The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Vacation Bible School (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smores7777777
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of smores7777777
My name is Rosario Camuglia, I'm 20 Years old. I am running a Vacation Bible School at my church. My main story line for the week is Moses. But I am looking to incorporate some Gospel Magic for entertainment and preaching. Right now I have a couple ideas such as a change bag to teach the wordless book, many 1 rope tricks I know, juggling for fun, changing colors with bleach and food coloring to teach the power of Jesus' blood, balloon animals just for the fun of it, and maybe some other fun rope tricks. I personally do coin magic for hobby, but right now I am looking for maybe some illusions that I could do while the parents are present. If you have any ideas to teach the story of Moses or any little fillers?

PS. I am working on a low budget, not super low, but I can spend more than $150.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
Perhaps use slush powder to symbolize Moses parting of the Red Sea???
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Professor's Nightmare rope trick (equal/unequal ropes) to teach that even though we are all different, in God's eye's, we are the same. You should be able to find instructions online, or in Tarbell.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
In and Out Rope Escape to illustrate how we can be set free from our sin.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Will you have the story of Moses tie into Jesus? You can talk about Moses bringing down the ten commandments, have the ten commandments written on two big pieces of paper. Talk about how we broke each of them, and tear the papers after mentioning each commandment we have broken. Then talk about Jesus, God's Son, and how He came not to abolish the ten commandments, (folding up all the pieces) but to fulfill them, then restore the pieces into one piece of paper that has the word LOVE written on it. He fulfilled them by LOVING us so much that He was willing to pay the penalty for our transgressions.

You can then follow it up with what it means to Love Jesus using the same piece of paper with the word LOVE written on it, folding it up, putting it into a change bag, or other prop that works the same way, and turn it into a picture of Jesus on the cross, ending with, "There is no greater LOVE than the love Jesus showed by dying on the cross so that we may be forgiven of our sins, and have everlasting life. (the audience might think you just turned the picture around so turn the picture around to show the other side which shows an empty cross with the words, "He is not here. He has risen!"
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Slough Illusions
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
53 Posts

Profile of Slough Illusions
Any particular passages? For example this is what I did with this passage as a evangelistic message (its an idea you can tweak for your own personality and style):

Exodus 7:8-13
8Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying,9“When Pharaoh speaks to you, saying, ‘Work a miracle,’ then you shall say to Aaron, ‘Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh, that it may become a serpent.’”10So Moses and Aaron came to Pharaoh, and thus they did just as the LORD had commanded; and Aaron threw his staff down before Pharaoh and his servants, and it became a serpent.11Then Pharaoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers, and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did the same with their secret arts.12For each one threw down his staff and they turned into serpents. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs.13Yet Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he did not listen to them, as the LORD had said

In this case I used a Wand to snake illusion, a couple of balloons, a TT, and a Torn and Restored Heart.

Have a parent(one that you know will take a joke) come down and help you. Make a Pharaoh hat (I made mine out of a balloon and have the parent wear it but you can use anything) and ask them to help with the illustration by being Pharaoh. Maybe even joke with them asking if they "rule their household". Then tell the parent you are going to ask them: "Pharaoh can you let my people go" they are supposed to tell you: "Nope Im not listening" in their best Pharaoh impression(let him/her practice it a few times for everyone and have the crowd encourage them).

When practice time is over... and it comes time to say their line: "nope I am not listening" (hopefully they play along if you picked the right person)...Then you make the snake appear from the wand in the volunteers general direction (If you keep it hidden good enough it might startle them as well as everyone else)...drop it real quick and act scared yourself( it will add to the comedy). After everyone is done laughing tell everyone to clap for the parent that helped. Then tell the rest of the story of how Moses snake ate the other snakes(I used a TT routine with a white cloth with snakes drawn on it and make them disappear)you can use this opportunity to talk about how God is stronger than anything the enemy might throw at us.

Then end with a Torn and Restored heart routine. Talk about how pharaoh hardened his heart toward what Moses and Aaron had to say. We do this all the time by letting sin harden our hearts(give a few examples of sins and what sin is and tear a few pieces of the heart)but are given new life(restored heart) when we put our faith and trust in what Jesus did on the cross for our sins.
smores7777777
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of smores7777777
I am overwhelmed of all the ideas that I have been given through Private Messages, Email, and Right here. I love them all! This place helps me so much! I always get lots of responses that are very helpful. Thank you so much. I think I am going to write down all of these ideas in a Bible lesson book or something. Then I can always go back to them. I will definitely be using these. Danny I like your idea, I think I will use that on day one of VBS. I was already planning on using Professors Nightmare Rope trick on day 4 I believe. Then someone emailed me something I think I will use for the rest of my life! My focus is more on the Exodus so I Probably can't stay too long on Pharaoh. But I shall add those other ideas to my inventory and Thank You guys so much for how encouraging you are.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Tim Sonefelt "Wonder Imagery" does a nice Moses silk and Lucky 7 trick.

http://www.timsonefelt.com/store_product......estament

http://www.timsonefelt.com/store_product......_7_Set_2

You CAN buy a wand to snake (but that's not me.)

You can also make the ten commandments appear on a pillar using the technique from the Choices tree in "The magic of thinking Creatively" by Barry Mitchell (available on ebay etc).
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
smores7777777
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of smores7777777
Vacation Bible School was last week! It went great...had about 30 children each night! Thank you for all of your input and help with this subject!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
What did you end up doing?
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I also would love to hear how you used your magic during V.B.S.

My wife is truely a loyal and trusted servant of our Lord.

Our church invited some children from a nearby apartment.

Did you have any of the kids step forward to confess their faith?

Several of the kids new to our church did so.

love brother Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Ideas my wife developed for VBS were awesome.

I tried out one during a Church program yesterday.

Annie had a poster of putting on the armor of God.

She also purchased a child's size set including the helmet, sword..etc, etc, etc.

Though not magic, it was a great photo op for parents, grandparents and church photographers. The good news can be shared not just through illusions, but testimony, song and _______.

love brother Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Did anyone ever see the Cartoon from Family Circus- the little girl was sayng her Prayers -"now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep - if I die befor I wake - Could I have Breakfast with Jesus? Beautiful - Ralph.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
That's an "aw" moment.

Beautiful and priceless!

Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter show, and those letters to God from kids books/emails.

love brother Harris aka dr.laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Vacation Bible School (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL