We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks Vol. 2 From Big Blind Media (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
JamieD is known as one of the good guys in magic. He could not have written a review like that if he didn't love the dvd. I appreciate the time he took to do it.

Ryan Schlutz performing ‘Sense Santional’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......i4h1aByA

I can do that with a one way forcing deck. How he did this as a self working trick is baffling.
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
I loved the volume 1. I'll order the volume 2 for sure! And probably hope for a volume 3 ;-)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am sold on BOTH volumes just from consistency in excellent reviews I have read from several sources. I'm putting both of these DVD's on my hit list.

Thanks Jamie for turning me on to this and for the SPLENDID review!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 02:39, Liam Montier wrote:
Odd turn this thread has taken!

Just to clarify a couple of points - I hooked Jamie up with a free copy of USWCT 2 because he is a friend of mine and he very kindly helped me put together the bonus PDF for the pre-orders. So, it wasn't technically a 'review copy' for a reviewer, but a gesture to a friend who helped me out.

However, and I can't imagine this is news to anybody, but proper reviews like you read in magic magazine, or genii, or genii online, or magicseen etc, all come from free products. It's pretty standard practice in this business and every other, really.

Anyway, to get back onto topic, I'd be happy to talk about the USWCT 2 and answer any questions. All I will say on the subject is that it is (in my opinion) easily as good as the first one, and personally, I think it's even better.

Cheers,

Liam.
I wouldn't call it an odd turn Liam.

The poster at the beginning of the thread mentioned he'd like to hear a review from someone more impartial. Nothing wrong with that. As you clearly stated Jamie is a friend of yours and was involved in the project. You gave home a copy and he choose to post a review. He gave it a glowing review. Everything was brillant. Now a guys wants to hear a review from someone who's not a friend or connected to the project. Great, nothing wrong with that.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t think any posts here claimed that Jamie's review is biased, unless I missed it. I know I tried to make clear that I don’t believe that to be the case.

I just wanted to comment on the need for disclosures in reviews as a general rule. Sadly, there are a lot of reviews on the Café that aren't quite honest. One need not look far to see some: the numerous, glowing reviews for "Hug" come to mind.

Personally I won't review a product unless I have purchased it. I have been asked to write reviews, about a half dozen or so, over the last couple of years. By that I mean to start a thread with a review for as yet unreleased products, with the product provided to me gratis. In every single case when I stated that I will only review products I have purchased in order to ensure that it is unbiased, I was politely told "Never mind". An eye-opener for me! At other times I have seen outstanding reviews by magicians for a certain type of gimmick coming to market. These same people have told me repeatedly that they never, ever use this or similar gimmicks because they feel the should always be done with sleight-of-hand only. Yet their review claims they use the items regularly and rely on them. Amazing..... to me anyway! Those cases were not about free merchandise but instead as quid pro quo for complementary good reviews of their own products.

It is becoming more and more difficult to sift through the reviews at the Café anymore.

I apologize to BBM for intruding on their thread here with this topic, and I will refrain from any more posts on this thread, other than to actually discuss their product, the Ultimate Self-Working Card Tricks Vol. 2 - which I do believe will be a great product!

Thank you.

Jim
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1763 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I totally didn't mean for this to spark an argument. Really sorry guys!

I understand everyone's point of view but I hope everyone has looked over my previous reviews and known that I am totally honest.

I'd like to say also, I was not actually involved in the project at all. BBM decided to offer a free PDF after the production of the DVD. I love producing and formatting PDFs so Liam simply asked me to make the PDF look a little sexier. That's where my involvement is. Equally, I didn't ask for the product and I was actually going to buy it as I loved the first!

Either way I'm loving performing the effects! Password fallacy is still my fav!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Okay, I'm totally biased as I have a trick on this DVD. But that said, the rest of the tricks are awesome and I feel honored to be on a project with the likes of Peter Duffie, Roy Walton, John G, John Bannon, Ryan Schlutz and all of the other great artists featured on this DVD.

I everyone likes "Convergence". It's become one of my more popular effects.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 15:04, Cameron Francis wrote:
Okay, I'm totally biased as I have a trick on this DVD.
<snip>

Lol, this is why we love you...
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
LOL, Cameron!

So, I'm familiar with most of these:

1. Mind Mirror - the original handling is in Expert Card Technique (Hugard & Braue) - fantasic effect, and a "springboard" of a few recent releases and ideas.
2. Convergence - Francis' own release on his website. There's a reason it's popular. Smile
3. Stock Exchange - John G's Discoveries & Deceptions
4. Sense-stational - Ryan's Making the Cut as well as his Penguin live lecture
5. Poker Pairadox - Bannon's Bullet Party
6. Four most - (Not sure?!?)
7. Password Fallacy - Subsequent Impuzzibilities
8. Amara Rises Again - Against all odds (Rachel Colomini)
9. Blind Choice - Karl Fulves' More Self-Working Card Tricks

I'm sure some of these may be published elsewhere, but within my personal collection, this is where I first learned or read most of these effects, with the exception of Four Most by Peter Duffie, which I've never seen or heard of before. What I can say is that the names of each trick sticks in my mind in part because these are all really great effects! I haven't seen the DVD, but I have seen the Vol. 1 DVD and can say the production quality and teaching was very good. Assuming the Vol. 2 is just as good, this definitely looks like a good release.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the project, and I don't own the DVD, but considering I knew most of the effects I thought I'd chime in and say that if you haven't seen or learned what's on the list, you are in for a treat!
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Wow Cameron Francis likes it so it has to be good right?

Oh Hang on Cameron likes everything.

Having said that I have Volume 1 and it is brilliant so look forward to volume 2
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1930 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 06:32, johndevacmaker wrote:

Everything and Everyone

Don't think he has ever purchased a duff effect or written a bad review

Or

Maybe he does not want to upset any of his mates !
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Uh... okay. Love you guys too.

Nothing like being attacked by trolls on a forum when I've done nothing to deserve it.

First, I'm not a reviewer.

Second, there is plenty of stuff I don't like.

I am under no obligation to post about anything but I like to post about effects that I enjoy. Okay with you guys?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4633 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 16:55, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 06:32, johndevacmaker wrote:

Everything and Everyone

Don't think he has ever purchased a duff effect or written a bad review

Or

Maybe he does not want to upset any of his mates !

He doesn't like your posts. Hahaha!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
V1 was amazing I'll be ordering this for sure!
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1930 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 00:36, Cameron Francis wrote:

Second, there is plenty of stuff I don't like.

Okay with you guys?

I don’t remember seeing one post of an item you don’t like however,

I was making a point that on the café, a lot of people a very quick to post how great things are as they have seen a quick 5 sec demo at a convention

In the UK one of the Top Consumer Review Magazine called “Which” makes a point of not posting reviews from products unless they have actually purchased the item, this avoids the old pals act

As I have previously stated this might not apply to this DVD (I did purchase Vol 1 and thought it was Great) the fact is until the proper reviews come in no one can say for sure, only need to look at Shin Lin Effect “Smoke” everyone was raving about it but once the “Real” Reviews came out it was very clear that it was not as great as certain people had claimed and NOT a worker in the real world!

Same could be said about the self Bending Paper Clip, might be great on You Tube / TV (except you only find out you can’t perform this without permission) something that the early reviews did not mention as this was only posted inside the DVD Box, what was only clear from reading the actual reviews that again this item was hardly a worker, could not perform in walk around and cannot be given out at the end, which after bending an item this is naturally what people would want to look at

This is the Point I was making always best to read a review from someone that has purchased the item
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1763 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Ah c'mon guys! There are enough bad vibes in the world right now without us adding to it!

I am an absolute Big Blind Media Fan Boy. I own pretty much their entire collection of magic DVD's. One of the first DVD sets I brought was Camerons Omega Mutation DVDs from Davenports in London. Ever since then, ive loved their production values, the magic they put out is pretty much always top notch and they are all genuinely lovely people.

Is it not okay to love a series of products not because you may know the people, but rather, because you have a deep found respect for the creators and the production company. Could it be my review was so good not because I wanted to help sell a product or aid friends, but because the DVD is actually pretty awesome!

I have tested nearly every effect on this DVD out now on friends and colleagues and I really do love them. The thought of card method in Ryans Sense Sational is really picking at my brain. I think it can be worked into so many routines and I think it can be adapted to so much more than just cards. I was in a room full of friends a couple of days ago and performed Password Fallacy and with everyone choosing different words, it killed! It is such a great effect. I can imagine for a table of guests at a wedding or something similar, it would be a great little effect! I was thinking it would be quite cute with business cards. Having them write a word on the card on the face of the packet and then going into the effect.

There are a lot of great principles in play in this DVD that many magicians will be able to adapt and play with. Regardless of the questions to the validity of my review, I'm personally LOVING the effects!

More love for the magic, Less hate for each other guys!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of richard_mentalism
We are all going around.
My understanding of JackMagic point, which I believe everyone would agree with, is that a review must be written with no other purpose than providing the reader with an accurate description and a fair unbiased opinion of the effect and of everything related to it (how difficult, how impressive it is, what are the positive sides, the negative ones, etc).
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
304 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 04:43, JackMagic wrote:
As I have previously stated this might not apply to this DVD (I did purchase Vol 1 and thought it was Great) the fact is until the proper reviews come in no one can say for sure, only need to look at Shin Lin Effect “Smoke” everyone was raving about it but once the “Real” Reviews came out it was very clear that it was not as great as certain people had claimed and NOT a worker in the real world!

Same could be said about the self Bending Paper Clip, might be great on You Tube / TV (except you only find out you can’t perform this without permission) something that the early reviews did not mention as this was only posted inside the DVD Box, what was only clear from reading the actual reviews that again this item was hardly a worker, could not perform in walk around and cannot be given out at the end, which after bending an item this is naturally what people would want to look at

This is the Point I was making always best to read a review from someone that has purchased the item

We are talking about a different scenario here though.

With products like "Smoke" and "self bending paperclip" you don't know WHAT you are buying as there is no precedent.
Only the effects those creators have made before of course, but in examples such as smoke and bending paperclip (as for any new magic trick/prop/method) there is justification in waiting for outside reviews.

However in the case of this DVD, this is the second volume to a DVD set that already exists.
If you want to get a sense of what Vol. 2 is going to be like, you need only refer to Vol. 1!

This isn't like smoke where its some new thing where its unknown if it will be any good, Ultimate S-W Cards Tricks Vol. 1 is already out available to purchase and has been reviewed I'm sure.
That already should help people get a sense of what type of product Vol. 2 will be without the need for external reviewing first.
With a product such as this you can decide for yourselves using Volume 1 as a basis!

Also the description of the tricks that you can do on this DVD, the knowledge that they are all S-W, the trailer that shows one of the tricks....all of that on TOP of knowing what Volume 1 was like should be ample to decide if Volume 2 is a product worthy of your cash.
In this case, certainly in my opinion, there is no need for someone else to tell me if this is worth my time.

Volume 1 was great, this looks to have the same quality (why wouldn't it? same people creating it, on the DVD etc.), the tricks sound great.
In this instance I really don't need someone else to tell me 'this is worth getting' before I decide to get it.

if it was a brand new concept of a trick/prop/method then yes, I will want to get a better idea for what I'm buying first from other people, but in THIS CASE, what better example is there than VOLUME 1?? *shrugs*
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I am sure that Volume 2 of USWCT will be as much of a hit as Volume 1 was. I'm looking forward to getting my grubby little hands on it. In the meantime I think all points have been well taken on this thread, so let us not dissolve into a thread on hatin' other magicians or magic. That is SO overdone here on the Café. Peace out.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3255 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Cameron's post could not have been more straightforward and honest. He started off by saying he was biased because he has a trick on the DVD!
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks Vol. 2 From Big Blind Media (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL