The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » How do you fly with illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slough Illusions
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
53 Posts

Profile of Slough Illusions
I am going to an evangelism conference in Az. They are flying me in from Oklahoma. I have all my things so they can fit in one suitcase. My question is...how do you get all the stuff through security?
I realize the obvious answer is to not take things they may freak out about...but was curious if anyone had a "trick" to get it through?
Walden
View Profile
New user
Eastern Oklahoma, where my fence has but
59 Posts

Profile of Walden
Bring your wand and make the worrisome apparati disappear at security and reappear on the other side!
Walden
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Are you using it as carry on or as checked luggage? If going as checked luggage type on a piece of paper that you are a magician & what the contents are. Hopefully nothing banned! If carry on, just discuss it with security before going through. Doing a quick effect may help you as well.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Agreed! when I am being flown to a show I ship my illusions via a carrier so that they don't go on the plane with me.

I do however always have a carry on bag with a 30 minute pack small play big show.

I always tell them I am a magician and if you see anything unusual feel free to check it out or let me show.
for instance they always want to look at the appearing cane cause on a video scan it looks like a grenade.
I always demo it for them and many times they say "do it again" LOL

the key to traveling with your props is making them aware of what you have and who your are (a magician)

rarely have I ever had a problem

however once and this was weird.
I was traveling by plane and had just bought a mini set of tools that included scissors, screw drivers and a few other things. as well as I had my snow storm routine with me and the snow globe I use too.

the confiscated the snow globe but let me keep the tools!! YUP our airlines are well protected and safe YIKES!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Slough Illusions
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
53 Posts

-Walden- Might need to sneak in earlier to set up the magical moving bag. Maybe a nice puff of smoke or fog machine for production sake. Haha

-Mark-Thanks I will try the letter and carry on idea. Thanks for your input. I was planning on having a carry on with some back up stuff just in case my bag didn't make it. (Have heard horror stories)

-Sam- For some reason I never thought of shipping it myself. Sounds like a safer alternative. I have been reading about what is allowed to be checked in. I found out no liquids at all...not even bottled soap will make it through. Thanks for telling your experince, it will save me a lot of time.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Slough: Which is stupid...you can now carry on a pocket knife, but not a bottle of shampoo over 2oz. "Stop this plane...or I'm gonna wash your hair" <shudder>. LOL Smile
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Right that is why they took the snow globe but let me keep the tools! the liquid in the snowglobe was the "danger"

good call mr TSA person.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
That's what happens when we let the government nose in on the purvue of private business. ALL common sense (which is NOT common in government) goes out the window.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Slough Illusions
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
53 Posts

Thanks again for the info you guys. I don't fly out till August so I still have plenty of time.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
It might be wise to go to the Airport from which you plan to fly and go over some of your stuff with them if you still plant to check it. The EASIEST and safest method, as someone already mentioned, is to ship it ahead. Double check, however, that it arrived...otherwise you could be in for a rude surprise!

Also, I would check online to see if there are any brick and mortar magic shops anywhere near where you are going, just in case you need last minute emergency supplies.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
When I fly to gigs or ministry events, I will place in my carry-on all the magical items that will not raise a concern, Ropes, silks, spongeballs, table-drapes, changebag larger flash-card effects and my axtell puppets, etc. If it's soft or made of fabric, I've never had an issue.

If I am doing a 1 or 2 day event, I pack the rest in a HARDSIDE suitcase and check it. Plan to use a HARDSIDE suitecase(s). It will also help if at all possible to fly DIRECT rather than having a layover or 2. This ensures a DIRECT route for your luggage as well.

If I am doing a multi-day event (longer than 2 days... Kids Camp, Multi-day outreach, etc... and I have a lot of equipment) I will ship it, insured and guarenteed to arrive with a trusted party several days prior to the event.

When shipping stuff ahead, I keep a list of the routines for each show/presentation and the items from that routine shipped ahead of time. In this way, if the box(es) don't arrive in time, I can go thru the list, edit or change the routines based on the stuff I can get my hands on at a Brick and Mortar shop, borrowed from another local magician or concocted from items bought at Walmart, Office Depot, Dollar Tree, etc.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Great advice, as always, Jamie!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I think I read that Jamie is going to be a contributor to "Grand Illusion" magazine/ADVANCE section- Congrats!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Before coming to the USA for the FCM in 2008 and 2012 I got some embroidered polo shirts made with my magic name, magic logo (front and back) and UK flag prominent on my red sleeve

I also put a polo shirt above my props so as soon as they open the bag they see it

this saved a lot of hassle at check-in, except on the transit in Chicago last year where I had to demo my props for them
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
That's only because they wanted a free show! Smile
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 15:36, MagicBus wrote:
I think I read that Jamie is going to be a contributor to "Grand Illusion" magazine/ADVANCE section- Congrats!

I believe Duane is planning to start using some of the material from my latest lecture notes. He sat in on both of the lectures I gave (part 1 & 2 of my notes). He liked the material, so we traded a few things around and he asked if he could use the routines for the magazine (this was in September of 2012 before the Magazine was introduced to the fraternaty). I told him that I would do anything for the new magazine.

So, I am honored and grateful that he wants to use some of my routines. Duane is like a mentor to me and I appreciate all that he is doing to make gospel magic quality and excellent. If you've not subscribed, you need to make it one of your expenses to furthering your magical education.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Let me give one more piece of advice when flying to locations with your props or equipment:
Upon landing at your desitnation and once you have your luggage... and if you have time... Open your luggage and do a quick inspection of props to see if anyting is missing/damaged or both. In this way, you will be able to make a quick list of the items to be replaced or repaired. This will determine where you should stop before getting to your hotel or the venue. Even if you cannot replace/repair it before getting to your venue, it will give you time to be mentally prepared and thinking of what you should pull from your back-up items (that you no doubt included in your carry-on) to use.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Plus it would give you time to file a claim with the airline so THEY can replace your broken props.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
HahaahaHA LOL file a claim so they can replace your props! hahahahaha that's a good one right there mike that's a good one.
heck they put a forklift blade right thru my road case and I spent over a year trying to get them to to replace the case and fix the prop.
there were so many pieces of paper work to file and refile that after 4 years I gave up!!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yikes...sorry to hear that, Sam. Hence the reason so many of the top dogs have semis and tour buses, I guess.

Me, I got my 2008 Chevy HHR and a Home Depot stainless steel tool box! Smile

As I work with Dick Oslund on designing my first full-length stage show, my goal is to fit my ENTIRE show (minus tables) into a large Rubbermaid storage container.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » How do you fly with illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL