The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Looking for somthing different (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Hey,

I'm looking at adding a new element to my show and being an animal lover it only seems to be the next logical step for my act. But the problem I'm having is I have a very dark gothic look to my act and I want to do somthing diffrent not just you usaul dove act. I thought about bats but after consulting a zoologist friend of mine found that would be pretty freaking hard to do. So I thought I would ask for your suggestions as do what might work. (oh and spiders are out of the questions considering I'm deathly afraid of them) but anything eles is game.

Thanks,
Josh
Traylen
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Traylen
Mice or Rats. Chris Angel used them in one of his outdoor shows. Those are "freaky" well I think they're cute, but they might go with your gothic style.

Just my 2 cents.
What the eye sees, the ear hears, the mind believes.
-Harry Houdini
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
A python (or any large constrictor such as an anaconda) can be different, scary and gothic enough to suit your style. If you’re performing for children or family audiences, producing a python can also produce at least 5 minutes of non-stop screaming.

As an animal lover, you won’t find many opportunities to accidentally hurt a python. Of course, pythons are not human lovers and won’t probably reciprocate your love. You have to train it so it won’t kill and eat you.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Before you decide to use a Python (Boa or any snake) check out the threads here by Snakebabe. They are not maintenance free animals. In fact there have been discussions on just about every critter you can imagine here. Check them out.

You can use mina birds and/or crows. They are black and fairly smart for birds. Banty roosters are colorful (but stupid) and can be used for a Voodoo routine.

Then check out “runts” a breed of pigeon. They are huge (two foot wingspan) and come in colors. Most people cannot tell what they are. Heck, call it a falcon and 90 percent of your audience won’t know the difference. The beauty of Runts is they are as easy to train as a dove, docile, hearty, and BIG!

If you have a nice fierce looking dog (like a British Bulldog, the friendliest breed of dog available but perhaps the fiercest looking) you could add spike collars and a bit of makeup to make them a Hell Hound!

Any animal even a white dove could be made to fit your Goth character. You need only find the storyline and proper presentation. Me? I would take a white dove and put it through all kinds of convolutions, say using a La Paloma prop (a dove guillotine), a Dove Ziz-Zag, a wringer box, etc. The dove would always survive my evil machinations (good always wins over evil).

I would change the dove to a serpent (snake) or maybe a crow/raven at one point only have it change back to a dove by the end of the act.

I guess what I am saying is that it is not the animal that will make the act Goth or dark it’s the routine!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I think Harry's onto some good ideas with creating an act with the good over evil. As corny as I think dove levitations are one might fit in with this idea and style. There have been many people who have done gothic animal acts, more notibly Criss Angel and Jonathan David Bass back in the day before he went more Matrix. You should becareful though when chosing your effects and to make sure that the audience can tell the difference between what is hurting the animal and what is not. What I mean is make sure they know it is just an illusion/part of the trick and that you're not harming the animal in any way. There's a user on here I met when I was working the Castle, I think his name is Gothic on here, he is a more gothy performer and may help you out. Just remember to be yourself and don't take ideas of others then change them a bit and call it original. That's not what originality is, draw inspiration from what you like and not from what you've seen others do already. Good Luck!

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I do a bit of shock comedy with my doves.

I produce a live dove (rather standard newspaper production following a torn and restored newspaper).

It flaps it’s wings and I finger walk it a couple of times before I put the dove in a box with a cage front and do yet another trick. Later, I take the dove out of the box/cage and openly fold it up and put it into my pocket.

I simply use a small homemade version of a standard dove to rabbit box and switch my live dove for a Nielson Latex one. The box is way smaller as it only has to hide one dove. The illusion is perfect.

I know that it seems like a lot of work for a little effect but it does get a shock and a laugh. I later reach into my coat and take out another live dove. You talk about the easiest dove production, reach into the dove pocket and take out the dove. When it comes out alive and flapping I always get a nice reaction and applause.

Two doves, a rubber dove, a switch box, one dove harness (newspaper), one invisible dove harness and one dove pocket (the newspaper production is from the sleeve) and a newspaper all add up to a nice, magical, funny, and different dove routine. But that’s just me.
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I really like the Idea of using a bird theres just a kind of mystic about them on stage that I like. do you know where I might be able to find some information on acquiring Mina birds, crows(I thought they were illegal to own?), or runt pigeons. cuase other wise I'm thinking I'm going to go with a plain white dove or a dark frost dove since they're so easy to get.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
A Black Palm Cockatoo is a very weird and strange looking bird if you can afford one. They are quiet, friendly and trainable but expensive. It is black with red cheeks and a weird crest. They do look so magical, strange and gothic.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Yeah, 10 grand is just a hare out of my price range Smile. but your right They do look amazing maybe one day.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
An alligator... a humongous, snapping, thrashing, man eating, starving, tempermental, bloody mouthed alligator.

Cheers and sign me up for front row.

OK let's get on with the show.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Crows are not illegal to own in general (each state in the USA seems to have some fairly strict regualtions about owning one), but there are strict regulations for owning one. That goes for hawks, owls, vultures (yes I once briefly owned one), ravens, and most birds of prey.

For crows and ravens check out:

http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/breeders.html

For Runts and other pigeons check out:

http://www.smslofts.com/

You will have to check the exotic bird breeders and sales sites for the Mina birds, toucans, Macaws, etc.

For Python breeders check out:

http://www.pythonsforsale.com/breeder.htm

I did find a couple of Black Palm Cockatoos (a breeding pair) but the price for a pair caused me to faint!

If you really want to check the price of pet variety Black Palm Cockatoo then try:

http://www.bopahi.com/Avail.htm

I haven’t a clue about getting an Alligator!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-12-02 13:18, Harry Murphy wrote:
I haven’t a clue about getting an Alligator!

Ooops! sorry I provided a beautiful solution without means of accomplishing it.

Ya'll can contact Don or Elaine of Florida over here:

http://www.traderdon.com/livegator.html

He currently has some youngin' 'gators that make great stocking stuffers - well until they chew their way out.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Randy, Thanks for that link! Wow! Who would have thunk! The ‘gators are fairly inexpensive. Hummmmmm…my little pea brain is cooking and scheming on how to use one of these neat critters! I wonder what my iguana would think about having a buddy?
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Awesome thanks for all the help, I went to a couple of exotic animal breeders in my area today and got some good Ideas. I think a Gator would be awesome if they stayed nice and small and didn't run the risk of killing me or my assistant at any point.

After looking around today I got some ideas I'm conisdering a few right now, I looking at Parrolets(I think I misspelled it) a cobolt lovebird (it blue and black) or doves. What are your opinions about those.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Parrotlets and lovebirds are hard to train. They also bite hard. I have some budgies who also bite so hard. Smile
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL I was in the pet store yesterday and I got bit by a parrot and snapped at by a lovebird. Haha, what a coincidence.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Right you are Jusin. I grew up with parrots (mom's passion not mine!) and I had my share of negative encounters with most of them. My hands still have a few scars to prove it. Lord those yellow heads can bite hard!
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Ouch, I wonder how people can train them.. it seems like their natural instinct is to bite.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Oh I forgot to mention that once these birds become attached to their owners they can be very distrustful of others. Either that or they are being protective of their owners. And don't forget that once a parrot is attached to a female owner, they rarely trust men. Or at least that rule applied to the birds in our family. They all adored my mother and couldn't wait to tear me to pieces. Consequently I was the "bad guy" in their eyes. Isn't that just bizarre. Thus the battle scars on my hands.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
It’s a huge investment in time and money to do a bird act. Now if you want to do a “Gothic” bird act you may only be performing on Halloween and for Free at Gothic or Rocker Clubs. I would do a more classical dove act but with a little touch of “goth”.

For example do pure invisible harness productions like dove splits, dove from fire, dove levitation, torn and restored dove, dove resurrection, etc. Stay away from dove from silk since everyone is doing them.

If your show is classical you’ll be working more often. The vampire-gothic magic show has been done just ask Loren Christopher Michael’s. Or find another angle besides Goth.

If you do a full gothic attire, pale face, eyeliner act, all magicians will say that your are imitating Criss Angel. You’ll always be in his shadow. Regular people will see you as a freak and not a skilled performer.

Personally even though I am Mr. Goth Boy I do mostly habla espanol shows in Los Angeles. 90% of my shows are in Spanish and I have a Mexican motif to my act and I do the big festivals and Spanish TV. I also work for Spanish Corporations and Sponsors. But sometimes I do the “Goth” magic show when I work with a certain circus sideshow in Hollywood. But my Goth act is funny.

Stick with white doves and have a final production of some type of black bird. White doves stand out more when you are dressed in black, plus they cost less money.

Also buy Dan Sperry aka Sperris on this Café and get his Extreme Dove Magic tape. Dan is dressed with a touch of punk rock and that reflects in his clever productions and tricks with doves. He promised me a tape but I never got one but when I saw him live at the Castle I was impressed by his act and I have seen many and know many of the Top dove workers.

G0THIKE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Looking for somthing different (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL