The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Roy Kueppers Query (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Lawrence,

I called Todd and told him what I wanted. He told me prices and I sent him some money. I called him and made some changes to my order along the way. We didn't talk about religion, other coin guys, or politics. We talked about his product and my purchase of it. I called him about 1 time each week after he said he would get my order out and he answered the phone, updated me on progress and I thanked him and hung up.

I am not sure how ordering from Todd went for anyone else but for me it was exactly as I described and what I expected from a custom craftsman. I suppose if you call him up and approach his ego (as in the psychological term) your experience may not be as pleasant as mine but from my experience that is the case with everyone.

Lawrence, I am not Todd Lassen. I am Shaun Sharpton. A street performer and magician. I know nothing of machining and stand a humble 5'11" with reddish brown hair. I am sorry that you have not had a pleasant experience dealing with Todd. Judging by the tone of your responses to a lot of people here on the Café I suspect this is a common occurrence in your social life.

I don't appreciate your attacking attitude in your above post. Why do you feel it necessary to be so rude because I simply relayed what my experience dealing with someone was? Just because it differed from yours doesn't make it false.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Well Shaun, I've had the same good experience dealing with Todd on probably 6 orders now.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Seriously what is up with everyone being so D@MNED RUDE to each other on here lately? Is it something in the coffee?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 12:30, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 22:52, Gr8gorilla wrote:
I will say that while I have never placed an order with Kuepers or Schoolcraft, ordering from Todd Lassen was a pleasure and as easy as picking up the phone and calling him at about 9am. He always answered the phone and took care of each request I had. He completed my order for a Morgan [ set with remilled edges, matching c/s coin and copper coin with a copper [ with each gaff shimmed, about a month and a half after I had paid him.

Todd wasn't stuck up and has great customer service. I will never know anything about any of the other coin guys because I will only ever order from Todd.

Are you Todd himself in disguise to deliver such blatant BS on his commercial practice?
Are you talking of the same Todd Lassen personality that most of us have experienced here or are you telling us that this Todd Lassen has decided (at last) to embrass some form of modesty?

Etienne, my experiences with Todd have also been very positive. I fail to see how it is blatant BS.

"...most of us have experienced here..."? Most of what I hear are the complaints about not replying to emails.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
manreb
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of manreb
My experience with Todd have always been top notch.. The last was exceptionsl. I called Todd on a Tuesday and tol hime that I had a set of soft 1817 Britis Crowns that I wanted an expanded shell made. He quoted me a price the following week I sent all six of the coins out. On Saturday I got a cll from Todd telling me the coins were on there way. I received the package on that Wednesday, so from the time I sent the coins to the time I received a gorgeous expanded shell set less then 7 days had elapsed. What more can be said. No I am not Todd Lassen, I have never met him. My dealings with him over the past 8 years have always been terrific. PS with Todd's workmanship and the finish on the coins he produces I don't think he needs to be modest.
attken
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of attken
Hi Thetrickman ,
I got same problem as you , just placed and paid an order(around $800) over one month.
Roy doesn't response me anymore about the progress of his work or when can he send the gimmick to me after I paid.
But he does reply other inquires if you wanna buy or intesting on other of his product.
I think at least a good dealer should have a response to his customers(already paid) ,no matter how you busy on work and this is basic attitude.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2033 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
In my opinion, nobody beats Lassen for workmanship...yes, I waited a while for the sets I ordered, but his skill and beauty of his work are second to none.
Not a shill, just a satisfied customer.
TheTrickman
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TheTrickman
I am really at odds as to making a statement of dissatisfaction but I am starting to get a bit worries whether I will ever get the product I spent a lot of money on.
When ordered back in December I was made well aware (by email) that it would take some time but now, in June, with no communication since April after numerous attempts I must say that my faith in the testimonials of other magicians is slightly shaken.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Seems more and more sellers have plenty of time to take your money, but take a lot of time getting your items out.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1594 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 18:03, TheTrickman wrote:
I am really at odds as to making a statement of dissatisfaction but I am starting to get a bit worries whether I will ever get the product I spent a lot of money on.
When ordered back in December I was made well aware (by email) that it would take some time but now, in June, with no communication since April after numerous attempts I must say that my faith in the testimonials of other magicians is slightly shaken.

The fact that Stephon Johnson was able to get in touch with Roy a couple of days ago leads me to conclude that your worry that you will never get your coins because of Roy's untimely death is ... premature. Long delays on special orders with our custom gaffers is not uncommon and I doubt that you will be successful in moving your order ahead of someone else by bugging, but if you are really concerned that your order has been lost in the shuffle, I would call Roy and remind him that you are patiently waiting and wanted to make sure you were not forgotten. He really is a nice guy to deal with.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
515 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Not only have I "been" able to contact Roy by phone; I literally just got off the phone with him about an hour ago. Roy gave me permission to repeat our conversation on this thread, and was appreciative that I would be willing to do so:
I asked Roy if he was a member of the Café and if he was aware of this thread or others like it. He said he is a member, but only comes on the site a couple time per year because he is just too busy. Customers waiting on orders would justifiably wonder why he had time to chat online anyway.
I conveyed some of the concerns that I've read here and Roy was genuinely concerned.
He said that his heart is very much in his product and his business. He only wants to provide the very best product and value for his customers. He hates hearing that anyone might feel he has taken their money and stiffed them in any way.
He has added new machinery and five workers to help out with various things and hopefully speed things up, but he cannot hire people to take orders or call customers because HE must be the person who PERSONALLY talks to the customer about their needs & questions. Since HE must be the person who makes the product, he cannot tie up valuable time on the phone (which I tried to make our call brief as well, I could feel you all poking me in the conscience for interrupting him! Smile ).
Because of the highly specialized nature of his work (and methods), to apprentice someone in these highly guarded trade secrets and skills is creating his own future competition (not to mention, if someone else makes it, it's not made by Roy Kueppers)! And because he wants to give customers personal service, answer their questions and advise them on their choices; he cannot hire someone else to take orders or handle the phone. But he DOES try to answer the phone, and he tries to answer emails - but admits he is inundated with emails and cannot respond to all of them (and some emails don't even make it to his mailbox that people swear they've sent). He wanted everyone to know that he is working as hard as he can to get every order complete, but that some orders just take longer and there is only one Roy and so many hours in a day. But to please call if you have issues or questions.
He said although some schedule issues are just inherent to the business and custom nature of the product, he doesn't mean to categorize ALL of them as that. He knows that some issues are his and he is willing to admit that.
He admits that he doesn't go looking for feedback in the Café or other threads, because it is very discouraging. But he said that the positive feedback from customers definitely outweighs the negative.
The main thing he wanted everyone to know, is that he DOES CARE deeply about his product, his quality and your satisfaction!
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
I always try to use PayPal when placing an order. If after several weeks you cannot get a reply to questions about your order PayPal gives you a 45 day window to file a complaint. If PayPal cannot get hold of the seller or reach some kind of understanding you can get your money back. Don't let things go for months, four to six weeks is long enough. There is no excuse for not staying in touch with your clients. Its part of the job as well as just being common courtesy.
TheTrickman
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TheTrickman
Thank you for that post Stephon, it is very much appreciated.

I originally went to Roy as I had heard his workmanship is excellent and when contacting him he did tell me up front the amount of time I could be expected to wait. None of this phased me what-so-ever. Getting a custom made prop for an effect is always going to take time and it is far better to have a well made item that you can rely on but takes time than an off the shelf number which isn't quite how you want it.
I am sure that when I get my order I will be very pleased with it. I just wish that the communication was present so I wouldn't have to worry that maybe my order had been lost or forgotten. A quick email saying "sorry it's been so long but I've been busy but your purchase will be ready in ....." every few weeks isn't too much to ask I wouldn't have thought.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
515 Posts

@ TheTrickman: I agree it would be nice to get the occasional email. But I take into consideration that it is basically a "one man operation". Mass communication isn't feasible because every order is different. That being the case, every single customer would require a personally prepared message from Roy. Unless he could dictate the message to someone while continuing to work, it would only make lead times increase on orders.
As I see it, I'm glad Roy is willing to offer his talents to us "regular guys" at a reasonable price. He could sell exclusively to Pros and creators, and likely do quite well. But he is handcrafting something just for me! That's like being able to call up a brewery and custom order a beer to your own personal taste.
I'm biased, perhaps because I am an artist. I've done portraits and other commissioned work that are custom and one-of-a-kind. Although I have received plenty of appreciative responses over the years, there's always the occasional attitude of "wow! It cost that much?" or "gosh, I needed it this weekend. I didn't know it would take 3-weeks!"
Our "drive-thru" society has conditioned us to have no patience or delayed gratification. Everything is marketed to us as "get it now!", "own one today", "no waiting!", "ships next day!" And we have lost what it means to have something crafted by hand, with care, skill, love, pride in workmanship and precision.
I am ordering Roy, realizing the careful, one at a time craftsmanship I am getting. I don't expect the updates and such that I get from a big operation that pulls stock from a shelf and ships it same day. I KNOW it is an artisan, himself who is doing all this because he loves his work.
If I ever order from Lassen, Schoolcraft or similar artisans, I will expect the same.
Does I make me comfortable? Not really, because I'm conditioned to how I get everything else in life that I buy. But this is not the same.
I have only called Roy 3 times in the past month. He has answers EVERY time I've called. I would recommend calling if you want to know something about your order.
attken
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of attken
I called Roy this morning and he answered me on the phone that he still working on my gaffed coin and may ship out next week or later .
Yes, we should call him directly to get the update if eMail doesn't not works.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1594 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 10:44, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Our "drive-thru" society has conditioned us to have no patience or delayed gratification...[W]e have lost what it means to have something crafted by hand, with care, skill, love, pride in workmanship and precision.
I am ordering [from] Roy, realizing the careful, one at a time craftsmanship I am getting. I don't expect the updates and such that I get from a big operation that pulls stock from a shelf and ships it same day. I KNOW it is an artisan, himself who is doing all this because he loves his work.
If I ever order from Lassen, Schoolcraft or similar artisans, I will expect the same.

Well put.
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
You can make excuses for artisans but the bottom line is they are running a business. Ignoring peoples emails for months is unacceptable. I realize that I'm the exception and not the norm but I have a hearing problem and CAN'T use the phone. I depend on emails. If your email address is on your website as a form of communication then *** it, communicate! If you can't do it, hire a temp!
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1490 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 13:29, wsgumby wrote:
You can make excuses for artisans but the bottom line is they are running a business. Ignoring peoples emails for months is unacceptable. I realize that I'm the exception and not the norm but I have a hearing problem and CAN'T use the phone. I depend on emails. If your email address is on your website as a form of communication then *** it, communicate! If you can't do it, hire a temp!

WS... you are not going to shake their resolve. Some folk just don't mind getting walked all over for the sake of being able to deal with "artists." I've gone round and round on this subject, only to find that some folk here warning me that my statements will eventually wind up appearing on one of these "Artists" blogs and I will be berated and ostracised just because I expect some level of customer service from a vendor.

My advice to you... do what I have started to do. If you have an interest in one of these products, let the Café members know about it on the for sale forums and/or wait until the item of your dreams show up for sale over in that forum. Bottom line... you get it cheaper, faster and hopefully with a smile from the Café seller.
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
I didn't realize my mild expletive would be unacceptable. I'll be more careful in the future.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
515 Posts

@Al Desmond: Hey Al, I would LOVE to buy all my custom gaff coins from the Café forum...BUT SOME GUY named "AL" keeps buying all of them out from under me before I even see the listing!! (How do you do it man?? Do you carry a laptop around with you all day???) hahaha! Absolutely joking with you Al, I just couldn't resist!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Roy Kueppers Query (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL