The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » The Dark Side: A Society Without Cash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Here is something to think about. Mind you, I'm just throwing this out there to get a feel for how most guys feel about this, especially those who's repertoire is heavily dependent upon effects using paper currency.

Now first, from the get go, here, please understand that this is an entirely hypothetical situation, ok? I'm not going to run around yelling that the sky is falling, but I want to be clear that this is just a "what if" scenario, ok?

OK. I've heard talk among various circles and in my reading, concerning a coming "cashless" society; a society where all paper money (and coinage, for the coin guys) would be done away with. A "new system" would replace our current cash system, and cash would go the way of the proverbial dinosaur.

My question is: How would you react, how would you feel, what would you DO, if suddenly, overnight your act was obliterated? Think of all the years, the blood sweat and tears you've invested in mastering this branch of magic, then suddenly you could no longer say to someone "Can I borrow a dollar bill?"

I've got to say, for me personally it would STING like a sharp slap in the face. Ouch! Years of my life invested in learning and practicing bill effects and untold  sums of (ahem. CASH) money invested over the years suddenly down the crapper. My torn and restored bill gone. All my favorite bill changes? History. My pen through bill? Irrelevent.

I'd have to say it sucks. (Or at least it WOULD if it ever happened.

But you may disagree. You may be the kind who easily adapts and says "Not a problem. I'll just do cards from now on."

I don't know. Everyone's different. I'm just trying to get a feel for how different guys would react if this ever occured in America. (Or other countries, for that matter.

Again, the sky is not falling. I'm just speaking hypothetically in this post.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Fortunately I am older than dirt, so your scenario won't have a chance to affect me.

That said, the banks sure are pushing toward something very much like what you posted. Remember the recent commercials that showed people streaming quickly through checkout lines at various stores using debit cards, and when someone wants to pay with cash it slows everything down to a crawl and everyone looks very annoyed with the stupid, crusty old cash user? Pitiful.

Jim
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
What to do during a major weather crisis, flood, etc. and power goes out for hours, days or weeks. Your banks computer system is down, etc. How will you buy gas, food, etc. I'm not a 'happy camper' about this, though I do believe it will happen in the not-so-distant future.
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
It wont affect me at all, I have been without cash for years Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
It could happen, but I don't think it will be in my lifetime.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I often have a hard time finding someone with a dollar bill to do a bill change.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
You could still do tricks with cash, one would just have to rewrite their scripts, easy enough.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Al, you mean you're finding more and more people carrying plastic and shunning paper currency in their wallet?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
We have almost become a society without cigarettes and cigars, once the main focus of almost every magician's repertoire. Even if the cigars and cigarettes aren't gone and forgotten, it is forbidden to have them in many venues where magicians perform. What did we do? We adapted. That's what humans always do in response to changing environments- or they become extinct if they cannot adapt. Today, I use the old cigarette and cigar sleights for crayons, pens and pencils, and other items. The sleights are not lost, just the former objects. You can use bill sleights with paper receipts, pieces of cut up construction paper, parking tickets, etc. You don't like it? Either go extinct, or find a substitute.

The old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket" applies to the magic world as well as the real world... even when all the eggs become powdered.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah. They say even newspapers are on the way out. So much for the Anderson Newspaper tear.

Heck. So much for Gene's whole act. ( If he's still performing)
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
On the other hand, I'm working on a torn and restored i-Pad...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Maybe you could do like the old classic broken and restored watch. (If you are familiar with it)
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
So far it's more like a sawing in half, then in quarters using a battery powered saw, all of which will probably be obsolete before I can get the trick to market.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
It will easily be another 50yrs before newspapers and cash are gone.
There's nothing to worry about in the remainder of your short life.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
It's kind of like doing a trick with an old silver dollar, english penny, 2 dollar bill...etc...it doesn't have to be "used" to be performed with - just swapped out for a normal one and talked about presentationally as some old artifact.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Magicians have adapted in the past. We'll continue to adapt. If you have enough knowledge and experience, you will have no trouble adapting. I've already considered what I would do without cash and I'm prepared to make make changes. Luckily, there would be plenty of time to switch, after we knew the change was coming.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Wow - now I'm really worried.

And just what are we going to do when sponge balls are no longer carried around by everyone on a daily basis? Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
.......I hope the 50,000+ members help it not happen by carrying and using cash every day. Cashless is a very bad idea; don't let them do it. I think the world will at some point go back to precious metals after a big fiat currency crash.

One thing I do is carry one of those bill-testing pens around and if the cashier tests my bill, I test all of the ones in the change - no matter how small. Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
"It wont affect me at all, I have been without cash for years "
That's great, you really made me laugh with that.

Quote:
On 2013-05-30 16:14, jimgerrish wrote:
We have almost become a society without cigarettes and cigars, once the main focus of almost every magician's repertoire. Even if the cigars and cigarettes aren't gone and forgotten, it is forbidden to have them in many venues where magicians perform. What did we do? We adapted. That's what humans always do in response to changing environments- or they become extinct if they cannot adapt. Today, I use the old cigarette and cigar sleights for crayons, pens and pencils, and other items. The sleights are not lost, just the former objects. You can use bill sleights with paper receipts, pieces of cut up construction paper, parking tickets, etc. You don't like it? Either go extinct, or find a substitute.

The old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket" applies to the magic world as well as the real world... even when all the eggs become powdered.

I think the issue goes beyond finding another piece of paper to do a switch, T&R, Penetration.. with. Money is so personal and special to people. Very often after I do a bill change, people ask if that is real money. That question always seems a little odd to me (why would it matter, it CHANGED!); but I think their question reflects their belief that this could not be done with real money. Similar to what I've heard said about magic for young children. They may not be impressed if you can make a coin appear from an empty box, but if you make it appear from their ear, they are VERY impressed. Why, because they know their ear doesn't normally work that way. So substitute their "ear" for their "dollar".

So, I think we would loose not the effect, but the impact.

Yet, it is my belief, that by the time we can not buy things except via some identification system (to credit our account electronically), we will have much bigger things to be concerned about.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » The Dark Side: A Society Without Cash (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL