We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Starting out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of asgar
I want to add an escape act in my show.can you guys refer a suitable act for the beginners from the tarbell?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Keep it simple... Really Simple... I mean super simple...

Start with the "Kellar Tie." Easy to learn, fairly easy to master and simple enough to make a routine out of. Just don't use for a one shot. That is avoid, "hey I am tied up hey I am free." Make a routine out of it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMM... I think a mailbag escape is a good starter too
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thumb stocks
thumb cuffs
In again out again
Comedy tie while sitting
Thumb tie
Stocks of Zanzibar might be a good second escape.

A mail bag really? Right out of the gate? That's the first thing you recommend? What's the second, a water torture cell?
A new performer needs some experience to control the audience from looking while they're covered and that's not something they can usually handle. Really. a mail bag for the first escape. I don't know about you but whenever I'm covered I always hear talk from people that want to come-up and bust me.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Jay, I think Curtis was playing off the idea that asgar wants to add an escape to a pre existing show. I would certianly agree with you that the mailbag is not the best starter escape to learn, I would see it as possible if a magic show wants a strong closer.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Cliff, normally I would tend to agree with you, but if you look at Asgars query, and then at Curtis's you'll notice that the original question is quite specific. Asgar has never done escapes and wants to ADD AN (meaning one single) act to an existing NON-escapes act. Then we see Curtis recommending the mail bag as a "good starter". Horrible advice. Opinions based on real experience AND actual teaching/mentoring/apprenticing the art are respected.... like Jay's. I have nothing but to utmost respect for anything that man says.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 15:58, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Cliff, normally I would tend to agree with you, but if you look at Asgars query, and then at Curtis's you'll notice that the original question is quite specific. Asgar has never done escapes and wants to ADD AN (meaning one single) act to an existing NON-escapes act.

This is crazy remark and a failed attempt at trying to create an argument with me as you usually do...
He wanted to add an escape to his existing (magic) SHOW, so I assumed the gentleman had stage experience.
Also, I was speaking from the overall ease of the escape that is not too difficult or dangerous. I can not personally speak of any issues that Jay or Thegreatnippulini has had with their performance(s) with this escape. However, out of the hundreds of times that I have performed this escape, I have never had issue(s) with the audience coming up trying to bust me out, maybe it is due to my staging of the effect and over all personality I portray in my show. I tend to get my audience rooting for my success not for my demise. Again this is from my experience and not anyone else's.

I have performed this escape many ways, a good way to start off for the first few times is having a cloth over the mailbag and have people standing on each corner of the cloth. I have found that this keeps people from peeking and coming up.

Through time, I was able to re-stage this differently that even had a greater impact.

Also, Jay has made a few good suggestions as well as cliff.

Keep us posted on what you end up selecting.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks for the advices guys.I have utmost respect for the escape acts and have regrets that I am starting out this late.i am talking about my stage show,so unless I have someone from the audience at the stage during the escape,the peeking should be minimum.
I am looking at the beginner escapes or specifically the spirit ties and slip knots from Trabell but my target is mailbag escape.Simply because it is the only one affordable, easy to perform at this time and its something people are gonna talk about after the show.I am not looking for just an act ,I want to master the art.I am ready to go through time,physical and mental labor needed for that.In fact I always liked a little pain and thrill.So please give me some advices on resources and training.I downloaded some books on lock picking but never had the time to look at it before.Where should I start?I am already very thrilled.Thanks.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You should consider adding two escapes, of different sorts. Kellar and mailbag are complimentary, in that they have different approaches and goals.

Kellar is, in a way, in-your face, and usually played for comedy. It's interactive, and a good puzzle for the audience. There are a couple of handling issues that are easily learned in person, for which I've never seen adequate written instruction.

In the same vein, there's a simple out-and-in tie in the Burling Hull book (I think it's there) that involves a figure-8 configuration, and can be done with rope or chain. Thumb ties are usually used in the same way.

Siberian Chain is also in the same vein, but it's a bit more difficult to handle. If you lose the loop, your out-and-in speed is blown.

An advantage of the above, is that they can also be handled as Spirit Ties, where you are still bound at the end, and need to have someone get you out. For both comedy and seance-style value, this is great material, because you can play it all completely innocently, no clue in the world. I prefer playing them in full sight, though some folks like a cover of some sort.

Mailbag goes for the more mysterious approach, and can involve a greater number of volunteers. It requires cover, so if you used a sheet, spread over the top of you in the bag, you could have a vol stand on each corner of the sheet. I suppose you could also do this as an out-and-in, reaching out from under the sheet to grab vols by the ankle.

If you were wrapped in chain, before entering the bag, you could bring out each end of the chain, and bind each of two vols ankles, which would be a nice plot complication. But then, when they looked, you'd still be in the bag.

I would not recommend doing both escapes as out-and-ins. It's thematically too much of the same thing.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Recommended reading:
http://trickshop.com/rope-chain-box-escapes-grant.html
http://trickshop.com/rope-ties-chain-releases.html
http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=......l&p=6312

If you can find a copy of Burling Hull's "Gold Medal Showmanship" (good luck), there's a good section on showmanship for the escape artist.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
Gimmicked straight jacket?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 14:17, james_unlimited wrote:
Gimmicked straight jacket?

What's one of them......never herd ( Smile ) of one of thoes! Smile!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Starting out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL