! Smile Smile Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You go Rockwell.

and don't let no Rodent tell you to give up. LOL

Speaking of rats, I've always said, winning is like chasing rats out of the barn. You don't give up and burn the barn down to get rid of all the rats. You kill em one rat at a time until the job is done. Doesn't take long with the persistence and the rodents will start running the other way on their own.

Tom
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
So you are saying as long as I keep trying I will be able to run 100m in under 15 seconds then? Or should I give up on that dream?

To say just keep trying and you will get there is bull. There is no way somone can just keep trying and they will master a certain skill. Input is needed .... Whether from other or from information gained from the previous time etc. but just keep trying will not get you there. Why would it? I mean unless he goal is get the number right on a roulette wheel. Then probability says keep going, never give up and it WILL (eventually) happen. Of course if your betting too you may be forced to give up (quit ... What ever you want to call it) if all your loot runs out.

Do you guys think S2000 should NOT HAVE GIVEN up at the point he did? After all he almost made it to the jumping round? But in reality he didn't. He did stop there. He quit ....... And was darn sensible to do so at that point ( in my ind at least). In fact he would have been much worse off if he had continued and his horse may well have been made into Findus Lasagne!

But by your constant arguments you all think he should have carried on. He should not have given up?

A this point let me say to Mr S2000 I think you did great..... And should be proud of what you did. I think you did the right thing by quitting when you did. Of course we could play semantics and use different wording ...... It was unfortunat that you were forced to stop where you got to. Who knows how bad it would have been if you had ignored the advice and never given up. Of course there is nothing stopping you from entering again.

I know a guy who had been lazy all his life's and never tried and generally couldn't be arsed. He often gave up ...... But got lucky landed on his feet in a cushy job making a shed loads of money doing very little. He will give up quickly and easily, it's in his nature. Doesn't mean he's any less a nice guy or happy or less worthy as a human.

I doubt that any of the line up in the mens 100m during the last Olympics got there just from trying again and again. They all will have had talent and training, their greatness spotted and then honed in training with input from others as well as dedication of themselves. I would be as bold as to suggest that none of them would have got there by just ruining up and down 100m and never quitting. There may even have been times when their coach made them stop for the day for the week session what ever they may have NEEDED to quit to have enabled further improvement?

Quitting any addiction maybe deemed good for oneself (physically, mentally and spiritually even). I sure as he!! wish my wife would quit nagging about cleaning the car, washing up and putting that shelf up in the utility room!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Also I think that this thread has too black and white.

I like the barn / rat analogy ..... But what if......

...... You want to burn the barn down and kill rats. May as well do them both at the same time! Smile I'm always up for economy.

Any way I like rats! As long as they are not in my barn. I don't have a barn so I like rats currently.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
And still...

Never give up your worthwhile dream. Smile
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Keep striving to better youself--guaranteeing you'll always be dissatisfied and never find joy in the moment.
Push to win the rat race--whose finish line is the cemetery.
Run, Dick, run!!!!
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Dave, nobody said $2000 should've went on. Nobody said he gave up. You even said yourself "he was forced to stop." He didn't quit. The man torn his leg half off, his horse got hurt, and then they finally forced him to stop. We agree with you that he did great, we know that because he didn't just give up, you know why?

You never give up.

Tom
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:11, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Keep striving to better youself--guaranteeing you'll always be dissatisfied and never find joy in the moment.
Push to win the rat race--whose finish line is the cemetery.
Run, Dick, run!!!!

Except if you're bettering yourself doing something you enjoy. You'll enjoy every moment. Smile

Get out of the rat race if you are unhappy.

All our finish lines is the cemetery basically. Smile

Never give up your worthwhile dream. Smile
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Remembering that "worthwhile" is a subjective qualification.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The reason why you must never give up... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL