The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is this prop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I got this in an estate sale. You drop the block in the top of the tube, and can see it through the cut out opening. Then you slide that stick through the block, locking it in place, but can still turn the tube upside down and dump the block out.

It's a VERY clever mechanism, I love this prop. I'm going to start using it in my shows and will be performing it for the first time today. But I'm curious as to the history. What is it called? Who made it? And while I have my own routine for it written, what routine did it come with?

If anyone is familiar with this thing, I'd appreciate the information!
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
The image was too big ... trying again!

Click here to view attached image.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3390 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
That would be the "Vampire Block Escape".
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Cool - I will google that. THANK YOU!
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
(And I used it in a show yesterday and it went GREAT. It was nice to see that, and it'll be awesome to know a bit more about what it is!)
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
That was some interesting reading. This is definitely that trick but the release is mechanical instead of magnetic, and the ones I see all have something to palm off while this one doesn't. On the other hand, the other ones are examinable (as the "thing" is palmed off and gone) where this one isn't examinable as the "thing" is built into the wall of the tube.

All VERY interesting reading, and mostly just fascinating to see the different ways to solve the same problem!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The one you have is the original version.

There are others that do not have anything that needs to be palmed off or any internal mechanism at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is this prop? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL