We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Chain wraps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Dave, I'm pretty sure most of us 'Yanks' have a deep appreciation for Monty Python. They're considered classics here. I can walk up to almost any group of people and say "it's only a flesh wound" and laughter ensues.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well in that case I apologise I was believing a stereotype ..... A little like some believe their own BS publicity material!

Now I'm off to appease my wife with another bush ...... I mean shrubbery! "I will place it next to the other one, but slightly higher so we get a nice two tier effect!"

They are indeed classic. I'm trying to remember if anyone ever gets chained up (trying to bring it back on topic).
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Bit of trivia:
At the opening scene of MP & the Holy Grail, as Arthur 'rides' from the mist, you can see, at right, a 'breaking wheel' atop a pole, with the tattered, skeletal remains of 'the condemned' tied to it.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cool will check it out ..... Always good to watch more MP.MP being Monty Python and not to be confused with Member of Parliment - wouldn't want to watch them!

Anyone know why / how the breaking wheel came about? Or a trustworthy source for info?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
It was a common execution method for murderers throughout Europe, taking two basic forms: the Germanic and Latin procedure. Its origins go back to at least the Roman Empire.
If you REALLY want the gruesome details, PM me.
- Albert Camus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Are talking about the bone breaking one?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_wheel

today is just as fun as in the past, torture is still on the books.

will man never learn??
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
YIKES!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Great link Ian. It worries me how many countries still think Capitol Punishment is ok. What's worse is among the countries considered less "developed" or "civilised" by many, the USA is sadly part of that list.

Drives me mad.

Especially when so many are fighting against things like same-sex marriage, yet are perfectly fine with killing a fellow human in the name of "justice".

....... Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I love it when people share bits of history about past EAs and magicians. Especially ones who's names are still very much known by the masses... Or at least should be.

It makes me wonder how many of us around today will be spoken about fondly once we're gone. If we're judged by what's said here I bet it'll be very few, if any.

With regards to chain wraps, what is it you're wanting to do? I've only really used chain in the same way as I'd approach a 100' rope and so I just let the audience members go to town. Having a structured wrapping process always seems unnecessary to me. I also dislike using chain on top of things like a straitjacket. It adds time to the binding process and in most performances I've seen it used this way it slows the whole thing down too much.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ross this will get your nickers in a twist then........

The last person to be beheaded by the guillotine in France was in September 1977! France abolished the death penalty in 1981!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Roslyn,

Looking for chain wraps concepts for water escapes. I don't care for the X look. I think I need to get a lighter weight chain that is longer. I like the idea that the audience wraps the chain around me, but I think the movement of the jump in the pool will make it fall down, if its not done correctly. I guess, I could start out with an X type of form and then let the audience wrap the chain....
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hold your wrists in front of you and have the cahin wrapped around them. Then bring your hands to you chest and get the chain wrapped over your shoulders. (NOT AROUND YOUR NECK!) Later in the wrap return to your shoulders, or lock to them. The chain should not fall off spontaneously unless you make certain awkward moves.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Dave, I didn't know it was as late as '81 that France abolished Capitol Punishment. But at least they did abolish it.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Cliff,
The issue with that.....
My hands cuffed and chained to a concrete block...

Photo ref
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......7&type=1

My fav photo from that escape:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

and a different event
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a......3&type=3
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry why not round the neck? I ALWAYS have a loop round my neck with lock in front - it's not tight but it is round my neck. I WON'T go round my lower legs though. Don't want people touching my oh so very NOT sexy legs.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 12:20, Roslyn wrote:
Dave, I didn't know it was as late as '81 that France abolished Capitol Punishment. But at least they did abolish it.

I find it quite 'scary' (not as in argh spiders I'm scared .... But maybe disturbing) that some one was executed via guillotine since I was born in 1975. Seems barbaric in a way?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
When I was a kid in California, they still had the gas chamber.
In Ohio, "Old Sparky" (the state's electric chair) was still operating until lethal injection replaced it.
I hope to see capital punishment end in my state (and ultimately the nation as a whole).
I'm not holding my breath though, Ohio has a lot of staunch, pro-death-penalty elements.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dave, the guillotine is a beautiful machine. I saw an interview with an executioner which might have been for the event your speak of. The blade was shown, still in its leather case( it was brought to the machine on the day) it weighed 32 Kg. (?) [seems a bit heavy]

It is said the head is still alive for about 1.5 seconds after removal. Still quicker and less painful than gassing and electrocution. I’d just hate it if my head missed the basket and hit the ground, that would hurt or in might get grit in my eye and wouldn’t have a free hand to wipe it away.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 04:21, Roslyn wrote:
Great link Ian. It worries me how many countries still think Capitol Punishment is ok. What's worse is among the countries considered less "developed" or "civilised" by many, the USA is sadly part of that list.

Drives me mad.

Especially when so many are fighting against things like same-sex marriage, yet are perfectly fine with killing a fellow human in the name of "justice".

Ros, these topics make me mad also.

In the beginning, religions and it’s doctrine was written by man to control man
( primate law and order) Later Government rule was the way for some countries. This took away power from the religious orders who had control. (some still do) As either side never wants to give away it’s power, the battle for control will keep going. You see it everywhere in all countries.

Myth based ideals need there to be an evil or less human condition or way of life so they can have keep control.

One day the power of reason and not mythology will be the order of the day, but not in 100 life times.

These are the real things that bind and chain us.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I think there will always be an opotition trying to get in and take control. There will always be someone else wanting to take over. My vote ....... Is for the winner (which ever one it is.... Ad ill keep swapping shades so I'm on the winning side Smile

As long as I am not forced to do anything I don't want to do I'm happy.

Steve ...... Do you have something planned? You can't wait for your state to drop the death penalty? ......mmmmmm not helping your case on the pre-meditation front! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Chain wraps (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL