The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Roy Kueppers Query (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
attken
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of attken
Just want to share my dealing experience with Schoolcraft yesterday, Roy's service Compares very poorly with Jamie Schoolcraft.

I emailed Jamie is there any in stock Flippers and he replied me YES quickly by eMail yesterday (and he took a picture for me) .
Then I ordered and paid $425 on his order system rightaway.
After two hours , I received an email about my items has been sent with a tracking number , and Jamie put a $100 insurance on it.

4 Months ago , I remember before I paid to Roy , he told me the gaffed coin is in stock and can be shipped out after I paid...
But it's not ture ..I am still waiting my coins.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Bambu
I will never again will buy anything from this dealer.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
I still think Roy is great! Im in the process of placing an order with him actually.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4904 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe Roy does great work but his business practices are extremely poor, and as a fellow business owner they make absolutely no sense to me.
I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I simply find it impossible to believe he is being truthful.
I very likely reply to more emails from customers in my business on a weekly basis, than he is required to in his, but I couldn't sleep blowing people off for months on end so I make the time.
A 20 second email to a few customers would have completely eliminated the existence of this entire thread, assuming he is being honest.
How could any legitimate business owner not find the time?
To be perfectly blunt, you are either dishonest or you're an idiot not to.
In either case, you only have yourself to blame.
Magicians in general are a pretty forgiving group as consumers. Try running a business in the real world with that kind of customer service. He'd be long gone.
Sorry, but that's just how it is. I cannot feel any sympathy for him in this case. He should feel extremely fortunate to still be busy.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I understand that magical is how Roy makes his living, but clearly he's got more than enough work to keep him busy, therefore there is no excuse for why he was at Magic Live. He should have been in his shop, making good on the orders he already needed to fulfill.

Why he doesn't automatically include insurance and tracking makes no sense, especially with orders this expensive. Including that not only protects and informs the buyer, it protects Roy. If he's shipping when he says he is, both parties can track the order. If it gets lost, insurance will make sure both Roy and the buyer are covered and no one loses any money.

When I was a college student trying to earn some extra money, I helped a friend sell on eBay. We ALWAYS shipped with tracking information, no exceptions, and sometimes those were for purchases that were only 15 or 20 bucks. It's just common sense when you're doing this for a living.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mysta-magic
View Profile
New user
CANADA
27 Posts

Profile of mysta-magic
I have so many replies to the posts I'm reading but I'm not sure that it would make a difference to many of you that already have your opinions of me. But that has to be okay because all I can do is keep moving forward and improve on customer service and delivery times that are my downfalls. Right now I am going thru my orders shipped and unshipped over the past 12 months to see what I can find in regards to what has shipped or not shipped and what has been apparent lost in the postal system etc. I will correct these issues and make it right for those involved. Then as mentioned in my previous post I can schedule my orders so that nobody waits more than 4 weeks for any order unless specific world coins need to be sourced etc. I will inform the customer at the time the order is placed.

Shipping procedures are a huge issue for me to rectify. What some of you don't understand is that to add tracking on a 6"x9" bubble pack sized package to the US is $19. Therefore very few customers are willing to pay that much and take a chance on regular post. I would likely do the same if it were the other way around because I also think its ridiculous. As of 3 weeks ago, paypal shipping has now added what is called small packet tracked package which is much cheaper ( around the $10 mark ) on most those same sized packages to the US. Just like to mention that many times depending on the contents, I will ship with tracking based on the value of the contents without asking the customer for the extra. International orders are a different ball game altogether and I quote the customer the rates exactly as they are provided to me by either Canada post or UPS etc. Package values are also determined by the true value however, MANY customers ask that I claim a lower value like $10 on the contents and mark as gift to save on duties and taxes etc. All is good until a package gets lost. I sometimes become the bad guy when I in fact have no control at that point.

In regards to answering emails, I think I respond quite well although there are times when I drop emails into folders to respond to later. I have now created various folders for various inquiries such as quotes requested, shipped packages, etc. another step in making responses to emails better.

Why wouldn't I be at Magic Live? Many of you seem to think that because I am back logged in orders that I should never leave the shop. That's ridiculous. That would mean that I should also never take time out for family or friends either. I have been in business for 23 years and spend an average of 15 hours a day in the shop on the days that I'm in the shop. I never close my shop before 10pm. The winter months are pretty much 7 days a week and in the summer months I rarely work weekends.

I have no issues with either Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft. I have much respect for both of them. But keep in mind that neither of them Supply dealers world wide nor do they create new magic props other than coins for various creators. I create props in plastic, Metal and wood for people like Jay Sankey, David Blaine, Elmwood Magic, Paul Harris, Darryl Vanamburg, Kozmomagic, Garrett Thomas etc etc.

I receive a lot of positive emails weekly praising my workmanship and customer service and yet I am hurt to know that I have let many down so in no way do I pat myself on the back. I am sure that I lose business to Jamie and Todd I can honestly say that they also lose business to me as well. Will always be this way I'm sure

I can't tell you how many times I have stayed in a Hotel or eaten in a restaurant that had horrible reviews and had an amazingly good experience. No excuse for those places to have dissatisfied customers either but it happens.

I will not respond on the Café to each and every post and will not likely read much more on this thread. I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who have concerns or comments of constructive criticism to PLEASE contact me directly at roykueppers@rocketmail.com

Roy Kueppers
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
That is both facile and irrelevant.

It's not a matter of pleasing people; pleasing people would be including sweeties or chocolates with a timely delivery. The issue here is delivering at all. As a customer, being told that I'm being dicked around because the seller takes on more than they can chew is, actually, s**t. You can dress it up any way you want to, but business is business. If the seller can't handle the workload, then stop taking orders for $800 which you can't fulfil.

Not only that, but several instances have been cited of downright lying:

"I posted it last week."

Two weeks later:

"Would you like to pay for tracking?"

C'mon. Enough already with the Lincoln quotes, Abe deserves better than being linked to this tawdry thread.

Although, having said that, he failed at several professions, as I recall. Perhaps it is apposite, after all. Roy Kueppers for President?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Appearing at a convention is different than spending time with family. That's taking on more work when the current load is clearly too much to handle. If I owned a restaurant and had tables that had been waiting an hour for their food, it would be silly of me to walk onto the street and try to invite more business in. I should be back in the kitchen, fulfilling the orders I already have.

I know many craftsman attend conventions when there are still orders to be processed and shipped back at home, but the majority of those people also get their products out on time and as promised.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mysta-magic
View Profile
New user
CANADA
27 Posts

Profile of mysta-magic
Mr Craig Ousterling,
wll said and thank you !

Mr Zuber,
If you owned a restaurant, I can assure you that you would still have people hating your food and service even if you worked your hardest to please them all.

Mr tomsk192,
Sometimes confused or a bit unorganized with orders but never lying. Choose your words carefully.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Okay, Mr Kueppers. All I've got to go on is what has been shared in this thread. It's not a track record I'd be proud of. I've worked freelance for 22 years. I know the score. I don't really need to be careful legally, in what I've said, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's see if all these complaints transmogrify into praise.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
Roy Kueppers for President?

Once more, Roy Kueppers is Canadian, hello.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Oh, please, Laurie. It was in reference to a quote from Lincoln. It was not a serious suggestion. Hello? I'm English.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Perhaps, then, a nomination for Prime Minister would have been in order.

For those who'd like some info regarding Canada Post rates, here's a link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/f......ion=e1s1

Regarding registered mail, I've inquired in the past with Canada Post about using it for shipping parcels, and was declined. To the best of my knowledge, it can only be used for letters.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 12:35, Craig Ousterling wrote:
“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln

The actual quote is:
Quote:
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)  
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4904 Posts

Profile of videoman
I too honestly wish Roy the best in getting these poor business habits changed.
But there are many things in this thread that make me doubt that will happen.

1. Roy, why do you say that you will probably not check back much on this thread? I would rather hear you say you will check back often because you care about your reputation and want to know when people are having bad experiences.

2. Stephon Johnson made you aware of this thread on June 3, but you chose to ignore it for 3 moonths. Why give Stephon a liist of things to "pass along" to Café members instead of immediately addressing these issues yourself? That doesn't sound like someone trying to make things right, it sounds more like someone trying to make things go away.

3. Now that you have posted a couple times, I see mostly excuses and explanations why 95% of these issues are not really your fault. You've even indirectly blamed the customers for beinng too cheap to pay for tracking and insurance, so it's their own fault I guess. Most telling to me is you have yet to utter even a single apology for being unorganized and ignoring customers for almost a year. Rather than becoming defensive, you should be slobbering apologies all over every client whose money you were very quick to take, but who have never received their order from you.

4. I get the feeling you view this more as a bunch of whiny customers airing their dirty laundry in public and you don't seem too pleaased about it. IOW, other than mentioning a couple new rules you pllan to implement, you don't seem to feel that there was really much of a problem. At least you certainly haven't indicated to me that you accept much of the responsibility for your customers poor experiences.

5. I would like to see some of the folks who posted earlier about never receiving their orders, come back on and say Roy has contacted them and assured them they will get their stuff pronto. Hopefully that will happen very quickly, and if it does they should post it here publicly. But they should also follow up and let us know if Roy actually came through or not.

Hopefully Roy can get things worked out to everyone's satisfaction so this problem never happens again. But I've been in business a long time and from what I've seen in this case, I wouldn't count on it. But time will tell.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 19:35, magicalaurie wrote:
Perhaps, then, a nomination for Prime Minister would have been in order.

For those who'd like some info regarding Canada Post rates, here's a link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/f......ion=e1s1

Regarding registered mail, I've inquired in the past with Canada Post about using it for shipping parcels, and was declined. To the best of my knowledge, it can only be used for letters.

Erm, no. With reference to Lincoln, a Prime Ministerial joke would be wrong.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Roy,

I fail to see the benefit of any further words in response to posts on this thread, particularly when you acknowledge some problems and also some "confusion" in fulfilling your custom coin orders. The only response you could make with any potential benefit to you is action (in rectifying outstanding problems that you acknowledge exist) and to let your customers speak for you. No further response is necessary unless one of your customers or someone else posts something here that is untrue.

And as for your objection to my reference to Todd Lassen's business practices, perhaps you misread my post. My purpose in relating the fact that Todd has a strict rule that he will not take responsibility for lost mail (particularly in shipping to Europe and other locations that have been experiencing shipping issues) was to suggest that you could also establish such a rule in your dealings with buyers. I don't think that the differences between your business and Todd's business lessen that point at all. If you make your policy equally clear and stick to it, your buyers will have no reasonable objection if they decide not to insure their purchase. Thankfully, Paypal, as you note, is revolutionizing this area. Sometimes, attempting to please buyers by placing a false value for customs purposes only serves to create a land mine for yourself that may or may not blow up at a later date. Again, if you stop trying to please everyone and work to establish hard and fast rules based upon past experiences, there is no reasonable objection so long as your customers understand those rules in advance.

I remain interested to hear from your actual customers on this point (as opposed to those who object to how long you take or whether you are attending a convention or not). If you were factually inaccurate to a customer as to when or whether an item was mailed out, my only concern (in addition to whether the innaccuracies were intentional) would be whether you would make it up to that customer. If your records are such that you can't say for sure whether you mailed something out or not then unfortunately, the presumption goes against you, not your customer. For your sake, I am glad you are making efforts to fix this aspect of your business and I am perfectly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt while we are waiting for your customers to post their experiences here.

Stay well.

Alan
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
It is sad to hear stories of Roy Kueppers failing to please customers or failing to give customers their shipments delivered on time (or at all), but I would like to give my personal experience with Roy and his customer service. First off, I'd like to say that the two times I've placed orders with Roy (2012 june and 2013 june) I was in a hurry to get the gaffs. Roy managed to actually get the custom coins finished and delivered within 3 weeks for the first order. The second order had a minor delay due to some coins being out of stock for him to gaff with, but in the end I still received the order within 1 month. However, there were some items missing in the second order (matching regular coins, not gaffs). I am currently working on purchasing more items from Roy with addition to the missing items, which he will mail to me with the items I am ordering. Overall I am personally pleased with Roy's customer service. I've also called Todd Lassen and met Jamie Schoolcraft in person before and both of their customer service is also excellent (although I haven't actually ordered from them)

On a side note with regards to quality I am actually thinking about getting some of my friends gaffs from Todd and Jamie, and my gaffs from Roy Kueppers and taking a few pictures of them to post onto the Café for other Caférs to assess and try and guess which gaff belongs to which craftsman.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2662 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 19:28, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
Roy Kueppers for President?

Once more, Roy Kueppers is Canadian, hello.

Shouldn't 'Hello' go at the beginning of the sentence; rather than at the end?

There appear to be some quite strange people in Canada.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Roy Kueppers Query (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL